Easiest 10gal for college?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #1
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Smile

Easiest 10gal for college?

This summer, I wanted to take an old 10gal I have and make a planted tank for college. (We're allowed to have up to 20gal, but as a beginner, that sounds scary.)

So, yeah. I don't know anything. At all. I'm currently reading the stickys but I wanted to know what you guys think would be the easiet set up and stock for a college kid. A tank I wouldn't have to worry about constantly but would kind of take care of itself.

I want to plant because from what I understand, planted tanks are like an ecosystem and I won't have to do many water changes/etc.

So, from top to bottom what do you think the easiest set up would be?

Thanks!
musicallyplanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Kitsune_Gem
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitsune_Gem

Honestly I'd go for a 20 long. As soon as you get a 10 gallon up and running, and looking nice.. You'll kick your self for not getting a bigger tank in the first place. Yes, it will be a bit harder to move around since its bigger.. But you can do so much more with it
Old 03-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

I'll take that into consideration...I might be giving my turtle a bigger tank soon and then I could use his 20gal long.

I just don't want anything too stressful to have during college.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Shrimps!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

I hope to include some shrimps. XD
But which ones?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
aznartist34
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

A 20 long would be too much hassle for a freshman that is dorming. You have to plan for winter break and spring break and eventually moving it out at the end of the year. Easiest thing with a 10 gallon is shrimps and moss and low light plants.
aznartist34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
mitchfish9
Planted Tank Nation

PTrader: (3/100%)

A 20l shrimp tank would be about as easy and low maintenance as they come... don't even bother with fish IMO and do a variety of neo(cherry shrimp). You can get fire red, blue, orange, yellow, and even more varieties to choose from. Super hardy and stress free! Also make it a low tech tank with anubias, moss, ect that doesn't require pressurized co2.
mitchfish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

Okay, I'm tending to agree with the idea of 20l being too much for me, at least my first year in a dorm, as I'll be coming home for all the breaks and for the long breaks bringing it back with me. (I'll probably upgrade to a 20l when I get my off-campus apartment next fall.)

So, low light plants, moss, shrimps. Got it.

If i wanted to add a couple fish or other invertebrates, what would be the easiest choices? I'm not talking like huge numbers of fish or anything.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznartist34 View Post
A 20 long would be too much hassle for a freshman that is dorming. You have to plan for winter break and spring break and eventually moving it out at the end of the year. Easiest thing with a 10 gallon is shrimps and moss and low light plants.
I kept a 55 planted tank in my dorm room my whole freshman year. It's not much work at all, I still found time to play lacrosse, study, hang out and maintain it. I'd actually say larger tanks are easier simply due to how easy it is to maintain good water chemistry in them
pmcarbrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

Oh wow. What school allowed a 55gal?! Good Lord. haha
Now I'm wavering. Hmm
Old 03-03-2013, 07:13 PM   #11
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

University of Florida, I had a 55 against the wall and a 20L on top of my dresser
Old 03-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #12
cjyhc4
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

I've moved at least 10 times in the last 9 years (college, jobs, etc). 10g's are easy enough to pack up and move or even take home for that 3-4 week winter break . 20Ls are much more of a pain. Finding a spot in a cramped dorm room for a 10g is much easier than finding the space for a 3ft 20L. In fact, while I was in the dorms, I never had more than a 5g.

Plants such as moss, anubias, Java Ferns... anything that can be tied to a rock or piece of driftwood are easiest to move and not require a complete rescape when you've reached your destination. You can just pull them out, wrap them in some paper towels and wrap it all up in a plastic bag. I always left my shrimp and substrate in the bottom of the tank with about 1.5" of water, and fish were transported in 1gal plastic jars with screw on lids.

If your school has the same 2yr on-campus housing requirement that mine did, it'll be worth it, until you can get into a place where you'll stay for a couple years without having to leave. By then you'll be much more experienced, your plants will have grown, your shrimp will have populated and you'll be ready to set up a 20L or larger :-)
Old 03-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
musicallyplanted
Algae Grower

That sounds awesome!
What fish did you have in your tank?
Old 03-03-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
pmcarbrey
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicallyplanted View Post
That sounds awesome!
What fish did you have in your tank?
L333, L066, L201, endlers, gardneri killis, and Australe killis
Old 03-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #15
cjyhc4
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcarbrey View Post
I kept a 55 planted tank in my dorm room my whole freshman year. It's not much work at all, I still found time to play lacrosse, study, hang out and maintain it. I'd actually say larger tanks are easier simply due to how easy it is to maintain good water chemistry in them
Wow... my dorm room barely had enough space for two desks, two beds and two dressers. We would have never had the space for a tank that size, lol. I guess with a lofted bed, it would have been possible, but that space was usually reserved for a TV or place to sit other than the desk chair.

Tags
10gal, college, easy set ups