Any hobbyists in the Charleston area?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > West Virginia

Old 12-04-2014, 12:24 AM   #1
travdawg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Any hobbyists in the Charleston area?

I hope to have a tank (again) up and running here in the next few weeks. My plan is to do a low/low-med light El Natural tank. I was looking for some folks who might have some clippings, or extra slow growers for sale.

I havent had a tank in several years... So am VERY out of the loop. Can any of you recommend a solid source for driftwood?

Thanks!
travdawg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
wdfr5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

I am in Charleston also. I get most supplies including driftwood at specialty pets in Nitro. Also a good place to get your plants, although most must be special ordered. Good luck with setting up your tank. And I would be happy to help with trimmings as I trim my tanks.
wdfr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2014, 04:42 AM   #3
travdawg
Algae Grower

Yeah, I used to get my fish from there, years ago. That was back when they were still jomars, and still super salt snobs. About the time i quit the hobby, they were finally comkng around to the majesty of the planted tank! Where are you in chas?
Old 01-07-2015, 03:08 AM   #4
carb850
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Just getting a tank setup myself after about 4 years without. I'm thinking about finding someplace online to order a starter pack.
carb850 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
travdawg
Algae Grower

Jeeze, heya Mike! You still in S Hills?
Old 01-10-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
carb850
Algae Grower

Hey Travis. Sure enough, in the same place. It has been awhile, eh?

Did you get a tank setup? I purchased a 46G Bowfront this summer that I have been staring at empty ever since. I have a pice of Manzanita branchwood on its way so I may go ahead and fill with water for the first time today. I hope the EcoComplete I picked up this summer still has some live Bacteria in it.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:54 AM   #7
travdawg
Algae Grower

I had a nice el nat tank set up several years back.. it too was a 46 bowfront. AFter I drained it, I gave it to my sister, so she could set up a regular (non planted) tank for my nieces. I am actually about to get that tank back... But the tank I am workin on is a plain ole 55. A guy at work wanted to get rid of it, and I have been havin an itch to set one up in our new house... so I have been collecting hardware for it. Trying to figure out Co2, and a hardscape... I am thinkin about trying to run up to Summersville one day (when it is warmer) to plunder the lake bed while it is drained, for interesting rocks. For my substrate, I bought some Black Diamond Sand from Tractor Supply. I think I am going to do a dirted tank, and cap it with that, and see what happens.

I think I am only going to keep two or three types of plants in this tank. Something to carpet, then a couple of vertical plants.. But I have been pretty wishy washy about the whole thing. Kinda on hold until I find some rocks I like.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:38 AM   #8
carb850
Algae Grower

Sounds great. I thought about some interesting rocks but ended up ordering that wood instead. What I didn't realize is how much driftwood came with the tank. Some nice pieces. I wish they were bigger but when all added together they do look impressive. I would have just used them had I realized. So I may have some driftwood for sale once I get int his Manzanita wood.

I'm still studying plants. I'm extremely busy these days so I do want to keep this tank low tech. I do not mind an occasional dose of ferts but I do not want to deal with pressurized CO2 or the pruning of a high growth tank. Right now I just have a strip light but I hope to upgrade to a Current Satellite LED fixture in the very near future. Not only will it give me more PAR, but use less power and has a built in moonlight function which I enjoy.

I'm still needing to research plants. I do want some grass in the front, and middle growth for the center and tall plants for the rear. Common plants are fine by me, rare or unusual isn't a concern of mine at this point.

Once I get the plants started, I want to introduce a small colony of shrimp then eventually some small schooling fish. Again nothing exotic needed.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:30 PM   #9
travdawg
Algae Grower

I would like to have a couple types of fish, and some shrimp. I would love to have some pygmy corys, but not sure how they do with shrimp. I have not really researched it. Even with some dosing and co2, I hope to have medium growth. Preferably I only want to have to trim twice a month, and do waterchanges the same. I will do less if I can get away with it. I will have to post some more questions about the plants that fit my needs as I get more hardware.

Did I sell you my old needle valve? I thought I had one, but I cant find it. I figure I sold it to you or Jeff.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.