Shrimps "hanging" near the surface, something to be alarmed?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-23-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (370/100%)
Question

Shrimps "hanging" near the surface, something to be alarmed?

The NEW Amazonia tank my bf and I set up together had been running for about 3 months now looks about all set and ready for some CRS/CBS...yet again

We introduced Neos for a couple weeks now and they are all doing fine. Grazing, eating, molting just fine. Some even got berried during this time! Only a few deaths because they got sucked up into the bigger/stronger updated canister filter (opps! ).

Everything checks out, but one thing that concerns me is the shrimps that are constantly near the surface of the tank. Looks like they are eating something from the suction cups hold the spray-bar. Nevertheless, they are always there! It couldn't have that much food stuck on the spraybar...

Parameters
TDS - 120ppm
pH - 6.0 or below. My API test kit shows 6.0 as the lowest it'll go.
gH - 4.5/5
kH - 0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Lights - On for 12 hours a day. 3 on/off cycles. 4 hours each cycle.
Filtration - 2213 and Zoomed 501. The 2213 pushes the current mid-tank. The 501 creates a current from the surface. Lots of surface agitation.
CO2 - 0.5 - 1 bubble per second on 24/7.
Water - 100% R/O re-mineralized with Mosura Plus Ultra
Dosage - Gravidas, Shield, Stout and Bebi

If anything I think its the pH being too low? Without the CO2 on 24/7 I am getting a 6.0 reading already. I have a drop checker and its always reading about 5.5-6.0 only. Is that just simply too low for Neos? They went from a 6.5+ pH tank over...

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

12G Mr. Aqua Journal - My 1st Iwagumi Rimless
17G Mr. Aqua Journal - My Shrimp Tank
RAOK Club #35 Sharing IS Caring
MsNemoShrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Your params seem more spot on for crs than neos, but some people keep neo's in those params.

I see you're doing CO2, do you have lots of surface agitation though to help keep the O2 in balance with the CO2.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
Puddles
quack quack quack

PTrader: (23/100%)
Default Shrimps "hanging" near the surface, something to be alarmed?

Could they be hanging on directly beneath the bar as it is the only place in the tank with no current? Maybe you have too much current? I dunno other than that I can't hazard a guess.
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)

If it's an oxygen problem I'd run an airstone in there and see if they start to come down. Might help eliminate one explanation. If the pH was affecting them that much I'd highly doubt they would be breeding. But that's just a guess. If I saw it I would add an airstone. I have a spraybar on my tank along with a dual sponge filter at one end. I noticed all the shrimps hung out on the end with the sponge filter, despite a spray bar running the length of the tank. And I don't mean ON the sponge filter, they just stayed on that end. I ran a small airstone at the other end of the tank and viola, they started roaming the whole tank and going to the other end. And I don't do any CO2 but they still apparently weren't happy with the oxygen level in the tank. YMMV
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Lack of O2 makes them act weird, sometimes in different ways but as Raven said, an airstone or sponge filter if you're not running one or maybe need more would help elminate it.

I would assume, and only speaking on guessing here, that the water near the top of the tank is more rich in O2 than the bottom, where shrimp normally hang out. If the bottom is lacking, they would move up to get close to more O2 rich water.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
mordalphus
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)

Sounds like too much flow, what size tank is it?
mordalphus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Maybe just weird shrimp? My shrimps like to climb on my aqueon quite flow spout, which is the strongest current at.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

My Yellow die in 5.5-6.0 PH level. Maybe your Neo is uncomfortable in that CRS/CBS environment and needed some air. Try using air stone as suggested by others. Or you might have to find them a new home.
CookieM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:18 PM   #9
I3raven
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Is there anything on the suction cups? They might be feeding on diatoms. My Clown Loaches and snails use to hang around the suction cups to feed on diatoms if they are hungry.
I3raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:01 AM   #10
MsNemoShrimp

Usually at most I would spot no more than 6 up there. Normally about 2-4 at a time only. When its feeding time they would all come down.

Its a tank with 60+ shrimps so with that amount at the top perhaps couldn't be bad water other than pH or O2 as mentioned?

The tank is a 17 Mr. Aqua. It has a strong surface agitation, but its not strong in which the Amazonia is being pushed around or anything. The fissidens would sway back and forth and so does the other moss, again, not crazy like things are blown away.

Realistically though after all the substrate is in, it only took 12 gallons of RO water to fill up the tank. 1 inch waterline from the rim of the tank. This sparks another question. So when dosing, does that mean I should dose only equivalent to actually how much water is in the tank which is 12 gallons or the whole volume of the tank which is 17 gallon?

With a little sidetrack on the side, I will definitely try out an airstone. If they all come down then hope that's it!

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 02-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #11
alexopolus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via MSN to alexopolus Send a message via Yahoo to alexopolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNemoShrimp View Post
Usually at most I would spot no more than 6 up there. Normally about 2-4 at a time only. When its feeding time they would all come down.

Its a tank with 60+ shrimps so with that amount at the top perhaps couldn't be bad water other than pH or O2 as mentioned?

The tank is a 17 Mr. Aqua. It has a strong surface agitation, but its not strong in which the Amazonia is being pushed around or anything. The fissidens would sway back and forth and so does the other moss, again, not crazy like things are blown away.

Realistically though after all the substrate is in, it only took 12 gallons of RO water to fill up the tank. 1 inch waterline from the rim of the tank. This sparks another question. So when dosing, does that mean I should dose only equivalent to actually how much water is in the tank which is 12 gallons or the whole volume of the tank which is 17 gallon?

With a little sidetrack on the side, I will definitely try out an airstone. If they all come down then hope that's it!
Try running a air stone (timer) when your lights are off (I do this with all my tanks with CO2), that will oxygenate your water during the night (remember plants also need oxygen at night) and when the lights come on your plants will do the job. I have my planted tanks with neos and It doesn't seem to bug them (I run 3 bps in a 45G). Also keep a eye on your PH ( I'm not sure about this, if some one else could explain it better) and Kh, if Kh is low you will have more CO2 available in the water (someone help me with this thought).

Now when dosing, I don't know witch method you are doing (EI, etc etc) I prefer to dose or the amount of water ( just to be on the safe side) that way you don't overdose and hurt your shrimp. I usual dose tank volume to planted tanks with no shrimp. Again it depends. I use ADA fertz in my CRS tank, and the ADA rep in Florida recommended me 1/2 dose for CRS.
alexopolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Picture of the tank would be great
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #13
MsNemoShrimp

I haven't had a chance to try out the airstone method yet, but since last night I raised the spray bar a little so there is a bit more "noise". Its more like water shooting down on the surface and noticed only 2 on the suction cups this morning as opposed to 4-5 that I normally see in the morning. So basically does that confirm its the lack of O2? I really rather use that method than an airstone because the tank is literally 3 feet from my bed and our floor is wood so the sound would definitely travel

I don't dose any ferts other than perhaps once a month of the Flourish Comprehensive stuff. Dose about 1/2 the recommended amount too. The rest I am referring to is like Stout, Bebi, Shield, etc. if I should dose by volume of the entire tank or just volume of water

Old 02-24-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

Guess you should have stated it was only 4 or 5 hanging out at the top, out of 60. That's normal as all 60 shrimp aren't always going to be in the same spot. With 4 or 5 out of 60, I wouldn't worry about it then. I can see 2 crs right now on my thermometer at the top of my tank, but out of 70 or 80, it's not a concern.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
Old 02-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
MsNemoShrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Guess you should have stated it was only 4 or 5 hanging out at the top, out of 60. That's normal as all 60 shrimp aren't always going to be in the same spot. With 4 or 5 out of 60, I wouldn't worry about it then. I can see 2 crs right now on my thermometer at the top of my tank, but out of 70 or 80, it's not a concern.
Should have put that on the OP right? Post #10 is when I clarified. Oppsy! Yeah and with the spraybar adjusted to shoot water down at the water surface, they look like they loving it now. Swimming all over the place and gliding across the water like superman until they get blown away by the current at some point. Lol.

Hopefully I don't have to resort to an airstone/pump. Is the adjusted spraybar method the best alternative to no having to use an airstone/pump?