Time to catch up with my tank! What does pearling mean?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 10-05-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello everyone! I've been so busy I haven't been able to post as much! Anyway, at least my tank has been making some HUGE progress.

All of the summer it was basically covered in a green cloud (green water) and it was impossible to get it away. So, I got a UV sterilizer and the results were amazing!

The obvious cause was lack of plants, I have a few Aponogetons, some E. tennelus (once was a nice foreground, now recovering from the summer), and some dieing hygrophila. If I didn't fertilize, the plants die, but if I did fertilize, the green water had too much of a hold and took all the nutrients anyway. So, after I eliminated the green water, no more mistakes!

I ordered some plants from Aquarium Garden. It worked out very conveniently that they had XL Amazon Sword plants for 6.99! That is a plant I had been wanting to get a good quality specimin of. I ordered one XL, and one regular, along with some saggitaria (for a grassy middle-ground), some jungle val, and some green-foxtail. I also ordered a long-wanted A. Ulvaceous. These plants would ensure I don't have another run-in with the green cloud. It helped even more that they gave me another XL amazon in substitution for my regular one!

Anyway, I'm going to a natural look (hence the grassy val and saggitaria). I also picked up some compacta swords from my LFS to place in front of the val and behind the E. tenellus.

I'm really hoping everything will work out this time, after all, I didn't get all those fertilizers from Rex for nothing!

My only concern is the swords. I have very hard water (KH~18 ). Amazon swords have never really been able to grow in my tank, but they've never really had a fair chance either (no CO2, etc...). I remember reading something about the Carbonate Hardness doesn't matter if everything else is good with E. bleheri. Anyway, yesterday I witnessed pearling in my tank for the first time in a long time, and know that it means the plants are doing photosynthesis and producing oxygen, but does it mean the plant will grow? That is my main conern (as is most people's), will the swords grow? If they are pearling, should I worry about them growing or not?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for any help!

-Tim
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

SNpiccolo,

Welcome back hadnt seen you in a bit. Pearling is the production of Oxygen via photosynthesis and occurs when your H2O has been saturated with O2. Streaming is a bit different where there may be some minor plant damage allowing for the bubbles to stream off. As for plant growth....I am not 100% sure but if your plants are photosynthesizing that is a GOOD thing! Ill do some readings in one of my books but I seem to remember it saying that if you want to grow soft water plants in hard water it is easier than the other way around AND supplementation of CO2 really aids in this. Will check!

Regards,

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Pearling plants is IMO the best indicator of plant health and therefore growth. A pearling plant is a growing plant.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 04:39 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Most plants can adapt to hard water. If you have sufficient light, add CO2, ferts and maybe a root tap here and there your swords will grow to monsters soon.
I am a big fan of swords. Sometimes you need to be a little patient... it took my red rubin and tropica swords several months before they really took off, another one ("ruffled") grew nicely, then started growing mis-shaped leaves and I thought it would croak, and now it just started growing beautifully again. There are no instant results!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's very good to know! Now I just have to find out what to put in front of the swords when (if) they get really big... I'm not worrying right now though, it is nice enough to see the fish enjoying actually having some plants in the tank! Thanks for the help!

-Tim