Additional HOB & water movement
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 03-30-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
Smeagol
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

Additional HOB & water movement

I'm currently running an AquaClear 50 on my 20g high tank. I think I need a little bit more water movement. So I'm thinking that if I'm going to add equipment to move water around, why not achieve additional filtration at the same time?

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on running 2 HOB filters simultaneously. Is there any harm to fish and/or plants? Will adding a second HOB improve water movement?
55g: Finnex Planted+ & MonsterRay, Pressurized CO2 w/ Atomic inline diffuser, Eheim 2217, Eco-Complete, EI ferts. Assorted Tetras, Otos, & Nerites. Glosso, Didiplis diandra, Hygrophila corymbosa, Creeping Jenny, Ludwigia repens, Ludwigia glandulosa, Jungle Val, Amazon Sword, Red Melon Sword, Wisteria.

20g high: 2x24w T5ho, DIY CO2 & Excel, 2xAC50, Flourite, miscellaneous ferts.
Otos, Red Wag Platies, Harlequin Rasboras. Marsilea quadrifolia, Jungle Val, Cabomba, Tropica Sword, Water Sprite.
Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #2
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

I added 20 hobs to my 20L. It gave me water movement but not circulation. If you had 1 on each side of the aquarium it would work but with 2 on the back I could see my co2 on only 1 side of the aquarium. HOBs also don't give the best movement to the bottom of the aquarium.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

I ran 3x 170's on a 20L without any issues, and i run 2x 170's and 1x 350 on a 29g.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
Jordin
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
I'm currently running an AquaClear 50 on my 20g high tank. I think I need a little bit more water movement. So I'm thinking that if I'm going to add equipment to move water around, why not achieve additional filtration at the same time?

I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts on running 2 HOB filters simultaneously. Is there any harm to fish and/or plants? Will adding a second HOB improve water movement?
An option for you to consider....

Get an Aquaclear 20 Powerhead which will give you the circulation you're looking for in your 20 gallon with the ability to direct the flow to where you need and want it.

If you're wanting some additional filtration you can also add an Aquaclear Quickfilter attachment to the powerhead now or later if you choose.

The quickfilters are great, you can add your own custom media to them just like any other aquaclear filter.

The powerhead will give you flexibility in the circulation of your tank now and in the future and you can always add the quickfilter if you feel you need or want more filtration.
Jordin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

When you add another water movement (from filter, power head or air pump) make sure the 2 items are not fighting each other. Align them so they are making the water move the same way.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote