Need input on setup - new to planted tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 05-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
emrtldrgn

PTrader: (0/0%)

Need input on setup - new to planted tanks

Hey all,

I have had a 40 gallon tank for a couple of years now and want to upgrade to a better (non-kit) setup. I have always wanted to go the planted tank route and figured this would be a great opportunity.

I am currently shopping around for a 80 - 110 gallon acrylic tank (live near San Francisco if anyone has one for sale that is nearby) and I wanted to see if anyone had some input on what I plan on for the setup.

First my current setup:

40 gal glass aqueron kit

1 6"-8" red sailfin pleco
1 10"-12" fire eel
2 5" blue gouramis
1 2" electric blue jack dempsey
6 2" red line sharks
6 1"-2" congo tetra

Proposed setup:

80 - 100 gal acrylic tank

Wet/Dry filtration
  • Depending on tank it may be built in. If it is not built in does anyone have any recommendations?

Fluval 405 or X5 canister
300W Heater
Marineland ML Double Bright LED
Plants - I was thinking of doing something simlar to this. Maybe a little less on the right as far as density goes. And I may want to add some type of rock or structure to the left....

That is what I am thinking of for basic setup. I also have some questions that I would like to get answered.
  • For the substrate I was going to go with something like Eco-Complete or Aquasoil. I read the pro/con guide that is here, but I always like to hear peoples choices and why.
  • Is the additional filter (external canister) too much?
  • Probably an obvious answer to this one. With plants do I have to ever worry about vacuuming the substrate?
  • Should I use chemical buffers with plants?
  • I know my Fire Eel likes to bury himself. With a planted tank I would imagine that there are going to be good hiding spots in the plants themselves. I have also seen a few videos of people with planted tanks and fire eels. Does anyone have any advice on this?
  • Should worry about the pleco and the plants?

Any other comments are welcome as well! (As if I could stop them. )
emrtldrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
LibertyToad

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrtldrgn View Post
Hey all,

I have had a 40 gallon tank for a couple of years now and want to upgrade to a better (non-kit) setup. I have always wanted to go the planted tank route and figured this would be a great opportunity.

I am currently shopping around for a 80 - 110 gallon acrylic tank (live near San Francisco if anyone has one for sale that is nearby) and I wanted to see if anyone had some input on what I plan on for the setup.

First my current setup:

40 gal glass aqueron kit

1 6"-8" red sailfin pleco
1 10"-12" fire eel
2 5" blue gouramis
1 2" electric blue jack dempsey
6 2" red line sharks
6 1"-2" congo tetra

Proposed setup:

80 - 100 gal acrylic tank

Wet/Dry filtration
  • Depending on tank it may be built in. If it is not built in does anyone have any recommendations?

Fluval 405 or X5 canister
300W Heater
Marineland ML Double Bright LED
Plants - I was thinking of doing something simlar to this. Maybe a little less on the right as far as density goes. And I may want to add some type of rock or structure to the left....

That is what I am thinking of for basic setup. I also have some questions that I would like to get answered.
  • For the substrate I was going to go with something like Eco-Complete or Aquasoil. I read the pro/con guide that is here, but I always like to hear peoples choices and why.
  • Probably an obvious answer to this one. With plants do I have to ever worry about vacuuming the substrate?
  • I know my Fire Eel likes to bury himself. With a planted tank I would imagine that there are going to be good hiding spots in the plants themselves. I have also seen a few videos of people with planted tanks and fire eels. Does anyone have any advice on this?

I like the looks of acrylic tanks, but the ones I've had eventually developed cracks in them after a number of years. I didn't more them around much or anything so I'm not sure what happened, but I've had it happen to both of my small acrylic tanks.

Maybe someone can chime in about them.

Marineland has a pretty decent plant LED light. They aren't cheap but they do put out a ton of light (and thus may need a CO2 system).

Good luck with the tank. Let us know how it goes.
LibertyToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
sp33drhno
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (45/100%)

the marineland double bright probably won't be enough light. a better choice would be a finnex fugeray or ray 2, depending on how deep the tank is. or you could build your own.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #4
jfynyson
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrtldrgn View Post
My $0.02

You'll need high light, CO2, & ferts for sure to grow those kinds of plants well.
  • In my opinion the link below is for a Fluval 300W heater that's a little cheaper and I've had two in my 135gal for a couple years now and they are flawless (keeps temp within 1-2 degrees always).
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23627
  • As for LEDs I can only speak for the (4) 30" strips I have for planted tanks seen in the link below. These 4 were recommended for my 135gal to give high lighting.
http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-show-tank/
  • I started my tank w/ Eco-complete & Flourite. Then I capped it all w/ river pebbles large & small. I wished I would've not used any particles size substrate bigger than something like the Eco-complete. That will be key to successfully planting the carpet foreground plants you won't. I know folks have had success with the ADA soil as well but be careful of the ammonia spike they put off at first (depending on what specific type you get).
  • Most folks vacuum about 1" just above the substrate. Leaving a some of the mulm is beneficial to the plants.
  • I believe most any canister filters it's hard to go wrong.
  • I'd worry about any fish over 5-6". I am trying to get rid of my pleco due to hime kicking up my plants every single day. It drives me crazy. Then he sucks holes in the leaves of my swords. If push comes to shove I'll get rid of my 9yr old Clown Loach for this reason as well (kicking up plants). They've not been happy at all since I started adding more plants, ferts, and weekly cleaning / water changes. They liked not being disturbed. Now the two bug guys but heads everyday too.
I hope this all helps ! Best of luck....it's a fun journey for sure.
jfynyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:30 AM   #5
Dan's85
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
I'd worry about any fish over 5-6"
+1 I've learned the hard way with larger sized fish. I started with a 9.5'' dragon goby and he was a plant destroyer. Then I got 3 pictus cats, not only did they kick up plants, but they ate all of my harlequin rasboras. From what I've been told, fire eels are pretty destructive and carnivorous, a cool fish in their own right, but not my first choice for a planted tank.
The Fraternity of Dirt #136
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

40b tank journal
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...594&highlight=
10g NPT Betta tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=358321
Dan's85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #6
emrtldrgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfynyson View Post
My $0.02

You'll need high light, CO2, & ferts for sure to grow those kinds of plants well.
  • In my opinion the link below is for a Fluval 300W heater that's a little cheaper and I've had two in my 135gal for a couple years now and they are flawless (keeps temp within 1-2 degrees always).
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23627
  • As for LEDs I can only speak for the (4) 30" strips I have for planted tanks seen in the link below. These 4 were recommended for my 135gal to give high lighting.
http://www.buildmyled.com/freshwater-show-tank/
  • I started my tank w/ Eco-complete & Flourite. Then I capped it all w/ river pebbles large & small. I wished I would've not used any particles size substrate bigger than something like the Eco-complete. That will be key to successfully planting the carpet foreground plants you won't. I know folks have had success with the ADA soil as well but be careful of the ammonia spike they put off at first (depending on what specific type you get).
  • Most folks vacuum about 1" just above the substrate. Leaving a some of the mulm is beneficial to the plants.
  • I believe most any canister filters it's hard to go wrong.
  • I'd worry about any fish over 5-6". I am trying to get rid of my pleco due to hime kicking up my plants every single day. It drives me crazy. Then he sucks holes in the leaves of my swords. If push comes to shove I'll get rid of my 9yr old Clown Loach for this reason as well (kicking up plants). They've not been happy at all since I started adding more plants, ferts, and weekly cleaning / water changes. They liked not being disturbed. Now the two bug guys but heads everyday too.
I hope this all helps ! Best of luck....it's a fun journey for sure.
Thanks for all the helpful info. My pleco is definitely the main concern that i have of all the fish in my tank now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan's85 View Post
From what I've been told, fire eels are pretty destructive and carnivorous, a cool fish in their own right, but not my first choice for a planted tank.
That is what i thought too but I have also heard of fire eels being fine is planted tanks as long as they have lots of hiding places.... I guess i will find out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp33drhno View Post
the marineland double bright probably won't be enough light. a better choice would be a finnex fugeray or ray 2, depending on how deep the tank is. or you could build your own.
Looked around on line for one that will fit my tank (60 inch) and could not find one. Thoughts? Also my tank is 18" tall.
emrtldrgn is offline   Reply With Quote