Need help w/LED -have parts
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
kroner19
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Need help w/LED -have parts

Hey all,

I'm not really familiar with LEDs so bear with me. I'm looking to build a fixture, possibly two, for an ADA 60-P. I have a bunch of LED gear but have no idea if its useful. It was given to me. Here's what I have:

2 Mean Well MDR-40-24 drivers
3 Tokistar model LDR8-80. These are big. Maybe 10"x4". Say output 1-5.0A max, output 2-5.0A max, total output 10.0A max
1 Tokistar LDR8-40. Single output 5.0A max
2-24" extruded alum heat sinks. Maybe 2" wide 2" thick with kind of a rounded top shape with fins
2-48" heat sinks. Same as above.

Can I use any of this? If so, what else do I need?
kroner19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

http://tokistar.com/pdf/LDR8-80MANUAL.pdf This is a low output voltage LED driver, only 8 volts output.

http://www.trcelectronics.com/Meanwe...l&kw=mdr-40-24 This is a constant output voltage power supply, not a LED driver.

I don't think I would try to use either of those. I would look for a LED driver, constant current, not constant voltage, that matches the LED circuit or circuits I wanted to use.

The heatsinks could probably be used.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 AM   #3
kroner19
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Damn, that sucks. I thought I might've cut the costs of building an LED setup in half. All well, thanks for the response.
kroner19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

If you are really pressed for money, you could use parallel LED circuits, 2 LEDs in series, then 5-6 parallel 2 LED circuits, so the 5 amp current output of that driver could be used, and the low output voltage would be enough to drive two LEDs in series adequately. That would let each half of the 80 watt driver drive 10-12 LEDs, or a maximum of 24 total LEDs. Since I have never heard of that driver being used I don't know how well it would work, but just from the specifications it would work. And, that is certainly enough light for that tank.