Flourite questions - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 11-03-2003, 11:39 AM   #16
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

Ok, I will take your knowledge and add it to my own. Now the funny thing is that sandstone is generally regarded as safe for planted tanks.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2003, 06:34 PM   #17
hipchack
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to hipchack

yea, CaCO3 isn't used to make all sandstone, and not all sandstones are made through chemical precipitation. In actuality CaCO3 is a greater factor in sedimentary rocks, and sandstone is only a type of sedimentary rocks. In the end, test test test the stone with some acid!!!! whew.
hipchack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 01:18 AM   #18
smnbsslr

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks All For the Great feedback,

I'll start a minor GH study of the sandstone leaching CaCO3 this weekend.

A short answer to why the use of D. Buffer. The tanks that I have are gen. all amazonian (e.g., apistos. ect). Since getting back into aqaria, I have been TDY (gone) often. The D. buffer offers a stable envior (e.g., recipe) that I can let others (wife) manage while I am TDY. Asking her to do peat would be pushing it. Besides the only ones who don't seem to like it are the Rams.

Now that duty demands have lessened. I will have the time properly soften the water with peat. RO may be the next step but I'll wait to see how things go with the peat and rock removal.

Only A. borellii & A. agassizii will be bummed out about the rocks, no one else will care. Wood will have to do.

Thanks again.

slb
Old 11-05-2003, 04:11 AM   #19
smnbsslr

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the feedback, I'll do a test on the stone shortly.

The use of D. Buffer is related to me being TDY(gone) for extended periods of time. It's easier for family to use. Asking my wife to takeover a soft peat tank would be pushing it. I'm happy the apistos get fed and are still alive when I get home.

Now that I'm back, the rocks will come out (maybe) and peat goes into the fluvals. On the other hand they may balance out the peat blunting a crash.