Cheapest rcs breeding set-up - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-28-2013, 12:13 AM   #31
Puddles
Shrimps are fun

PTrader: (20/100%)

Cheapest rcs breeding set-up

I mean... Maybe if you kept the ammonia down at only 1 ppm they might survive... But I don't think they'd like it
Puddles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #32
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I agree on using used media. It will surely speed up the cycle by a ton! If you were to put some used gravel from another tank into the new one, it would help too. I wouldn't put any livestock (excluding plants) in, until about 2-3 weeks. To make it safer for the livestock, I usually plant the heck out of the tank, then trim/sell them for money, for more shrimp! Floaters will definetly help, since they suck a lot of nitrates/ammonia out of the water, and shrimp like to hang on the bottom of the roots. I test if it's safe by adding a guppy to the tank, and if it survies 1-5 days, it's good to go. Even though it's "good to go", I just add some snails in to create a good trail of food for the shrimp.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:31 AM   #33
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddlesAqua View Post
I mean... Maybe if you kept the ammonia down at only 1 ppm they might survive... But I don't think they'd like it
I've had ramshorns in a tank while I was dosing pure ammonia and I didn't lose a single one. Had ammonia up to 5ppm for days. Took forever to cycle that tank though my main error was running Purigen on it at the same time...oops! I had a very fast cycle on a tank that I used JUST ONE ramshorn and a bit of food. Tossed some Tetra Safestart in and the tank was cycled in 5 days. I didn't add livestock for another 2 weeks but it was cycled in 5 days nonetheless.
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:38 AM   #34
shadowaquatics
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

LAST TWO QUESTIONS!

First, I would like to thank you all very much for your help and constant support today! Here are my final questions:
  • Can MTS survive while a tank is going through a fishless cycle? I know I can add plants first, and I have heard of how Ramshorn Snails do fine, and how hearty MTS are.
  • Will I only need a sponge filter for filtration? I can purchase one tomorrow if that is the case, as well as any other filtration things I will need.
Thanks!
shadowaquatics is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 AM   #35
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

For RCS? Red Cherry Shrimp? Yepper. A sponge filter will do just fine.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #36
shadowaquatics
Algae Grower

Yes, just for red cherry shrimp, low-medium light plants, and MTS snails. my last question: Can MTS survive a fishless cycle?
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #37
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default Cheapest rcs breeding set-up

I'd put two sponges in the tank on opposite sides, but that's my odd mind. It really depends on the size of the type you put in. If it is big, you only need one. But smaller ones you could use two, and overkill never is bad.

And yes MTS will survive. Lol trust me.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 01:23 AM   #38
shadowaquatics
Algae Grower

Thank-you for your help everybody!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #39
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaquatics View Post
Alright, everyone! I took the time to research some answers for my area and here is what I have found out:
  • My Petco sells empty ten gallon tanks for $14.00, and a ten gallon kit for around $70.00, which does not include a fluorescent light or heater, or thermometer.
  • I would like to have a 50W heater because it will increase breeding.
  • I have never used sand as a substrate before. Any advice?
  • Plants will be: frogbit, duckweed, and guppy grass; possibly java moss if I can make a moss carpet with sand substrate?
  • I am having a hard time finding livestock, including plants that are somewhat cheap on the buying/selling section, but I am still looking!
  • Will the tank need a cover? (Sorry if this is a silly question.)
  • I would just get a used setup if the whole thing costs $70 without light or heater
  • 50W heater is a good choice
  • When using sand, make sure you rinse it multiple times in a bucket before adding it to the tank itself or else you'll find out quickly that it clouds up the tank. You might need to do a few water changes to remove the sand particles that will cloud the water. After a while it'll settle at the bottom. MAKE sure you turn off your filters until the sand is settled.
  • If you can't find the cheap flora or fauna on the swap n shop, I'd try posting a WTB thread. Some people have the stuff you're looking for, but don't make for sale threads. Generally you'll have to pay shipping, but they may give you some of the stuff you're looking for.
  • I'd recommend a cover with RCS. They tend to jump out of the tank for some odd reason. If you have enough floaters, it shouldn't be much of a problem. Went over to a fellow hobbyist's house and he had dried out RCS all over the place. His tank was completely stable and they were breeding like roaches but jumping out of the tank.
I would also try contacting Homeless Aquatics for some shrimp, plecos, or snails. Tim is such a great person! He ships to the continental U.S. and he's got a lot of cool nano livestock as well as some larger stock. I would highly recommend purchasing from him. He's had RCS in the past, but I'm not sure if he has any for sale. I know he has Sakuras (line bred RCS) that he recently got. Again, not sure if that's for sale yet.

If you don't see what you're looking for on his current stock list, you can always leave him a reply about what you want. He has a lot of things that aren't on the list and may sell some. He also has a "wishlist" of items that people want to get in. Not 100% chance that he can, but he'll try.
mistahoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 01:42 AM   #40
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A member here is doing a RAOK (Random act of kindness) for 15+/- RCS! 5 winners and possibly more!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:16 AM   #41
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
A member here is doing a RAOK (Random act of kindness) for 15+/- RCS! 5 winners and possibly more!
+1 I saw it and I was like... "who needed RCS again?"
I finally remembered, but I guess I didn't make it before you. xD
That brings up to mind what I did to my RCS tank a couple of months ago. I kinda take back what I said about them. Well here is the story:
My 29G was previously a baby setup for my little map turtle, then I got a 55G for him. So being a turtle tank, it wasn't very "clean" to be exact. I also tried adding plants in, which never did well. Some MTS came in with a jungle val plant from my grow-out tank. During that time, I thought MTS weren't good for tanks. So I couldn't care less about them when I was blasting the tank/washing the dirty gravel. The snails went through getting blasted 5 times by a hose, being crushed by gravel moving around,left out in wet gravel for 30 minutes, and pretty much cold tap water. Then when I filled the tank back up, guess what I see? Snails doing their thing. I have to say, they are even more hardy than RCS.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #42
mistahoo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

MTS are extremely hardy. Moreso than ramshorn or any other snail I've ever kept. I must warn you, MTS is like the plague. Once you introduce one, they multiply extremely fast! I hate them with a passion.

I had them once... I had some substrate that was basically 90% MTS and 10% Seachem Onyx. They've obviously been thriving in there for decades. I cleaned the substrate. I had the substrate in a cooler and poured scalding hot water into the cooler then closed the lid. I let it sit for about 30 mins and then manually sifted the substrate with a strainer and tossing out the MTS. When it set up my tank and put the substrate in, surely enough, I found a bunch of MTS sliming up the sides of the tank. There were even baby ones that survived that. They were reproducing again at ridiculous rates, so I dumped the substrate and went barebottom.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:15 AM   #43
kingjombeejoe
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

My local petsmart has 10 gal setup with hood and filter for $28 dollars on sale I'm sure yours will probably have the same sale. I got a sponge for my aquaclear 20 for 2.99. I purchased black beauty blasting sand 100lbs for $14 dollars. If you change the bulbs to 2 daylight cfls walmart has a 2 pack for $4. Total would be under $50 and all you have to do is get the plants snails and shrimp here.
This tank cost me a total of $74 but i got an aquaclear20 2 clip lights with cfls and more sand then i will ever need.
kingjombeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 03:17 AM   #44
ScarletFire
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowaquatics View Post
LAST TWO QUESTIONS!

First, I would like to thank you all very much for your help and constant support today! Here are my final questions:
  • Can MTS survive while a tank is going through a fishless cycle? I know I can add plants first, and I have heard of how Ramshorn Snails do fine, and how hearty MTS are.
  • Will I only need a sponge filter for filtration? I can purchase one tomorrow if that is the case, as well as any other filtration things I will need.
Thanks!
- it's hardy, not hearty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahoo View Post
MTS are extremely hardy. Moreso than ramshorn or any other snail I've ever kept. I must warn you, MTS is like the plague. Once you introduce one, they multiply extremely fast! I hate them with a passion.

I had them once... I had some substrate that was basically 90% MTS and 10% Seachem Onyx. They've obviously been thriving in there for decades. I cleaned the substrate. I had the substrate in a cooler and poured scalding hot water into the cooler then closed the lid. I let it sit for about 30 mins and then manually sifted the substrate with a strainer and tossing out the MTS. When it set up my tank and put the substrate in, surely enough, I found a bunch of MTS sliming up the sides of the tank. There were even baby ones that survived that. They were reproducing again at ridiculous rates, so I dumped the substrate and went barebottom.
The reason why snail population booms is due to one reason: overfeeding. If you fed just enough for your fish or shrimp, you won't have a snail invasion. And snails are good, not bad. They're the cleanup crew for leftover food so it decreases the chance that microorganisms will grow (hydras, planaria). And they tell you about the condition of the tank, whether it's good or bad (changes in water parameteres).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
I'd put two sponges in the tank on opposite sides, but that's my odd mind. It really depends on the size of the type you put in. If it is big, you only need one. But smaller ones you could use two, and overkill never is bad.

And yes MTS will survive. Lol trust me.
I started with 1 sponge filter in my 10 gal RCS tank, then I got a HOB when it was on sale. I personally like having water disruption on both sides of the tank, and the mechanical filtration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinection View Post
I agree on using used media. It will surely speed up the cycle by a ton! If you were to put some used gravel from another tank into the new one, it would help too. I wouldn't put any livestock (excluding plants) in, until about 2-3 weeks. To make it safer for the livestock, I usually plant the heck out of the tank, then trim/sell them for money, for more shrimp! Floaters will definetly help, since they suck a lot of nitrates/ammonia out of the water, and shrimp like to hang on the bottom of the roots. I test if it's safe by adding a guppy to the tank, and if it survies 1-5 days, it's good to go. Even though it's "good to go", I just add some snails in to create a good trail of food for the shrimp.
If you use used gravel/sand, make sure to wash it in a vinegar solution. Reasons that the person may not want their sand or gravel could be: just changed to a different colour/type, druged tank with something, then livestock didn't do well, bacterial infection and things died, BBA and can't get rid of it, etc. Make sure to ask why they're getting it before buying it used.

And if you're getting a guppy, check for bacterial infections before putting it into your tank. Guppies are easily susceptible/carriers of a lot of bacterial diseases. I'm not completely sure about that, but I remember someone telling me about that before (Added 1 or 2 new guppies, and the guppies they originally have got infected)
ScarletFire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #45
Kinection
Planted Tank Enthusiast

[/QUOTE]If you use used gravel/sand, make sure to wash it in a vinegar solution. Reasons that the person may not want their sand or gravel could be: just changed to a different colour/type, druged tank with something, then livestock didn't do well, bacterial infection and things died, BBA and can't get rid of it, etc. Make sure to ask why they're getting it before buying it used.

And if you're getting a guppy, check for bacterial infections before putting it into your tank. Guppies are easily susceptible/carriers of a lot of bacterial diseases. I'm not completely sure about that, but I remember someone telling me about that before (Added 1 or 2 new guppies, and the guppies they originally have got infected)[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing.
And if you don't want gravel mixed with sand, you can always put the gravel in a cup, that might help bacteria populate, and you can easily remove it. My guppies are doing fine, thank you.

Tags
breeding, plants, rcs, shrimp, tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.