My Hens and Chicks Plants - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 AM   #46
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Love your thread. Congrats on your blooming plant. I can see they are slowly growing. You should change your user name to chick&hen.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #47
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajacobs View Post
Love your thread. Congrats on your blooming plant. I can see they are slowly growing. You should change your user name to chick&hen.
ehehe Im far from an "expert". Thanks As long as people post Ill be encouraged to post updates and stuff. In about a week or two they will go in a big planter and outside, hopefully they will rebound and look much better.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #48
verongome
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to verongome Send a message via Skype™ to verongome

I liked the photography of the plants. You clicked some really nice pics!

Last edited by verongome; 07-05-2013 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: .
verongome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #49
caliherp
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Here are a few pictures of some of my blooms that opened up today. Sorry for the crappy cell pictures. I was only able to get pictures of a few of them before my phone died. Ill get the rest later.

caliherp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 PM   #50
caliherp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
one of my succulents flowered

If given the proper amount of sun this plant turns a redish orange.

Although not true succulents xeric type Bromeliads are becoming some of my favorite plants.

I just thought you guys might enjoy those.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:59 AM   #51
caliherp
Algae Grower

A couple more for today.

Please excuse the bird damage.

Heres a picture I took a month ago of one of my semps.
Old 06-02-2013, 01:54 AM   #52
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by verongome View Post
I liked the photography of the plants. You clicked some really nice pics!

Thanks.

Really nice pics.

Many more updates to come from my semi-big DIY project. Ill try my best to get pics tomorrow and post them. Big tank journal update tomorrow as well I hope I can get it all done for tomorrow.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

Old 06-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #53
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Its so cool that I'm not the only gardener here that loves cacti and succulents. Can someone explain to me what hen and chick plants are? I hear that alot
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2013, 11:54 PM   #54
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunknDestroy View Post
Its so cool that I'm not the only gardener here that loves cacti and succulents. Can someone explain to me what hen and chick plants are? I hear that alot

Sempervivum. They are perfect for our NA climate. They can tolerate upto -40 c. While in Toronto we only go to a max of -25 during our coldest nights. I can leave these guys outside year round.

--------------------------------------
Ok big blog post. I just finished a huge post over at my aquarium journal thread, please check it out and comment, link in my sig.

So when I was in US, I bought Lava rock and pea gravel. Big bags. I also bought a bag of cacti and suc soil. Since all succulent soil on the market suck, it was up to me to make a good mix. Ive used the cacti and succulent soil before and it becomes a piece of foam thats rock hard. Its terrible. I know because I transferred my plants here and there today.

Ok so the lava rock was too big. I wanted to make it the size of pea gravel but it was just too much work. The reason you need all material of the same size is because water tends to make a layer over the odd sized stuff. So water would drain around the gravel but pond up over the big lava rock. Atleast thats what I think I read elsewhere. So I spent about 2 hours or so hammering lava rock. Made a mess of the balcony. I coundnt hammer hard enough or else my neighbours would knock at my door.

The plastic container is huge but even then I couldnt condense my other hens and chicks. I wanted to reduce the pot/container use but couldnt. I also made the same soil mix for my Sago Palm. I love that plant. Bought it for $1.50 because it was "damaged". The leaves are yellow as you can see. Im assuming it was over watered. Dont worry baby you're in the right hands now

So it begins

The mess

Final

I couldnt set the top layer becuase there are too man small succulents everywhere. So setting it would be hard. Not to mention I ran out of the soil bag. So maybe next week I might get more and top it up. I still have to move around a few soil pots.

Last edited by samee; 06-03-2013 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: blah
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #55
Noahma
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I LOVE succulents. I go from one end of the spectrum (planted tanks lol) to very dry plants. My big thing right now are Sedum mixes. My back yard is a pain in the rear to mow, so we ripped out the grass, and now are planting a Sedum mix in its place. They tend to grow very well in our climate (semi-arid) and do well over winter as well. My Sedum Angelina turned a very deep red over winter which looked really nice!
Noahma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 06:27 AM   #56
PunknDestroy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Default RE: My Hens and Chicks Plants

Same here. I'm part of a nature preservation group. I collect and propagate rare and endangered species of cacti and succulents. At one point I had around 100 endangered species until I received some stock with a nasty fungus. Killed off everything except one of my cacti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I LOVE succulents. I go from one end of the spectrum (planted tanks lol) to very dry plants. My big thing right now are Sedum mixes. My back yard is a pain in the rear to mow, so we ripped out the grass, and now are planting a Sedum mix in its place. They tend to grow very well in our climate (semi-arid) and do well over winter as well. My Sedum Angelina turned a very deep red over winter which looked really nice!
PunknDestroy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #57
jnaz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliherp View Post
If given the proper amount of sun this plant turns a redish orange.

Although not true succulents xeric type Bromeliads are becoming some of my favorite plants.

I just thought you guys might enjoy those.
What is the name of the last one?
jnaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #58
caliherp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
You should have a look at Sedum spurium c.v dragons blood. It is by far my favorite ground cover. It has a really deep blood red color to it.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #59
caliherp
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaz View Post
What is the name of the last one?
Dyckia Micheal Andreas. If you need a source shoot me a p.m. Here are a couple new ones I got the other day. They have some growing and some colorin up to do, but I figured I'd share them anyways.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #60
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Are you doing all your plant work on a balcony?
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.