Turtle ID / recommendations
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 05-19-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Turtle ID / recommendations

So I am in the process of renovating our swimming pool, which has been a bullfrog haven for the past 2 years. All of the fish and frogs have been relocated to a friends pond, but we found this little guy as well.

My daughter wants to keep it. I know keeping wild caught turtles is frowned upon, but he was caught in my pool in a suburban neighborhood, not from a pond or river somewhere, so I plan to keep him.

I think it's a yellow-bellied slider, can anyone confirm this? I have him in my 55 gallon planted tank currently, where he is devouring snails and uprooting plants. He has an area to get out to bask, but I know this is a temporary solution and plan to build a large, enclosed outdoor pond for him.

I know there are probably better forums to ask for a turtle ID, but I have seen several turtle keepers on here and I really like the atmosphere here.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It has 12 scutes on it's plastron, which is not hinged. There is a small ridge in the center of it's back.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

It's a yellow bellied slider and a very cute one at that !

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, I thought so! I am hoping he can stay in the 55 for a few months at least... there are some cory cats in there as well, so I hope it doesnt take any nips at them... Its way to small to eat them right now, but the way it demolishes the snails I fear it may try to nip at them.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
stevenjohn21
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

A 55 should be fine for him/her for up to 2 years . I have one now in a 125 gallon with some convicts and whilst they are breeding the Turtle knows to keep away lol

“Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans win.” -Gary Linekar

"Some people are on the pitch! They think it's all over! It is now, it's four!" -Kenneth Wolstenholme
stevenjohn21 is offline   Reply With Quote