Jade_dragon71's 135 gallon** Disaster on 4/10/2013 ** - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 04-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #46
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama_drummer_73
Yeah, some times it does the ole suck/fill cycle thing.... I slowed the flow down to the tank, and as a result, I had to retweak the durso. You can tell when the durso flow has matched the return flow, the suck/fill cycle stops. Its irritating though when that cycle starts. Any tips on tuning a durso?
Tim, the only thing I can think of right off is to put some sort of a valve in the little airhole that would be easy to adjust. Perhaps like one of these that you could just twist a bit to tweak. If I'm understanding this right that is. It's up to you to figure out how to get it in there .

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2006, 11:12 PM   #47
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to tama_drummer_73 Send a message via Yahoo to tama_drummer_73

Actually, I have valves in place... these to be exact... http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...ve-101713.aspx

It makes fine tuning them pretty easy. I've got them set pretty decent right now. No cycling to speak of, and they seem to prime pretty easily. Wish the pump was as easy to prime LOL!!

Tim

www.tswn.com | aquaria.tswn.com | www.bf2online.com

Current webmasters for all......
tama_drummer_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #48
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

PTrader: (55/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew
Well the tank is looking GOOD!! Canopy and stand turned out good too! One question I have thogh is did you have to do away with the painted PVC overflows? I see there are black Plexi with Overflow Teeth cut out around the glass boxes I guess??

The reason I am asking is I have always gone with Sced 80 PVC to get the grey coloring. I am unsure of the Fusion paint being safe for the fish?? I have used Marine paints in Aquariums before, and they are listed safe for Human and Aqualife. As for the Fusion paint I couldn't find anywhere on the cam that said it is safe or potable for drinking water. Did you call or find out from the maker ( I think Dupont) that it is safe!! It will be SUPER if it is, as it will solve a problem with hideing equipment against a black background!!

Well enough about that, keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!
Drew

Drew, it's all still there, he mainly painted them so that the returns would be black. We had planned on the overflow covers from the start. We wanted to make everything we could less obvious.

Thanks for the compliments! Tim has done an outstanding job on everything so far- the staining, varnishing, making corner pieces, all the electrical work, lighting install, CO2, etc, etc, etc! (I'm sure I'm missing something) Now, the fish and plants are my realm, but if I don't watch it, he's gonna bypass me and make me look bad!! (J/K!) All kidding aside, he's a fast study, and having this hobby to share with him has made it twice as fulfilling as the previous 10 years without him.
jade_dragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 12:20 AM   #49
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

Well, according the KH/ph chart, we are at about 30 ppm CO2 now, but since we have 5ppm phosphates in the tank, I don't know how accurate that is. There's just minimal pearling going on today, quite a contrast from the crazy pearling we had yesterday upon setting the CO2 stuff up. I read somewhere there's a method where you let a tank water sample degas overnight and test the ph. Then drop it a full point from there. Sounds "scary"!! But we are going to try it since the "30 ppm" we have now just seems unbelievable.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:24 PM   #50
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

Okay, didn't post any pictures during the good ol diatom phase...too ugly! Had and still have a touch of green algae on the glass surface, but the stuff on the gravel went away while Tim and I were out of town last weekend.

Got a new mess of plants, and took out all the hornwort and most of the hygro polysperma. (There's still plenty! It just exploded) Also removed my poor pathetic blyxa that was shrinking by the day, the baby Amazon sword, the red lotus, the cabomba, and the corkscrew vals. The cs vals just haven't looked happy since they were put in high light and pressurized CO2, so back to one of the low tech tanks.

I got a mess of awesome plants off of Swap and Shop from Paula (Turbosaurus), and a few freebie rocks from my sis while we were at her place last weekend. I did a nice vigorous vacuuming of the sand before I replanted while I was at it. I failed to find any more driftwood that I liked, so I'm still searching for the "right" one. I also want to add a terraced area or two, but ran out of time, so probably next time. The three new rocks are light grey, so they just jump right out at you, which I don't really love, but I'm going to attach different mosses and pelia to them and the small driftwood I do have. I didn't realize that I put my favorite rock (the tri-colored one) smack dab in the middle til I saw the pics I just took, so that will need to be moved, also.

I apologize in advance for my lack of picture-taking skills!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	135_left.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	2729  

Name:	135_center.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	2730  

Name:	135_right.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	2731  

Old 04-16-2006, 04:49 AM   #51
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

I couldn't hack how the light-colored rocks just jumped out at you, so tonight I tied down some mosses to slate and my little piece of driftwood. The fishing line looks really crappy- I hope these all fill in quickly. I also repositioned the rock that was sitting dead center. I think the dark color of the slate is an improvement in itself, but I really love how mosses look in a tank, so with time it should be even better.

As usual, I took crappy pics (Tim was busy making some crab dip), but tonight I actually had a good excuse! I broke my glasses clean in half and can't get them repaired until Monday. So I mananged to find a older pair of contacts, but one of them was ripped, so I'm trying to go off one!! Arggggghhhhh!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	135_riccia.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	2745  

Name:	135_driftwood.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	2746  

Name:	135_java.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	2747  

Name:	135_pelia.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	2748  

Name:	135_fullview.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	2749  

Old 04-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #52
turbosaurus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)

Hi Jade, It looks really good. May I add my two cents? well here it comes anyway.

Just one thing, I think that cardymine will eventually have to be moved, it will generally grow towards the top on a diagonal, not straight up, and then spread out horizontally as it gets closer and closer to the surface, it generally does better in the back or in a corner.

but that is okay, beacuse I would also take a minute to move the rotala indica further front, and trim it low (5-6") and replant the trimming to make a nice dense hedge about 5-6" high. I like the smaller leaved plants in small dense mounds like that, I don't like them when they get tall and stringy. I like to leave BIG to those plants that can pull it off in a more impressive manner- liek the hygro balsamica or the l.sessiliflora.

The ammania looks great and that l. aromatica should start to send out side shoots all over the place now that it has a little room to grow. I can't wait to see it as it matures.
turbosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:28 PM   #53
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosaurus
Hi Jade, It looks really good. May I add my two cents? well here it comes anyway.

Just one thing, I think that cardymine will eventually have to be moved, it will generally grow towards the top on a diagonal, not straight up, and then spread out horizontally as it gets closer and closer to the surface, it generally does better in the back or in a corner.

but that is okay, beacuse I would also take a minute to move the rotala indica further front, and trim it low (5-6") and replant the trimming to make a nice dense hedge about 5-6" high. I like the smaller leaved plants in small dense mounds like that, I don't like them when they get tall and stringy. I like to leave BIG to those plants that can pull it off in a more impressive manner- liek the hygro balsamica or the l.sessiliflora.

The ammania looks great and that l. aromatica should start to send out side shoots all over the place now that it has a little room to grow. I can't wait to see it as it matures.

Paula, thanks for the compliment, and thanks even more for your advice!! I don't mind that a bit, I'm a little lost when it comes to the whole aquascaping thing.

I'm not happy with the whole left corner cardimine/rotala/l.aromatica thing myself, just didn't know what I could do with it. I would'nt have ever thought of trimming the indica down to a hedge, but I'm sure gonna try it. I bet that would look great. So what do you suggest I do with the l.aromatica? I'm not sure it likes that high current area, so I want to move it the center more. But where to is a big question since I have kinda a red cluster with the ammania and myrio. I'm afraid all that color in one area would be too much there and not enough spread around. (Although the gorgeous lavender hues would be great with that peach-tipped rotala....Hmmmmm!)

I also thought I might place the cardimine close to the driftwood, but I don't want to obscure my awesome weeping moss as it fills in!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:15 PM   #54
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

Okay, hopefully third time will be a charm for me. Here's a link to what I did today, complete with my ramblings. I really need to borrow the In-Laws' camera again....it takes much better pics.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...40#forumpost40
Old 04-30-2006, 02:48 AM   #55
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

NOPE....third time wasn't a charm!! I'm just now going through algae bad enough to piss me off to do a H202 dip on some plants. I know, I know, just a bandaid, but I'm addressing some other issues to try to correct it. (C02 and ferts, to be exact.)

So, I figured since I had to pull plants out to do the deed, I might as well just change what I didn't like while I was at it.

I didn't like the "concave" shape at all for my tank. In theory, having tall plants disguise the overflow boxes would've been great, but since the outflow is also located over in the corners, my tall plants just kept flapping in the breeze. Not cool! Plus, having them there seemed to interfere with flow to the rest of the tank. I think I like this new one better. I think.

I have too many different kinds of plants. Plain and simple! Hopefully THIS "scape" will last while I sort out my CO2 and fert issues. Then, I can decide on which stems are staying, and which will be doled out to other tanks.

I had my LFS order some driftwood. I don't like my little dinky one for this tank.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...41#forumpost41
Old 05-27-2006, 05:55 PM   #56
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

I guess I should update since it's been just almost a month since my last one. I've actually left things alone, and just let it grow in while waiting on the driftwood soaking in buckets. I plan on getting that in there this weekend, but the jungle needs cut back first. I'll take pics of that once we git'r done.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb..._id=33&forum=4
Old 06-17-2006, 12:32 AM   #57
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

Okay, this update is actually "old" since I took the pictures on May 30, but we had a server go down on us and technical difficulties getting my machine to where I could access my photos. (Oddly enough, Tim's end was working PDQ, lol.........) There's been some growth, to put it mildly, so I'll take some more shots this weekend hopefully.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb..._id=35&forum=4
Old 06-18-2006, 03:21 PM   #58
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to tama_drummer_73 Send a message via Yahoo to tama_drummer_73

The tank is definately taking off. We finally got the CO2 levels down to approx 6.7 on the PH monitor. The biggest thing that I can suggest is making the transition to lower ph #'s SLOWLY, as to make sure your fish adjust to the higher C02 levels easily. Also, one thing that we found out is that your C02 will work harder if you turn the C02 off with the lights. It has a harder time getting the C02 down to a consistent level if you cycle the C02 off with the lights. We have moon lights on ours so, I don't know if that has something to do with the ammount of CO2 that is being consumed at night or not. Thats why we let the PH monitor do its job. You won't use more CO2 if the PH monitor is doing its job. It will introduce C02 into the system until the right PH level is reached, and then shut the valve off. It works like a champ, and we have had CONSIDERABLE plant growth since we stopped shutting the C02 valve off with the lights.

This might not work for everyone, but it seems to work perfect for us.

Tim

www.tswn.com | aquaria.tswn.com | www.bf2online.com

Current webmasters for all......
tama_drummer_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:45 PM   #59
fresh_lynny
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade_dragon71
Okay, this update is actually "old" since I took the pictures on May 30, but we had a server go down on us and technical difficulties getting my machine to where I could access my photos. (Oddly enough, Tim's end was working PDQ, lol.........) There's been some growth, to put it mildly, so I'll take some more shots this weekend hopefully.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb..._id=35&forum=4
Now it is getting interesting!

Eheim Chickie #203 Filstar Pimpette # 56
not-so-newby anymore?
90 gal acrylic, Coralife Aquapro 150x2 Metal Halides, 55x2 50/50 PC, 3 lunars, Hydor inline, 9w TurboTwist UV, Pressurized CO2, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, Rex Grigg CO2 all-in-one, Milwaukee pH controller, 2 Eheim Pro II 2026's, Filstar XP3 backup, lilies, Eco Complete, Greg Watson dry ferts, EI mod
http://www.paparazzi-weim.com
fresh_lynny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 03:29 AM   #60
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

Here's a couple of shots I took tonight after our weekly water change.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...47#forumpost47