NYC Tap Water Question/CRS
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 AM   #1
gnauhandy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

NYC Tap Water Question/CRS

Newbie here, I wanted to ask, if it's ok just to prepare tap water with dechlorinators for CRS - tank WC's. I don't have access to RO water nor the budget and am trying to see if I can start a CRS tank. I've read from several articles that said tap water just needed dechlorinators. I'm not sure but NYC tap water shows about 1.3 mg/L and on another site they it's explained that an experiment showed anything more than 100 ug/L is lethal to shrimp. Anyone with experience can give insight? I don't want to start something that I can't afford/handle. Also is there a better alternative to the low budget API tests for pH, N-cycle, GH, KH? Thanks'
gnauhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 AM   #2
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Invest in a TDS meter, the API Master Test Kit, and a GH/KH test kit. NYC tap also uses chlorine so use an appropriate dechlorinator. You can read the NYC water report for more info. Anyways, straight out of the tap, I get pH -7.2, dGH - 2, dKH - 2, TDS - 50-60ppm. It varies in the 5 boroughs though, depending on your location but the water is usually soft in most places.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Zenzu
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

My advice is if you can't afford to do it correctly and invest some cash into the project then don't waste your time and money. Get cheaper easy to care for shrimp like rcs save some cash and in the future set up an appropriate tank after you have all the necessary supplies and resources to do so.
Zenzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
gnauhandy
Algae Grower

Default NYC Tap Water Question/CRS

Thanks! Any copper treatments needed for the tap? I just wanted to know if people had success with crs without using RO water.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #5
gnauhandy
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzu View Post
My advice is if you can't afford to do it correctly and invest some cash into the project then don't waste your time and money. Get cheaper easy to care for shrimp like rcs save some cash and in the future set up an appropriate tank after you have all the necessary supplies and resources to do so.
I already have rcs. I want to see if I can move up.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

The tap in NYC is soft enough that you'll likely need a remineralizer anyway. CRS should be fine in it (just like the tap where I live, which comes out btwn 22-41 TDS). But having the basic tests and a cheap TDS meter will make it easier to get the water just right.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnauhandy View Post
Thanks! Any copper treatments needed for the tap? I just wanted to know if people had success with crs without using RO water.
Not that I know of.

You should ask on the NY subforum. Some people keep CRS without having to use RO.
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Option
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

NYC tap water is perfect, believe it or not. I've never used RO with this city's water. The pH out of the tap is about 6.8 which is perfect for shrimps. I only thing I ever use is some dechlorinator and I'm wondering if that is even necessary since I test the tap water and it had zero chlorine (live in lower manhattan, not sure if that makes a difference). My shrimps (both RCS & CRS/CBS) are both breeding w/o any problems.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
gnauhandy
Algae Grower

Thank you so much for the insight, always great to have more experienced members share information.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 AM   #10
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
NYC tap water is perfect, believe it or not. I've never used RO with this city's water. The pH out of the tap is about 6.8 which is perfect for shrimps. I only thing I ever use is some dechlorinator and I'm wondering if that is even necessary since I test the tap water and it had zero chlorine (live in lower manhattan, not sure if that makes a difference). My shrimps (both RCS & CRS/CBS) are both breeding w/o any problems.
+1 the same except the part about living in lower manhattan

Tags
copper, crs, shrimp, water changes