Jade_dragon71's 135 gallon** Disaster on 4/10/2013 ** - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-17-2006, 12:41 PM   #31
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to tama_drummer_73 Send a message via Yahoo to tama_drummer_73

Jade_dragon71's 135 gallon** Disaster on 4/10/2013 **

Well the electrical is finished for the base. I am still debating on whether or not to add another box for the lights.

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...30#forumpost30

Tim

www.tswn.com | aquaria.tswn.com | www.bf2online.com

Current webmasters for all......

Last edited by tama_drummer_73; 03-17-2006 at 03:19 PM..
tama_drummer_73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 02:32 AM   #32
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to tama_drummer_73 Send a message via Yahoo to tama_drummer_73
Default Blue Line 30X.... ONE QUIET PUMP!!!!

I have to say, this pump is one quiet pump. Powerful, quiet, and cheaper than the Little Giant that I purchased originally. Can't beat that. Anyway, here is a pic of the pump in action. Glad to have water circulating again!

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...31#forumpost31

Tim

Old 03-26-2006, 02:49 AM   #33
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Default First round of pics with plants!!

Well after 2 months of construction, the tank is now up and running. It is very sparse right now, but it will fill in quickly as soon as the C02 is up and running. We still are waiting on the CO2 tank to get here and to get filled. We haven't added the fish yet. That will be done soon enough......

Here are the pics.....

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...32#forumpost32

Tim

Old 03-26-2006, 03:36 AM   #34
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

PTrader: (55/100%)

Finally planted! No aquascape during the "break in" phase, just threw some fast-growers in there. Well, except for the red lotus and the Amazon Sword. The sword actually started out as two larger ones, but then one of my plecos decided to rasp them both beyond recognition.......I had to put them both together and it made one little pathetic baby plant.

Pretty sparse, and very dull for sure, but I'm very tickled about how the lights look at least!! We're supposed to receive our empty CO2 tank Tuesday, and no chance to go get it filled til next Saturday, but I couldn't wait to plant it any longer. The pool filter sand was very hard to find, and I'm very glad we managed to get some.
jade_dragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 02:53 AM   #35
jade_dragon71
Planted Member

PTrader: (55/100%)

Re-arranged a bit....didn't like how it looked. Even though this is the start-up phase and not how I'm wanting it to be for good, I still want to like the way it looks enough to be able to stand it. Forgive my poor photography skills...any suggestions on future scaping and plant choices would be welcomed! I do want to find at least one more piece of driftwood- preferably a large one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	full_view.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	2661  

Click image for larger version

Name:	center_view.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	2662  

jade_dragon71 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 05:44 AM   #36
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Wow, that looks great. I love the stain... Cherry? Red Oak? And its contrast with the off white sand. I could see a nice long and big/elegant piece of grapevine with lots of moss growing on it dead center. Great job of hiding the sump return overflows. I can barely tell they are there! Another thought on long range plants. I love both Crinum calemestratums and Crypt. balansae (green variety). Maybe in a corner where the long strap leaves of the balansae will flow with the currents. Marselia as a foreground plant.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 10:42 AM   #37
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Thanks!!

The stand is constructed out of red-oak. I used "Minwax Dark Walnut" stain on it. It was the closest color that I could find that matched our dining room table and chairs. I used the "Minwax Rub-on" varnish to add the protective gloss finish to it. Mel has worked real hard on planting this behemoth, and I know she isn't satisfied yet. Any suggestions are VERY much welcomed. I really dig the idea of the grapevine.

Where can you find grapevine that is prep'd for tank use? If you have it growing locally, what do you do to treat it so that it can be used in the tank?

The only problems we are having right now are ones dealing with evaporation. No lids on the sump yet. I suspect that having lids will curb the evaporation quite a bit. We really haven't had to many issues with the way that the "system" actually works. I am having a bit of trouble getting a durso, which is on the right side of the tank, to flow as fas as the one that is on the left. I read that its because of the long length of pipe that I am using. So needless to say, I am still playing with the airflow on it. Its not the fact that it doesn't flow, but I think that it just needs alot more tweaking.

I had to throttle back the output of the pump to get a flow that wouldn't "suck" the inhabitants into the overflows, because it will. All in all the tank has turned out just like what I had imagined. I had to change a few things while I was building the system, but for good reasons, not because the wouldn't fit, or whatnot. The only major change was the pump. Little giant makes NOISY pumps. The pumps are VERY powerful, but VERY LOUD. Blueline is the manufacturer that we ultimately went with, and for good reason. They make, in my oppinion, the best pumps out there. Powerful, and super quiet. Hell the water makes more noise than the pump does, and thats the way it should be.

Thanks for all of your comments, please keep them coming!

Tim

Old 03-29-2006, 01:54 PM   #38
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

How did I miss this thread? What a totally cool tank. You're obviously a craftsman, everything is so neat and professional. If/when I get my 125 I can do it half so well I'll be happy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama_drummer_73
". . . I used the "Minwax Rub-on" varnish to add the protective gloss finish to it. . ."
You can make your own rub on poly, just buy the regular stuff and cut it with mineral spirits. This is what I do. Waaaaay cheaper and better IMHO. I love doing a rub on finish, it's so easy compared with trying to get a smooth, even, drip-free coat using full-strength poly. Five or six coats of that followed up with wax (if it's something that's not going to be exposed to water) . . . .

You can usually find grapevine at a craft store such as Michael's, or sometimes at a chain pet-shop in the reptile section I believe. It won't be prepped as such, I imagine you'll have to boil it and/or soak it for a period of time to get it to sink.

55 gallon - Hi-Res — 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish
10 gallon — lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #39
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHawke
How did I miss this thread? What a totally cool tank. You're obviously a craftsman, everything is so neat and professional. If/when I get my 125 I can do it half so well I'll be happy .
Thank You! I guess the neat and tidy thing comes from my dad and my granddad. Plumb & level. When I build anything, I try to adhere to that set of rules. I am still routing wires etc... as we are not 100% done with the stand equipment. I am going to have to build some sort of lid for the sump so that the inflows can pass through the lid, and still have the ability to be taken out of the tank. I have some ideas, just need to see if they will work or not.

We will be in Wichita on April 7th, so a trip to Michaels will definately be in order.

Thanks for the comment!

Tim

Old 03-29-2006, 05:54 PM   #40
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Not sure where, but Fish stores can order Grapevine. It floats so has to be anchored which is easy. If a big enough piece, over time looks just like bogwood. I would shoot for something not to skinny/stick like, if it was me. I'm on the hunt for some for a new tank myself.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #41
BlueRam
Wannabe Guru

Big tanks loose quite a lot of water. Covers will help but you need to consider relative surface area.

The flow through the durso is directly proportional to the flow of water into the overflow chamber. Unless the durso is doing suck/fill cycles you are fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama_drummer_73
The only problems we are having right now are ones dealing with evaporation. No lids on the sump yet. I suspect that having lids will curb the evaporation quite a bit.

I am having a bit of trouble getting a durso, which is on the right side of the tank, to flow as fas as the one that is on the left. I read that its because of the long length of pipe that I am using. So needless to say, I am still playing with the airflow on it. Its not the fact that it doesn't flow, but I think that it just needs alot more tweaking.
Clown Barbs 75 gal T8 +sump
Goodeidae project 20Long PC
BlueRam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2006, 06:27 PM   #42
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Yeah, some times it does the ole suck/fill cycle thing.... I slowed the flow down to the tank, and as a result, I had to retweak the durso. You can tell when the durso flow has matched the return flow, the suck/fill cycle stops. Its irritating though when that cycle starts. Any tips on tuning a durso?

Tim

Old 04-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #43
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

Default More pics of the tank... Pressurized CO2 installed and running...

I took more pics of the tank this weekend. Still comtemplating on the diffusion method though. The post on our official tank site explains....

http://aquaria.tswn.com/modules/newb...35#forumpost35

Tim

Old 04-02-2006, 07:05 PM   #44
BoxxerBoyDrew
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

Well the tank is looking GOOD!! Canopy and stand turned out good too! One question I have thogh is did you have to do away with the painted PVC overflows? I see there are black Plexi with Overflow Teeth cut out around the glass boxes I guess??

The reason I am asking is I have always gone with Sced 80 PVC to get the grey coloring. I am unsure of the Fusion paint being safe for the fish?? I have used Marine paints in Aquariums before, and they are listed safe for Human and Aqualife. As for the Fusion paint I couldn't find anywhere on the cam that said it is safe or potable for drinking water. Did you call or find out from the maker ( I think Dupont) that it is safe!! It will be SUPER if it is, as it will solve a problem with hideing equipment against a black background!!

Well enough about that, keep up the great work and keep the pics coming!
Drew
BoxxerBoyDrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2006, 09:06 PM   #45
tama_drummer_73
Algae Grower

I checked and it seems that quite a few people have used the fusion paint before. Seems to be working just fine.

Tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.