Dual Sponge filter for Cube tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Dual Sponge filter for Cube tank

I've decided to get a dual sponge filter for a cube tank that
I'm getting, is it too big for the cube? Dimensions of cube: 12L, 12W, 12H. On the description it says on amazon, size 11.6 inches. Would there be any problems with such a large item in a small tank? Or is it just not... eye candy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wouldn't it be better to get an internal filter with spray bar? Sponge filter has no airflow even the dual one. I had them before. And if you intend to stick another filter in a small cube tank it would be too cramped.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
sayurasem
SCAPEr

Well you only have .4" of space where the bubble will burp out (with no substrate). The power suction of that sponge will be weak.
If I remember correctly the more space you have for the bubble to travel to the surface of water, the stronger the suction of a sponge filter, in addition to the amount of air pumped.

I would suggest you to get an hob palm filter.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Either this internal filter
Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: TOM Aquarium Mini Internal Filter 45gph adjustable flow: Pet Supplies

Or Sayurasem suggestion nano hob filter
Amazon.com: Finnex Pure-5 Power Aquarium Filter: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Finnex Pure-5 Power Aquarium Filter: Pet Supplies

I used them all. Sponge filter really just a substitution for bio medias and oxygen. Totally relied on one wouldn't be enough unless you have a massive air pump and enough depth.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
sharonluvd
Algae Grower

I use a double barrel sponge filter that sticks to the glass on a 60p. each sponge is about 8cm (3in) tall, and 5 cm (2in) diameter.. so i'm not sure if that helps you decide but you don't have to necessarily use a sponge that's sooo tall if you are going the sponge filter route.. there are other options to choose from.

It's obviously not the most pleasing if you are worried about eye candy.. but works for what i use it for.

Also, it's being run off like a whisper 60 and that feeds more than one tank ... just my .02
sharonluvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (441/100%)

Huh?

I use double sponge filters in all kinds of tanks and have tons of flow - both water and air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
Wouldn't it be better to get an internal filter with spray bar? Sponge filter has no airflow even the dual one. I had them before. And if you intend to stick another filter in a small cube tank it would be too cramped.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
abc
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

I like using two filters: the dual sponge

and an azoo nano filters

The dual sponge will take up one whole side (width/shorter side edge) of your tank but you want the water surface agitation that the sponge provides.

But also try: Try an azoo 60 filter. You want the water circulation the azoo provides. I learned early on that most of my algae woes was caused by poor circulation of water and without changing other perimeters, adding extra filtration got rid of much of the algae. I would invest in good filtration

Last edited by somewhatshocked; 03-02-2013 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Links included referral IDs
abc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm really "broke" ATM, and I just want to get a sponge
filter temporarily, so there are no bad concerns about
it right? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
sharonluvd
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinection View Post
I'm really "broke" ATM, and I just want to get a sponge
filter temporarily, so there are no bad concerns about
it right? Thanks.
well.. i wouldn't go with your original sponge filter choice due to the size.. but I personally would go with a smaller one..

also, I don't know what equipment you currently have or the setup of what you are doing, but if you are starting with nothing...and do end up going with like a palm 60 or 150 hob... you're spending just about the same as getting an airpump, airline hose and sponge filter...

so if it's a financial issue... then buy what's cheaper..
sharonluvd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

^^ Just like what Sharon said, spending almost the same amount of HOB or Internal filter for a sponge filter is not worth it.

If you can't spend $15 for just hob or internal filter you really should think about keeping shrimp. Filter is not even the most expensive item for shrimp keeping. Lighting, soil, chemicals are your top priority.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)

I don't know where all this sponge filter hate is coming from. They are excellent for any size shrimp tank. I've run 20 gallons off a single sponge filter with no problem. one will be fine for your nano, though a smaller one would be better.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #12
sayurasem
SCAPEr

Its not hate. Its because OP's sponge filter is way too big for his tank. I mean .4" to the top of the tank with no substrate. So when he put substrate in, the sponge filter tube will be sticking out.

Plus when it comes down to price, I'm pretty sure an HOB palm filter is more cheaper than Sponge + air pump + airline cost combine. Don't forget the space he will be saving with an HOB filter, and the noise pollution from sponge filter (bubble noise).
Old 03-02-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieM View Post
^^ Just like what Sharon said, spending almost the same amount of HOB or Internal filter for a sponge filter is not worth it.

If you can't spend $15 for just hob or internal filter you really should think about keeping shrimp. Filter is not even the most expensive item for shrimp keeping. Lighting, soil, chemicals are your top priority.
I would get a HOB, but my parents think that a HOB will definetly leak water onto our floor (wood). I'm just tight on money ATM, since I just got ADA Amazonia(40$) (overkill on buffering 9L), about to get 30$ 7.5 Cube, need to get a 25$ giftcard to get 42$ on Amazon to get FugeRay 12", and 10 CRS for 30$. It's kind of "expensive" for a 12 year old, wouldn't you say? I'll keep that filter in mind though. Dimensions of the tank are 12L,12H,12W, so the sponge wouldn't stick out... not that I think...
My air pump is recommend for 100G, so I'm definetly safe with that.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #14
sayurasem
SCAPEr

Oops you didn't mention you already have an air pump hehe
Old 03-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #15
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

100g air pump in a small tank like that? Make sure to reduce the airflow then. But just remember what others said about the surface height and sponge filter.

Also HOB filter doesn't leak water into the carpet/floor unless u damage it by cracking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.