Suggestions: non-schooling fish for an 18" x 18"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #1
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Suggestions: non-schooling fish for an 18" x 18"

I have an 18" x 18" x 18" cube that I'm going to make into a riparium. It will probably be filled up to 11" or 12" (so about 15 gallons of water).

Because of the dimensions, I'm looking for a relatively small fish, preferable non-schooling. Also preferably cold water, though tropical is still doable. Something that is easy to acquire would also help.

I was either thinking White Cloud Mountain minnows, or some sort of killifish or Psuedomugil gertrudae. I'm not sure where I can find the last two, but the LFS near my parents house in San Jose does occasionally carry them.

Old 02-28-2013, 03:38 AM   #2
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

From San Jose, look into Neptune's, in Millpitas, if I remember correctly.

WCM are schooling, highly active fish. I would not put them into such a small tank.

Killies would be nice, are you interested in the annual Killies, or something similar? Clown Killies are small enough to work in that tank. They are surface fish. I am not sure how social they are, the only time I saw them was a dozen or more in a tank.

How about a pair of dwarf Cichlids, Apistos, Rams or similar? These are not cool water fish, though.

Pseudomugil of some sort sounds good. I have seen these in several stores, including Albany Aquarium (in Albany, of course).

If you keep male only Endlers, you would not have to catch and remove the fry. If you keep a mixed colony, you will have plenty of fish to take to the store and sell or at least get store credit. Endlers are OK in room temperature tanks. Low 70s works well for them, if you can set a heater on low.

Do you have the hard water that most of San Jose seems to have? Or are you willing to work with RO or distilled?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:14 AM   #3
Gnomecatcher
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I don't live in San Jose anymore, I'm in San Luis Obispo. I frequently visit San Jose to visit my family. The water here isn't too hard, but I can always mix it with RO/DI or I can buy drinking water from the store. Also I have aquasoil, which made my 5 gallon really really soft.

I've seen Neptune's keep tons of clown killies together, but they looked like juveniles.

I did not realize you can keep cichlids in 15 gallons. I would have thought 30 gallons minimum?

I'm pretty sick of Endler's. I had a colony going for a while. They're not that interesting. I'm interested in fish with interesting behaviors, such as the P. gertrudae. Another fish I would gladly have is sparkling gouramis, but someone said you could basically only keep two in 15 gallons. I would much rather have at least 4.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #4
the_deeb
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Not cool water, but what about a trio of dwarf puffers (Carinotetraodon travancoricus)?

If you want to go with hard water another interesting option could be a group of shell-dwellers e.g. Lamprologus multifasciatus

the_deeb is offline   Reply With Quote