Mike's New 100 Gallon Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-21-2003, 07:05 AM   #1
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Hi Everyone!

Ok got my tank up and running and wanted to share my progress with everyone. So far running 100 gallon tank with Filstar XP3. Substrate is 1.5" of Flourite and 1.5" of Fine Gravel. Looks pretty deep when I look at other setups but we shall see. Will post some pics here once I figure out how to do that!

Going to try the Silent Cycle with this one and see how it works!

PS rinsing gravel and flourite absolutely stinks!

Regards!

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2003, 07:44 AM   #2
2la
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Photo?
2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:00 PM   #3
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

2la,

I will post some pics once I figure out how to do so...LOL.....so far pretty darn boring.LOL

Mike

Old 07-21-2003, 04:11 PM   #4
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Most of the tanks you see in pics have the substrate sloped from front to rear, gives a better display. My tank for instance, has 2.5" in front to 5 " in the rear.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 05:30 PM   #5
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok trying to repost again.....

Old 07-21-2003, 08:01 PM   #6
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

You got it. You have a frameless tank which is why it looks more full, the frame doesn't hide it. Whats up with the foam under the tank, won't that compress and throw the tank out of level?

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:13 AM   #7
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Marcel,

The styrofoam is an absolute NECESSITY! Ill let you know why.

Once upon a time I made a 75 Gallon reef system. I had a stand for it and was pretty sure it was a good one...LFS purchase. Unbeknownst to me I did discover a tiny little problem. Setup went well, Saltwater is heavy, Live rock is heavy, tank running fine......late at night "CRAAAACCCKKKLLLEEE>...CRACKLLLLLLLEEEEELLLLLLC rackLLLER"
Well there was a piece of sand that I did not clean off the top and with all the weight some how it went kapoof.

Second story,

Had another tank same situation...75 gallon....turned out the surface of the stand was not quite level...had a bit of a curve to it although didnt see this right off....caused tank to fracture...RATS.

So by placing the layer of styrofoam on the stand this will cause the little imperfections to be "absorbed" by the styrofoam. Also reduces heat loss through the bottom a bit as well.

I know its not the most "pretty" thing but I will eventually manufacture another mahogany piece that will go around to hide the foam.

I highly recommend putting down a "soft" layer. It does not cause the tank to go out of level if the stand is level in the first place.

Hope that helps!

Old 07-22-2003, 02:48 AM   #8
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

21 July 2003 update!!!!

Tank: Home built 20"x20"x60"

Stand: Mahogany Home built

Substrate: 75 lbs of flourite and 150 lbs of Fine Gravel layered at 1.5" for Flourite and 1.5 inches for Gravel.

Filtration: Filstar XP3

Lighting: ON ORDER Using my Icecap 660 and will run GE Aqua Rays 40 watt 48" x 4. Should get 3.2 WPG see article-----> www.icecapinc.com/rev1.htm

CO2 system: ON ORDER from www.aquatic-store.com Combo 4...contains pH meter/doser, reactor, guages etc

Plants: Algae Buster 20ct from aquabotanic.com

Ok so...the plan is coming together!!!! I have the tank running now with the filter can get out some of the dust out from the substrate. By the way...rinsing substrate especially Flourite is a pain in the neck. I could by no means get all the dust out but got the majority of it. I am running the Filstar XP3 with the enclosed carbon media in it to help clear the water. SO far it is clearing up pretty nicely...wasnt bad before but getting much clearer. I also put some dechlorinator in there to ensure that there would be no chlorine and chloramine in the H2O.

So far thats it!!!!

Thanks to all the help and especially to Marcel who cleared up 1000?'s with one 5 min conversation!!!!

Old 07-22-2003, 12:04 PM   #9
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

I'm glad I could be of service. I just never saw anyone do that with foam before. My 75 gets supported around the edges by the frame. It all makes sense to me now. You are gonna have one nice setup right from the start. You're learning quick,which is awesome, then you'll have all those fertilizer questions>>>> Cross that bridge when you get there.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 07-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #10
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Marcel!

Still running the bare bones water only now. Still cant get that last bit o dust out of the tank. Is there something I can put in the Filstar to get rid of it? I am running the activated charcol pac that came with it. That I will remove when I start adding plants etc.

This morning before flying is the quest for a CO2 tank!

Regards

Old 07-22-2003, 04:13 PM   #11
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Don't worry too much about the dust for now, you'll be kicking more up when you plant. Just let it run.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 07-22-2003, 06:18 PM   #12
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok still running....questions....picked up a cool Co2 tank on the cheap at of all places a harbor supply store here in Abq. They were not sure of the capacity though. it is hydrostaticed in 7/02. Unsure on its capacity..just curious cuz the welders will all fill it...one said he'd do it for free the first time when I called....had a 20 min coversation with the guy very nice...

Tank portion is 15" tall and about 5" in diameter...aluminum. i know its not a 20 lb......much less ...thinking about a 5lb...will fill it this weekend.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:09 PM   #13
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

It's just important that it has the right threads to screw a CO2 regulator on to. If it doesn't, the CO2 store will probably not want to fill it for you.
digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 09:37 PM   #14
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Just a side note here.. might be way off base though. Anyone think he might run into some problems with that window right there? Might have to keep the blinds closed.. looks like some mean sunlight hitting the tank. Just a thought.

Mike, tank looks like it is gonna be quite nice. Looks like your doing everything right from the get go (not like me.. ooh.. undergravel filters aren't good? I'll take mine out when my tank is full of plants and fish.. no probs). Can't wait to see it with plants, wood and maybe some fish. hehe.
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:01 PM   #15
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Good observation Vin...

It can cause algae problems on that side of the tank and them blinds will help but I got bit with the "blinds" theory once. It all depends on the direction and duration of the sunlight.
I have a tank that sees only about 1 hour or so of sunlight and that is the only side that I get very fine algae, and that window is 10 feet away.

Its easy enough a problem to solve, just need to diffuse the light is all.