Columnaris treatment?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 408
Default

Columnaris treatment?


About a week and a half ago, I bought and added 5 Cardinal Tetras to the 4 I had to begin with. Since adding them, I've lost I think 3 of 7 CPDs and probably 4 Cardinals over the last week, with seemingly no symptoms.

Today, I noticed what looks like a little fluff of cotton on one of the Cardinals at the distal base of the dorsal fin. This reminded me of a sickness that I had when I first established the tank a year and a half ago. At the time, someone on here mentioned that it sounded like columnaris. I had no definitive proof that it was columnaris but I treated the tank with something called Furan-2 (I think) from my LFS and it cleared everything up.

I was planning on treating this as I did my "columnaris" infection before. My LFS is closed on Sundays so I went to Petco and purchased API "Pimafix" which was the only product they had to treat fungal infections. Does anyone have any experience with this product?

Also, I have some Amanos so I need to be careful about them too.
__________________
My first planted tank: The Wooden Buddha Mess
Cannonbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 408
Default

So I just Googled Furan-2 and it turns out that it is also made by API...what is the difference betwen that and the Pimafix??
__________________
My first planted tank: The Wooden Buddha Mess
Cannonbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,030
Default

1. columaris is not a fungal infection
2. they're different chemicals. Pimafix is only for preventative applications.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 408
Default Re: Columnaris treatment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
1. columaris is not a fungal infection
2. they're different chemicals. Pimafix is only for preventative applications.
I see. I am going to return it tomorrow and go get the Furan-2. What type of infxn is columaris?
__________________
My first planted tank: The Wooden Buddha Mess
Cannonbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC area
Posts: 2,958
Default

Bacterial.
wendyjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:22 AM   #6
wendyjo
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC area
Posts: 2,958
Default

FYI Petco does not carry any real fish meds anymore such as anitbiotics- they stopped a few years ago. Petsamrt still sells them.
wendyjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #7
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru
 
Monster Fish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (35/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,959
Default

FYI, Furan-2 aka Nitrofurazone should not be used with amanos in the tank. Invertebrates can be killed by this specific antibiotic. As for the columnaris, a combination of Furan-2 and Kanamycin worked great in completely eradicating it.
__________________
5.5 gallon grass tank|5.5 gallon Rili tank
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #8
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru
 
ngrubich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
FYI, Furan-2 aka Nitrofurazone should not be used with amanos in the tank. Invertebrates can be killed by this specific antibiotic. As for the columnaris, a combination of Furan-2 and Kanamycin worked great in completely eradicating it.
How much of each is used in the combo?

I am also trying to get rid of a suspected columnaris outbreak: do I add full amounts of each antibiotic, based on instructions, or just half? I would assume full amounts of each
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #9
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru
 
Monster Fish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (35/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
How much of each is used in the combo?

I am also trying to get rid of a suspected columnaris outbreak: do I add full amounts of each antibiotic, based on instructions, or just half? I would assume full amounts of each
I just follow the dosage directions on each package and dose them at the same time. Never use antibiotics at diluted strength. You'll create antibiotic resistant strains of the bacteria. Also, always do a full course of treatment. Don't stop halfway once the symptoms disappear.
__________________
5.5 gallon grass tank|5.5 gallon Rili tank
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #10
ngrubich
Wannabe Guru
 
ngrubich's Avatar
 
PTrader: (25/100%)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
I just follow the dosage directions on each package and dose them at the same time. Never use antibiotics at diluted strength. You'll create antibiotic resistant strains of the bacteria. Also, always do a full course of treatment. Don't stop halfway once the symptoms disappear.
I figured so. Also, is this a "whole tank" treatment, or move the fish to a hospital tank? I'm curious because I don't know who all is actually sick (they die over night randomly and lose their fins), so I don't want an incomplete treatment because I missed a fish or something like that.
ngrubich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:39 AM   #11
Monster Fish
Planted Tank Guru
 
Monster Fish's Avatar
 
PTrader: (35/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
I figured so. Also, is this a "whole tank" treatment, or move the fish to a hospital tank? I'm curious because I don't know who all is actually sick (they die over night randomly and lose their fins), so I don't want an incomplete treatment because I missed a fish or something like that.
Dose the entire tank if you aren't sure who's infected. Besides, the bacteria is already in the water column.
__________________
5.5 gallon grass tank|5.5 gallon Rili tank
RAOK Club #77|The Fraternity of Dirt #112
Monster Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:11 AM   #12
Cannonbolt
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 408
Default Re: Columnaris treatment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Fish View Post
FYI, Furan-2 aka Nitrofurazone should not be used with amanos in the tank. Invertebrates can be killed by this specific antibiotic. As for the columnaris, a combination of Furan-2 and Kanamycin worked great in completely eradicating it.
Is there a tx I can use that is safe for the Amanos?
__________________
My first planted tank: The Wooden Buddha Mess
Cannonbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:00 PM   #13
mistergreen
No more Bow ties
 
mistergreen's Avatar
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 14,030
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonbolt View Post
Is there a tx I can use that is safe for the Amanos?
You're going to need to use strong antibiotics so no. Hope for the best.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012