Tank support
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 10-03-2003, 02:46 PM   #1
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Still have some shoring up to do on this cabinet that holds the 59 gallon tank. The tank was built for this old hi-fi cabinet, very pretty, and I know that the thing has held togther under this tank for over 10 years, but I am nervous as all get-out about cabinet failure (in the den next to the stereo and big TV).

I've gotten some help to shore up the back, and now realize I want to shore up the front, too, even though that will further restrict access through the doors. I also need to level it some, as it tips forward about 1/4 inch. Guess I'll take my time, shore up the front, then refill and test the level again before I try to tip the whole thing back a quarter inch.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking about cushioning for the tank botom. With my 29 gallon tank, I used a sheet of styrofoam, wrapped in black tape, and it sure is ugly.

I think I read somewhere about using insulation foam around the rim of a tank -- seems that would be useful for the iron stands, but would it help a 45 inch long tank sitting on a flat wooden top?

Are there any other things I ought to consider using as a cushion?
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2003, 03:18 PM   #2
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

I personally use Styrofoam about 3/4" thick. You can also use the insulation sheets from the home depot. IMO its a necessity....had tanks bust because of not having it.

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
digger
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to digger

Did your tank have the plastic supports arround the edges, guttboy, like an all glass tank, or did it put the weight on the glass?
digger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

All my tanks (I am up to 3 now...) rest on flat wooden surfaces, although that is supposedly not necessary. Anyway, for my big tank I used one of those insulation mats that you roll up and take to go camping. In the empty space below the glass bottom I fit a piece of carpet insulation, more for temperature insulation than weight distribution.
My smaller tanks rest on carpet insulation, which looks ugly pink unless you cover it up with something.
I think even if your tank rests on a flat surface something to distribute weight evenly, even if it is only along the rim, would be useful.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2003, 04:27 PM   #5
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My 100 gallon is a pure 100% glass that I had made in Okinawa Japan when I was stationed there. Let me direct you to a pic....

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/vie...12&start=0

You can see how that one is set up.

Hope that helps!

Mike

Old 10-03-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Hmm, scraps of carpet insulation.

But, won't that hold any water I might spill? window insulation strips would also.

Black foam board, maybe a craft shop? blue foam board from house insulation sheets. How to cover the edges? Walnut cabinet, fake wood trim on tank, maybe fake wood trim contact paper?
Old 10-03-2003, 09:01 PM   #7
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

I found a lot of material in HD. To cover the edges, I bought wooden profiles that look like a 90 degree angle, not sure what they are called. To hide the ugly bottom tank braces, insulation and part of the substrate I bought some thin fake wood trim. Both this and the angled wood were stained and varnished, and look just like the stand.
I still need to hide the screws, I heard there is a special drill that drills a little round knob out of a piece of wood like the stand, and you can just stick it on top of the screw hole and make it invisible that way.
Not sure if water spills could be a problem with the insulation... I usually spill water on the carpet, not the stand :roll: The camping insulation mat will prevent water from entering. The carpet insulation won't.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #8
Mori
Wannabe Guru

i have a tank on a board on a stereo cabinet. you can put all kinds of stuff between the board and the cabinet if you cover it up.

to cover up the board and the bottom trim of the tank, i got some large moulding, stained to match, and attached it to the board. using a board lets me nail the moulding directly to something besides the cabinet (the real reason for the board is that the tank is a couple inches too big for the cabinet). depending on the size of the moulding, you could get it to conceal all sorts of foam and carpet and cushioning. A little spar varnish and it's ready. you could even caulk it in place with something clear.

(I wanted to hide not just the board--i don't have any cushioning--but the nasty plastic trim on my tank. some tanks are much less attractively trimmed than others...)
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2003, 04:32 PM   #9
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Anona...I have never used just strips. However, I would recommend a solid piece of whatever you are doing for even weight distribution. I had a loose grain of sand kill one of my marine tanks a few years back.

Mike

Old 10-04-2003, 10:51 PM   #10
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Thanks to all, while out checking a neighborhood garage sale, I walked right past an ugly hot pink exercise mat, rolled up. My darling spouse pointed it out to me and when I went back to unroll it, I found the back side was deep grey and the material was a dense spongy foam. It is long enough and should trim up well. One dollar -- sold!

Thanks to all who gave suggestions, fortunately I had mentioned them all in conversation yesterday so my darling knew what to help me look for, even though I missed that mat.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:59 PM   #11
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Way To Go Anona!

My wife is always on the lookout for things for the tanks...Lord knows how she puts up with me~!

Take Care.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.