mwei's "tanky" journey!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #1
mwei
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

mwei's "tanky" journey!

I had another one of these journal threads a long while ago and everything is all out of date and whatnot and I have A LOT more tanks than before...so...I guess why not make a whole new thread all together?

Anyhow, these are the tanks that I currently have:

6- 10 Gallons
1- 20 Gallon Tall
1- 5 Gallon Fluval Chi
2- 2.5 Gallon Shrimp Tanks
4- 1 Gallon Betta Containers

Breakdown:

1- Dirted/Planted 10 Gallon Community Tank
5- 10 Gallons for breeding (2 for betta breeding, 3 for guppy breeding. currently cycling all 5 tanks with 2 comet goldfish each)
1- 20 Gallon Tall Planted Guppy Tank
1- 5 Gallon Fluval Chi with 3 goldfish (only home I have for them as I am waiting for a 75 gallon to put them into until I can finally make a pond in my backyard)
1- 2.5 Gallon Shrimp tank with Blue Velvet Shrimps + Ramshorn and Malaysian Trumpet Snails
1- 2.5 Gallon Shrimp tank with Red Cherry Shrimps + Ramshorn and Malaysian Trumpet Snails

I guess, since I am a photographer/aspiring videographer, I will be making and uploading update videos/photos of my tanks every so often...SO...be sure to be on a look out for them!
mwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
mwei
Planted Member

5/13 Planted 25 Gallon Guppy Tank

Had a somewhat of a recent outbreak of fin rot that took out a HUGE portion of my guppy population. Very sad about that BUT I took this opportunity to re-scape the tank and add in MORE plants! Most of the new plants were trimmings from the dirted 10 gallon! Seems that the guppy population has steadied itself now so I hope they will repopulate soon! I'm just left with mostly guppy fry now. On a side note, also decided to give the DIY CO2 a go and it is almost a week and it is yielding AMAZING results!
Here's an update video on the tank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKix...pp%3Aupload_ne
Old 05-14-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
mwei
Planted Member

10 Gallon Dirted/Planted Tank

The most recent update video I have on this tank is from 1/31/14 BUT not that much actually changed with this tank. The only changes are:

1. Did a HUGE plant trimming as things were growing so well with being dirted and what now. All plant trimmings were moved to the 25 Gallon guppy tank.

2. Cleaned up the look ("re-arranged some of the plants and what not).

3. Added in some DIY CO2. So far not yielding as much results as with the 25 Gallon guppy tank but i am noticing the plants are getting slightly more and more green.

Here's the 1/31 update video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQFJv2-QGKY
Old 05-14-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
mwei
Planted Member

Betta Fish "Tanks"

I have all of my bettas in the 1 Gallon containers. Each with their own filter rated for 5 gallon tanks. This is the only way that I can insure that all of my bettas will be comfortable with consistent good water quality compared to having them in bigger containers w/o filters. All containers also have at least 2-3 different plants to help keep the water condition good.

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYMcc0NY2sc

The newest betta that I received from a fellow TpT member:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UngZkQWcvl0
Old 05-20-2014, 01:24 AM   #5
mwei
Planted Member

5/19/14 Update

Anacharis Grass, Rotala Colorata, and aquascaping tools are in! All plants came in very good condition!

I decided to split them all between all of my tanks so all of my tanks now have some Anacharis Grass and Rotala Colorata! Also, I have to say, why didn't I decided to get them tweezers earlier?!!! It makes planting and life so much easier and painless! Such a OP tool!

Shout out to PowerAngel! Thank you so much for the Rotala Colorata!

Last edited by mwei; 05-20-2014 at 01:26 AM.. Reason: Added Image
Old 05-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #6
mwei
Planted Member

A very late update, lol!

Finally got my hands on some Glossostigma! Shout out to a fellow TPT member, mistuhmarc, for giving them to me along with a bonus side trimming of some Hydrocotyle(?)! Thanks again mistuhmarc, I really appreciate it and am loving the plants!

On a side note, although the aquascaping tweezers did help make the planting process of the Glossostigma easier to do but it was still pretty darn tedious. I'm still having the problem of having at least 1 node of the Glossostigma pop out one me per day, haha.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:25 AM   #7
mwei
Planted Member

5/25/14 Planted 20 Gallon Tall Guppy Tank Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q3j...ature=youtu.be

Recently found out that the 25 gallon tank was actually a 20 gallon tall tank when I was purchasing the 5 10 gallon tanks that will be used for breeding. So, I stand correct that this tank was not a 25 gallon tank, no biggie still a good and awesome tank!

Anyhow, UPDATES!

Got some new plants and items over this past week, yay!

1. I was really excited to finally get my hands on some Rotala Colorata, Glossostigma, and Anacharis.

2. Alongside of those plants, I finally obtained some aquascaping tweezers and scissors. I have to say, I should've gotten a pair of tweezers for planting a long time ago...the tweezers make planting so much EASIER and PAINLESS. AMAZING!

3. The DIY CO2 is still doing very well. Got some news leaves onto the Amazon Sword Plant that I am attempting to save, the Water Wisteria "forest" is getting taller and lusher, the newly added plants are all doing well and adjusting to the new environment perfectly, the lotus bulb plants is shooting up more leaves, and all of the plants seem to be getting more vibrantly colored.

4. Decided to go to Petsmart to get some more guppies in attempt to try to repopulate the tank. (4 males and 2 females as I was mostly left with females after the massive outbreak of fin rot a month or 2 ago.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
mwei
Planted Member

5/25/14 Dirted 10 Gallon Community Tank Update

Finally got some free time and decided to FINALLY make an update video for my dirted 10 gallon community tank! Lots of things have changed since the previous update video that I made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-sHhFH7_II&feature=youtu.be

UPDATES:

1. I took out 2 of the small terracotta pots and used them for potting up other aquatic plants in some of my other tanks. I also originally took out the large terracotta pot that's in this video and later on I decided to put it back in as the tank looked kinda "naked". Another reason why I decided to put the pot back in was that the pot had tremendous amounts of algae growing on it. With all that algae on the pot, I was thinking that it could act as an all you can eat buffet for the snails in the tank, and thus, I placed it back in.

2. FINALLY got some fish in! 10 neon tetras, 2 cherry barbs, and 2 red phantom tetras(?). They all seem to be enjoying the new environment and landscape.

3. Plant updates! I added in a water sprite stem, unknown Anubias, Glossostigma, Rotala Colorata, and some Anacharis Grass. The water wisteria seems to have slowed down in growth for some reason but it looks like it is getting more vibrantly green though. The Lotus bulb plant is picking up it's growing pace again and is shooting up a lot more submerged leaves, which is looking pretty awesome! And for my floaters, my duckweed, water lettuce, and water spangles are all multiplying like crazy due to the ferts and the DIY CO2 that I've been using.

Planning to get in another type of community fish species. I'm hoping that I'll be able to find one that is colorful and can pop out (colorwise)/contrast with the silver and red colors of the current inhabitants in the tank.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #9
mistuhmarc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwei View Post
5/25/14 Planted 20 Gallon Tall Guppy Tank Update

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q3j...ature=youtu.be

Recently found out that the 25 gallon tank was actually a 20 gallon tall tank when I was purchasing the 5 10 gallon tanks that will be used for breeding. So, I stand correct that this tank was not a 25 gallon tank, no biggie still a good and awesome tank!

Anyhow, UPDATES!

Got some new plants and items over this past week, yay!

1. I was really excited to finally get my hands on some Rotala Colorata, Glossostigma, and Anacharis.

2. Alongside of those plants, I finally obtained some aquascaping tweezers and scissors. I have to say, I should've gotten a pair of tweezers for planting a long time ago...the tweezers make planting so much EASIER and PAINLESS. AMAZING!

3. The DIY CO2 is still doing very well. Got some news leaves onto the Amazon Sword Plant that I am attempting to save, the Water Wisteria "forest" is getting taller and lusher, the newly added plants are all doing well and adjusting to the new environment perfectly, the lotus bulb plants is shooting up more leaves, and all of the plants seem to be getting more vibrantly colored.

4. Decided to go to Petsmart to get some more guppies in attempt to try to repopulate the tank. (4 males and 2 females as I was mostly left with females after the massive outbreak of fin rot a month or 2 ago.
Hope you can put that glosso to good use . Hahahaha, It'll be a quick grower.
mistuhmarc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:00 AM   #10
mwei
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistuhmarc View Post
Hope you can put that glosso to good use . Hahahaha, It'll be a quick grower.
haha, def. will put them to good use! I can't wait to see how the glosso will look after a month of so!
Old 05-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #11
mwei
Planted Member

5/29/14

The Water Hyacinth are in! I got one in each of my breeding 10 gallon tanks and I have one baby runner in the 20 gallon tall guppy tank! Can't wait to see how these guys will look when they get much bigger!