Aqua soil or shrimp stratum?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
SupaTank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Aqua soil or shrimp stratum?

I was gonna go with ada, but my local fish store just got some fluval shrimp stratum. I was wondering if anyone can shine some light on ada aqua soil vs fluval shrimp stratum; which is better for HQ shrimp (crs,oebt,etc..?)

Please be specific which ADA aqua soil you used(new amazonia, malaya, etc..)? What's beneficial/wrong with it or if you can do it again, would you go with something completely different. thks, this will help me save a few buck and narrow down my decision.
SupaTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
plamski
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

For CRS ADA. Best quality in general. Hold PH longer.PH will be 5.5-6.2
For tigers I'll pick Azoo Plant Grower Bed Substrate It will keep PH in 6.5.looks very nice
They have black and brown. For blue tiger I'm using brown substrate. For Red and TT –black.
FSS is the last in my list. I'm sorry but they have to fix their quality control first.
plamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaTank View Post
I was gonna go with ada, but my local fish store just got some fluval shrimp stratum. I was wondering if anyone can shine some light on ada aqua soil vs fluval shrimp stratum; which is better for HQ shrimp (crs,oebt,etc..?)

Please be specific which ADA aqua soil you used(new amazonia, malaya, etc..)? What's beneficial/wrong with it or if you can do it again, would you go with something completely different. thks, this will help me save a few buck and narrow down my decision.
I prefer ADA New Amazonia. I tried Fluval Shrimp Stratum in a tank right next to an Amazonia tank with similar water parameters, and I had poor survival of babies in the FSS tank relative to the Amazonia tank. I have stuck with Amazonia since them. I know some people have had success with FSS, but that was not my experience. I can say that all of the breeders I know with high grade CRS or Taiwan Bees use Amazonia.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
Originally Posted by plamski View Post
For CRS ADA. Best quality in general. Hold PH longer.PH will be 5.5-6.2
For tigers I'll pick Azoo Plant Grower Bed Substrate It will keep PH in 6.5.looks very nice
They have black and brown. For blue tiger I'm using brown substrate. For Red and TT –black.
FSS is the last in my list. I'm sorry but they have to fix their quality control first.
Does the Azoo soil leach any Ammonia?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

You know that baby survival as more to do with supplementing the tank with enzymes, bacteria, aeration and not solely reliant on the substrate alone... Aquasoil has one up over FSS for shrimp in that its full of nutrients whereas FSS is just an medium grade cec equivalent substrate devout of anything beneficial for plants or shrimp. One of the good things about FSS is that you can use it almost immediately to setup a shrimp tank as it does not leech ammonia as As would. but that's about it...

for cost and sake of time, i would use FSS.

If i had time and cost were no object, i'd get AS and wait a full 8-10 weeks for a proper cycle after adding Penac P, Penac W, Clear water, Tourmaline BC, and bacter 100...

that's likely $30 bucks versus $250
Old 03-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
You know that baby survival as more to do with supplementing the tank with enzymes, and not solely reliant on the substrate alone...
You mean supplementing with micro-organism powder food, like Ebibacter?

Sure, but, as I said in the above post, I treated each tank the same. I had higher survival in the Amazonia tank, and the only difference in the treatment was the substrate.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

um there's a whole lot more to increasing baby survival rate than simply dashing ebi bacter in a tank...

If it were that straight forward, it would be raining CRS' and they would be worth $1 each these days...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
um there's a whole lot more to increasing baby survival rate than simply dashing ebi bacter in a tank...

If it were that straight forward, it would be raining CRS' and they would be worth $1 each these days...
Really? Umm.....

It's funny then that I have 100s, and 100s, of CRS, CBS, and Taiwan babies and adults, and all I do is feed a balanced diet, including pollem foods with various microrganism powders. EBI, Shirakuri, Borneo Wild, etc...

Unless those aforementioned powder foods contain enzymes, I haven't added any enzyme supplements to any of my tanks, and I have fantastic survival rates.

Again, what I said in my first post is that I treated two tanks the same, and the only difference was the type of substrate I used.

By the way, if everyone used enzyme supplements in their shrimp-keeping, it would not be "raining CRS."

Old 03-01-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Bear in mind, this thread is more for the OP and less about our own personal successes...
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
ThatGuyWithTheFish
perugiae

PTrader: (23/100%)

AS for crystals and FSS for tigers.

"Boulders-Upon-Meadow"

My Golden Rule of planted tanks: WWTAD-
"What would Takashi Amano do?"

RAOK Club #69
ThatGuyWithTheFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

Quote:
Bear in mind, this thread is more for the OP and less about our own personal successes...
Of course. Let's get back to what you posted.

Quote:
You know that baby survival as more to do with supplementing the tank with enzymes, and not solely reliant on the substrate alone...
You are suggesting here that dosing enzymes is more important than the choice of substrate.

Now, I can tell you from my (successful) experience that this claim is far-fetched, to say the least.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
Puddles
Suspended

PTrader: (26/100%)
Default Aqua soil or shrimp stratum?

Acitydweller have you used fss with Crs or tbs successfully?
Puddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #13
peter_l
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

FWIW, I am using Fluval Shrimp Stratum in my 3 gal. cherry shrimp tank. That tank is producing at least 500 shrimp every 3 or 4 months.

I used to keep cherries and tigers in a larger tank with EcoComplete. That tank was producing at least a thousand of each over the course of a year.

As far as food goes, they are fed a mix of flake, pellet, and fresh (peas, zucchini, cuke, lettuce...)

Hope that helps.

peter
peter_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:38 PM   #14
AquaPipes
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Fluval Shrimp Startum is all over the board when it comes to buffering capability. The stuff I purchased buffered to 7.2~7.4ph. Too high for CRS, but fine for cherries. I've seen others report buffering to 6.5 with it. Just depends on the batch you get I guess.

For CRS and Taiwan Bee's, use AquaSoil. It buffers a long time, and is consistent. But if cherry shrimp, Fluval is fine.
AquaPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #15
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

FSS is inconsistent with buffering capacity and lifespan.
ADA Amazonia, you know what you are getting, buffering consistency and a longer lifespan.
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada vs shrimp stratum, best crs shrimp substrate