Petsmart Price Matching!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (28/100%)
Send a message via MSN to esarkipato

Petsmart Price Matching!!!

Okay, this is likely old news to 95% of you. But Petsmart will pricematch other stores, as well as it's OWN ONLINE SITE! (www.petsmart.com)

I needed a new heater, and I found the RENA Cal-Top 50W heater, for $18. Seemed like a good deal, right? So I went in there, and they are selling it for $30!!!!! I brought it to the cashier, who happened to be the store manager, and asked if they would match their online price w/out a printout. He said sure, but next time bring the online printout. So I told him it was $13.99. Heh, he just punched in the numbers and WHALA, over 50% off!

So for those of you that shop petsmart, take a look at the website prices first!

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

MY RENA FILSTAR XP3 PIMPS ME! (#67)
esarkipato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
dharris
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to dharris

Are you sure, they will price match? I have asked if at one time or another, and have been told no by the store that they cannot meet their online store price. Now this was some time ago, things may have changed.
dharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #3
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

PetSmart's policies seem to vary widely from store to store, and even among various managers at a particular store.

esarkipato, I'm curious - how do you personally justify telling them the incorrect price?
While I will always aggressively pursue a deal, I don't think I would be comfortable with that.

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
eds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
jgc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had them pricematch their web on a 250 HOT from $90 to $50
58 gallon oceanic, 250w 10k pendent, pressurized co2, eheim pimp #179 - 2217 and diffuser
jgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #5
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

eds, I only realize the price of thier online heater was 17.99 this morning, when I posted.

Last night before I went to the store I was shopping around online, and visited who knows how many stores including Ebay. When I approached the cashier/manager with my question, I was just suprised when he asked me how much it was ~ "you're asking me?" I thought! I blurted out the price I thought I remembered, and he accepted that blindly!

I actually do feel pretty bad about scamming petsmart for, what, like $4! I guess I have a good conscience. But seriously, with that markup (66%!), corporate petsmart is scamming plenty of innocent fishkeepers!

So eds, I guess my personal justification is forgetfulness! Not to mention the ignorance of a Petsmart store manager.

The point of my thread is to raise the awareness of anyone who was not previously . . . er . . . altogether . . . ahem . . . aware!

29 Gallon Tank: 110W PC Lights, Milwaukee MA957 CO2, Fluorite/Sand Substrate, Checked into E.I. Rehab

Old 02-02-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
eds
Wannabe Guru

That's cool.
I can well imagine being in the same position myself, thinking "Why, heck, I might as well have said they were giving them away free!"

I'm sorry that I mistakenly interpreted your OP as suggesting that you knew the correct price and intentionally told them an incorrect and lower price.
I'm glad to hear that is not what happened.

Like I said, I'm as aggressive as anyone in pursuing a bargain and taking advantage of businesses' screw-ups.
But the way I incorrectly interpreted your post seemed to me to fall somewhere on the slope towards switching packaging and pricetags, and worse.

And - even worse than doing it (IMO) would be coming into a message board and bragging about it!
Not quite consistent with the standards of this joint.

Many folks do not appreciate how often the marked sticker price can be viewed merely as a starting point for negotiation.
Tho for me it generally needs to be a relatively big ticket item for the haggling to be worth my while.
But - as my dad used to say, "There's no harm in asking, so long as you are willing to accept 'No' for an answer."

If I were going into a PetSmart for anything other than a minor spur-of-the moment purchase, I'd be sure I had their on-line printouts as well as their competitors.
No harm in asking!

Old 02-02-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
beviking
Planted Member

PTrader: (62/100%)

I agree with you eds. Glad to hear your side of it esarkipato. I too could see myself not remembering the price. But then, I'd be one to go back and give them the $4 Call me stupid

-be
beviking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
whitepine
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)

I have taken advantage of there price matching more than once. It is definitely ymmv to each store/manager. Most will match there online prices though... not always competitors. They will some times even let you use competitors coupons, but not both.

Check out their return policy as well.... this to is ymmv.

Cheers, Whitepine
Eheim Pimp #104!

46 Gallon corner tank, 220 watt cf, custom canopy, co2 w/controller.
20 Gallon, 110 cf highlight tank, co2 w/controller.
18 high 24 watt cf, 36 watt ODNO ghetto paintball co2 setup.
60 Gallon river tank, .5 gallon nano tank, and 8 other tanks for fish and propagation.....
whitepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 06:22 PM   #9
Georgiadawgger
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

This has been discussed a lot within the past year...and eds is right, a lot of managers are becoming aware and will only price match Petsmart's website prices...which are sometimes cheaper. A while back I got 6 bags of flouorite for $9.99 each (petsolutions.com price a year ago).
Old 02-02-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Last week I think it was, I decided I probably needed to replace my AP master test kit since it was well over a year old. Just as I was walking out the door, I said to myself --- "Hmmm, I better check the PetsMart online price." Did so, and printed it out showing the online $13.49 pricetag. Got to the store and they wanted $27.95 for the kit ?!? I'd never tried price-matching before, so I verified with the cashier who said "...As long as you've got a printout," when I checked out. The manager who came to the register to do the price-match seemed really surprised at the price difference and in fact said "Half-price? That's insane!" Maybe. But I sure as heck wasn't going to buy a kit for $27.95 when I could order it online at umpteen different places for about $14.00. The savings on that one item alone would pay for shipping.

Interestingly enough, when I dropped by a couple of days later to pick up some cat-food, there didn't seem to be any AP kits on the shelf. Think they had a run on them ?

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #11
krazykidd86
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (45/100%)

I pricematch all the time at Petsmart. Sometimes the manager will reject me. But I go in at a different time later during the day, or next day and get another one to do the match. I know which one will and which one won't. Just keep going, and keep trying. It never hurts.

BTW Ernie, Rena Cal Excel Heater stinks. I would return it and go price match a visitherm stealth heater. You'll get stable constant temp with a visitherm, and major flux with the rena.

Best of Luck!

the KK
krazykidd86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
esarkipato
Wannabe Guru

RATS! thx for the advice KK, I've noticed already some problems with the, shall we say, "adjustability" of the RENA.

I wonder if they will let me return it after being in the tank for a day . . . maybe if I give them back their $4 LOL

EDIT: now that I look at the visitherm online, I remember they didn't have any in stock. I guess I could just pay the shipping . . .

Old 02-02-2006, 08:34 PM   #13
eds
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
I wonder if they will let me return it after being in the tank for a day . . . maybe if I give them back their $4 LOL
No, man. What you have to do is say you forgot your receipt, and return it for $30!

Old 02-02-2006, 11:28 PM   #14
Wilder
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by esarkipato
EDIT: now that I look at the visitherm online, I remember they didn't have any in stock. I guess I could just pay the shipping . . .
Foster and Smith has the visitherm stealth heaters on sale... mine just came today. I had to order some other things anyway, so even with paying for shipping it's not a bad price in the end. Locally the stealth heaters start at $32.

Though darn, if I had known about the pricematching sooner... seems odd that they have the online price so much cheaper than in-store. Definitely a handy thing to know for the future!
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #15
Overfloater
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)

I had Petsmart price match an XP3. It was $90 on their website and $170 in the store! They said "no problem, just print out the webpage and bring it in." Even the manager who had to provide the autohrization to allow the discount to go through, seemed surprised it was so cheap on their website.