Repeat Question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 03-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Repeat Question

This question has been asked many times and there are many threads here that I have reviewed. I apologize for repeating. I have a low tech tank start and want to add more plants. I have three anubius and three java ferns. I added two unknown bulb plants and some hair grass from a LFS a month ago.

The new plants are not doing well, about half the leaves have melted away and the other half have holes and are headed the same. The java and anubius have been in for about 3 months and show no signs of doing anything. A bit of algae which I try and clean off periodically.

Now my question, maybe there is too much good information here. What are two or three plants that will grow with low to medium light, good substrate, no CO2, low application of dry fertz (I am adding the recommended daily dose on a weekly basis), and will grow at a faster rate as compared with other low light plants. I understand that low tech is slow growth but after three months I would have suspected something.

thanks Mark
MarkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
DefStatic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Might help if you list what your equipment and setup is. You may think you have low to medium light, but may very well be low to low.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #3
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Light Values

I have done a bit of study on lighting as it seemed that the more I read the more variances I found in terms of what is correct. I wound up buying a Par meter and ran tests this past week end.

First, your question, I have a 50G tank with 18" sides, 3" of substrate, a black plastic tank top with an opening for my light fixture, fixture is sitting on top, approx 1/5" bulb to water. Fixture is a 2 x 54watt T5HO and I have 6700K bulbs. I have been running on 1 x bulb as the charts I have seen indicate that this is enough.

I measured Par values at six places within my tank all on the substrate. I measured with both T5 bulbs on and my values ranged from 63-75. Then I retested with 1 bulb only on and my values were 39-48.

The standards I am using are:
Low light - 15-30 micromols of PAR
Medium light - 35-50 micromols of PARproblems
High light - more than 50 micromols of PAR

The values I have are similar to those published for similar fixtures and bulbs but different manufacturer. I am planning to raise my fixture 2-3" to reduce the light hopefully down to a level under 30 micromols.
Mark
Old 03-11-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd suggest some Hygro, Crypts, and mosses. All will do well and should give you growth in a month. Watch for the crypts 'melting' at first, but once accustomed to the water partameters they'll give out steady slow growth.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you all. I will look for some Hygro, Crypts, and moss and give those a try.

Mark
Old 03-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Brian Mc
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Who makes the light? Inquiring minds want to know!
Brian Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
MarkM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My fixture is made by Current USA. I think it is OK or avg. The reflector seems to work well and I get about the expected amount of light. Bulbs are GE 6700Ks.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
MamaFish
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

+1 on hygro! My water wisteria (hygrophilia difformis) has grown a few inches in my low tech and I've only had it in there a week. Also, it's kinda ugly (imo), but anacharis is growing very quickly in my tank too. I think Java fern and anubias are slow growers in general. I know mine aren't really showing any growth either. The anubias looks exactly the same as the day I planted it, and the Javas look pretty sad. I'm hoping they bounce back.
MamaFish is offline   Reply With Quote