Lighting for a 150 gallon 30" deep tank help?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 PM   #1
harrytownend
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lighting for a 150 gallon 30" deep tank help?

I have a 150 gallon (48x30x24") planted tank with these plants. Some are different but this is the collection I bought.

5 x Elodea Densa
1 x Aponogeton Crispus
5 Eleocharis Parvulus (dwarf hairgrass)
10 x mini Amazon Sword or Saagittaria Pusilus
5 x Bacopa Monnerii
5 x Twisted Vallisneria
10 x Sagittaria Natans
5 x Rotalla Indica

5 x Cabomba Caroliniana
5 x Cryptocoryne Wendtii
5 x Hygrophilia Polysperma
5 x Ludwigia Mullertii

5 x Vallisneria Spiralis
5 x Ludwigia Natans
10 x Mayaca Fluviatilas

5 x Rotala Macranda
5 x Hydrilla Verticillata
5 x Cryptocoryne Parva

5 x Hygrophilia Difformis
5 x Eleocharis Vivipara
5 x Salvinia Auriculata
5 x Cryptocoryne Ciliata
1 x Nymphea Stellata or Nymphea Maculata

I am currently running only 2 T8 bulbs! It's such a huge tank so it seems quite dark. There has been some growth on the plants and they look green but they aren't thriving. I have a dirt substrate on the tank but I'm not dosing ferts or CO2. I want to get a light fixture capable of growing medium to slightly more high light plants at 30" deep, Anything for 36" to 48" would fit on the tank and was wondering if you had any suggestions on what to get. If you could name the actual lights that would be great! The rotala macranda has turned green but is there a way to get it back to red? I want lights that could grow more light demanding plants at the bottom. My crypt parva is looking great but I want to try something more challenging. Would a 4 bulb T5HO unit be ok for this or would I need something more powerful? Sorry for all the questions! Please let me know.

Thanks a lot!
harrytownend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
AHP
Algae Grower

I am not going to lie you might have a hard time getting something that will give you the PAR you are looking for at the substrate lvl @ 30".

The first thing that pops out to me would be a buildmyled XB series and might have to have a narrow beam angle, something like 45degree. But then that would almost guarantee to will get algea on anything closer to the light.
AHP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2014, 09:57 PM   #3
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

We have the same tank, low tech w/excel dosing and PFS substrate, root tabs and ferts. Stared with 4 54W T5 10K & 4 64W PC 10K, was a bit too high light, so we took off the PC fixture. Everything is going great now. Has been up and going for over a year. Still have some Nitrate issues occasionally, but that's more due to its notable resident (12" Fahaka) rather then dosing. We WC 50% weekly to keep her Nitrates down and the plants love it. Here is a pic of it currently
Old 02-08-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
harrytownend
Algae Grower

I've found a 4 bulb T5HO fixture with reflectors. Would that be ok for the plants I have without having to dose ferts and CO2?
Old 02-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's what is on my tank above, 4 bulb T5 10,000K bulbs, on an 8 hour photoperiod. I do dose Excel and some liquid ferts in conjunction to root tabs. When we started the tank it had a few outbreaks until everything settled in and came into balance. It should be more then enough light for your tank.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
harrytownend
Algae Grower

Thanks a lot for your help! Should I start dosing ferts. I don't want to get too high-tech so could I get away with just excel?
Old 02-09-2014, 01:26 AM   #7
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

We usually do, that and some flourish occasionally. We use root tabs every 6 months under our heavy feeders and only recently got dry ferts to try. We never have any issue with low nitrates as we keep the Fahaka and her edible freinds in the tank and have to WC when they get above 40 due to her being scaleless and powty when its been too long. Only really think Iron is something we bought due to the swotds and erring on the side of caution. I know with a bit more tinkering it could work without them
Old 02-09-2014, 09:38 AM   #8
harrytownend
Algae Grower

I have about 1.5" of dirt under the sand so I don't need root tabs. I think I'll start with flourish and excel. How much do you dose and when?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
mnemenoi
Planted Tank Obsessed

We dose 30ml of Flourish after the weekly 75% water change and 45 ml of Excel daily (or every other day depending on if we forgot, lol). Our substrate is entirely Pool Filter Sand, so no nutrients there. The Fahaka dives into it constantly, thus the reason for not capping it or going with anything nicer. If you can get ahold of Metricide 14 it is basically the same thing as Excel, but twice as strong and far cheaper.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
harrytownend
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks a lot!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.