Eclipse hoods and surface agitation
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-30-2003, 06:01 AM   #1
blueoctober
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi all. I'm new here, and I'm starting out with a planted aquarium for the first time. Actually, this is really the first time I've ever kept fish, other than feeder fish in my turtle's tank. I've now moved her to a larger tub, so her 20 long aquarium is abandoned, and I want to turn it into a planted community tank. I need to get a hood, a twin tube fluorescent fixture and a filter. I was going to buy all those separately, but then I saw those Eclipse hoods with the filter built in. I would probably get the Eclipse 3 hood, since it also has twin tubes, rated 18 watts each. Anyway, I've been researching planted tanks for a few weeks now, and I've read that HOB or power filters can cause surface agitation, releasing Co2. Will the bio-wheel filter agitate the surface too much, or should I go with a canister filter I originally planned on when buying the hood and fixture seperately? (For Co2 supplementation I was planning on using Flourish Excell as a supplement.) Any assistance is appreciated, and plan on hearing more from me in the future!
blueoctober is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2003, 12:12 PM   #2
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

If you are going to use Excel the surface turbulence issue is moot. It only becomes an issue when you are injecting CO2 gas into the water.

The Eclipse hoods would not be my first choice for a tank. The light is directed toward the back of the tank. I feel you would be better off with say an Aqua Clear filter and a better light fixture. If you want a cannister filter then get one. A 20 gallon tank is right at the lower end of the size where a cannister filter will work.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote