Easiest 10gal for college? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #16
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjyhc4 View Post
Wow... my dorm room barely had enough space for two desks, two beds and two dressers. We would have never had the space for a tank that size, lol. I guess with a lofted bed, it would have been possible, but that space was usually reserved for a TV or place to sit other than the desk chair.
I had one of the single suites, it's as big if not a little bigger than the normal doubles
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #17
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
L333, L066, L201, endlers, gardneri killis, and Australe killis

I meant in your 5gals
musicallyplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:32 PM   #18
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicallyplanted View Post

I meant in your 5gals
Never kept a 5, I had a 55 and a 20L
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #19
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...allon-tank.htm

I just read this and sounds fun...
What do you guys think about any of these fish? And what combination would be best? I'm a complete newbie so I know nothing about stocking or really anything at all v.v
Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 PM   #20
seuadr
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

meijer (local walmart type place) has 10 gallon tanks with handles build into it..
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
Never kept a 5, I had a 55 and a 20L
The lack of avatars in this forum is getting me into trouble. XD
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjyhc4 View Post
I've moved at least 10 times in the last 9 years (college, jobs, etc). 10g's are easy enough to pack up and move or even take home for that 3-4 week winter break . 20Ls are much more of a pain. Finding a spot in a cramped dorm room for a 10g is much easier than finding the space for a 3ft 20L. In fact, while I was in the dorms, I never had more than a 5g.

Plants such as moss, anubias, Java Ferns... anything that can be tied to a rock or piece of driftwood are easiest to move and not require a complete rescape when you've reached your destination. You can just pull them out, wrap them in some paper towels and wrap it all up in a plastic bag. I always left my shrimp and substrate in the bottom of the tank with about 1.5" of water, and fish were transported in 1gal plastic jars with screw on lids.

If your school has the same 2yr on-campus housing requirement that mine did, it'll be worth it, until you can get into a place where you'll stay for a couple years without having to leave. By then you'll be much more experienced, your plants will have grown, your shrimp will have populated and you'll be ready to set up a 20L or larger :-)
What fish did you keep in your dorm?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
cjyhc4
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:

I meant in your 5gals
I kept RCS and a few Endlers in my 5g. When I ended up with too many plants or babies, I convinced my friends to get tanks and gave them away :-).
Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM   #24
Pooky125
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125

My boyfriends had a 10 gallon tank running for about 3 years now. He does a water change every few weeks, and tosses in some shrimp pellets every few days and other then that, it's pretty much good to go.

His setup is a standard wallyworld 10 gallon tank, with 2 13 watt PC bulbs in the hood, and a sponge filter. Miracle Grow Organics Choice Potting Mix, under a mix of pea gravel and eco complete. He planted it with a few kinds of crypts, bolbitus, java moss, anacharis, and duckweed. About a year and a half ago, I gave him 4 cherry shrimp to start his colony off with, and now it holds pretty steady at about 75-100 shrimp in the tank, with little to no effort on his part. Low care, easy, and inexpensive. I go through and thin out his plants for him every year or so, but otherwise he just lets it run free and jungle up as much as possible.
Pooky125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
Ashnic05
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/a...allon-tank.htm

I just read this and sounds fun...
What do you guys think about any of these fish? And what combination would be best? I'm a complete newbie so I know nothing about stocking or really anything at all v.v
Sparkling Gouramis are one of my favorites and they stay small. Great for a community. Neons and Glowfish really do better in a larger tank, as they feel much more secure in larger schools (they also look better). Cherry shrimp, as previously stated, would be a good 'starter shrimp' for you. Pencilfish can be a bit more sensitive so I would advise against those.
All in mail never clinking.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien

FINNEX CLUB MEMBER!

Last edited by Ashnic05; 03-03-2013 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: .
Ashnic05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #26
DaveK
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As much as I love this hobby, and would hate to give it up, the best choice of a tank for a college dorm might be none at all.

Your going to have enough other things going on at college with out the fish to worry about. You also never know when someone will dump something into the tank to "see if the fish like it".

I'm not saying don't keep a tank, but consider your options carefully.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:18 PM   #27
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
As much as I love this hobby, and would hate to give it up, the best choice of a tank for a college dorm might be none at all.

Your going to have enough other things going on at college with out the fish to worry about. You also never know when someone will dump something into the tank to "see if the fish like it".

I'm not saying don't keep a tank, but consider your options carefully.
I understand what you're saying. The reason for me wanting a tank is that I am SO use to having pets and a tank is the only thing i'll be allowed. I'm not set in stone that I want one, but I'm considering it.

Thank you for your words of wisdom.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #28
Kyguylal
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a 6.6 in my dorm, but I used to have a five. Shrimp are easy. Honestly, I just left them with the lights off and heater on over winter break. I came back to more than I had left.

Not much maintenance at all. Some mosses, floaters, ferns, and stems. All low/medium light. I can't study in my room because I get easily distracted, so I just put it right on my desk. Endlers going in next week
Kyguylal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #29
seuadr
Planted Member

you know, if you can find a tank with a solid closing hood it wouldn't be hard at all to move it full. I just picked up a biocube 8 gallon and i feel pretty confident that i could just pick it up and walk off with it because of the solid closing top.
seuadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #30
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/99%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky125 View Post
My boyfriends had a 10 gallon tank running for about 3 years now. He does a water change every few weeks, and tosses in some shrimp pellets every few days and other then that, it's pretty much good to go.

His setup is a standard wallyworld 10 gallon tank, with 2 13 watt PC bulbs in the hood, and a sponge filter. Miracle Grow Organics Choice Potting Mix, under a mix of pea gravel and eco complete. He planted it with a few kinds of crypts, bolbitus, java moss, anacharis, and duckweed. About a year and a half ago, I gave him 4 cherry shrimp to start his colony off with, and now it holds pretty steady at about 75-100 shrimp in the tank, with little to no effort on his part. Low care, easy, and inexpensive. I go through and thin out his plants for him every year or so, but otherwise he just lets it run free and jungle up as much as possible.

I also agree with this. Go acrylic tank (no trimming and weighs nothing compared to glass). Simple led lights (this makes no algae from old bulbs and you dont have to replace the bulbs).

Less maintenance the better.

10g acrylic, with finnex led fuegray-with red, flourite substrate, low light plants, aquaclear 20 filter, glass top to prevent evaportation. Cherry shrimp.
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10gal, college, easy set ups