GLA Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator V2 leaking
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
kperera
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

GLA Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator V2 leaking

I bought an Atomic Paintball CO2 Regulator V2 from GLA last November. Today I noticed that CO2 is leaking from the threads at the place where the paintball adapter goes into the regulator. This is where the blue nylon o-ring is, so I am guessing that the o-ring needs to be replaced. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so how you fixed it. (I have already sent an email to GLA.)
kperera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (105/100%)

It's starting to look like a common problem with those things. Orlando has been recommending a perma seal to solve the leak.
oldpunk78 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
Bettatail
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/98%)

get some o-rings should be fine, it is really cheap for a package of 10.
Bettatail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
gnod
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

curious but would this apply to other regulators that use paintball adapters?
gnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Sorry to pull up an old thread (well not that old).. but I'm considering this regulator and wanted to know if the leak was resolved or is this a design flaw?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #6
kperera
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Cali77 View Post
Sorry to pull up an old thread (well not that old).. but I'm considering this regulator and wanted to know if the leak was resolved or is this a design flaw?
I don't think it's a design flaw. I probably loosened the paintball adapter when I was changing the CO2 bottles. It's difficult to tighten it by hand once it gets loosened. I just shipped it to Orlando, and he tightened it with their system and shipped it right back to me. It's working fine now.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

So overall do you recommend it? I was debating between this GLA one and the Aquatek mini regulator for paintball.

And can the GLA atomic reg be used with a standard glass/ceramic diffuser or does it need to be an atomic diffuser?

Thanks kperera!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
kperera
Planted Member

Quote:
So overall do you recommend it? I was debating between this GLA one and the Aquatek mini regulator for paintball.
Yes, I would definitely recommend it. It's the only CO2 regulator I have ever had, so I don't know how it compares to the Aquatek.

Quote:
And can the GLA atomic reg be used with a standard glass/ceramic diffuser or does it need to be an atomic diffuser?

Thanks kperera!
I use it with an atomic diffuser, so I don't know if it can be used with a standard glass/ceramic one.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

Well good enough... I appreciate your feedback on it. I do have an Aquatek mini regulator. I like it when it roughly $80. Now that they raised the price on it, for not much more I can get the GLA paintball reg for our new tank. My Aquatek works but the needle valve frustrates me in that I have to adjust it every so often.. for $80 I didn't mind so much, but at their new price ($149.99) I'm thinking of buying a different product.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
It can be used with a standard glass/ceramic diffuser (or an atomic diffuser).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:26 AM   #11
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

They've only raised the price temporarily. I believe they were having trouble getting them in but someone said they will be back down come May
Quote:
Well good enough... I appreciate your feedback on it. I do have an Aquatek mini regulator. I like it when it roughly $80. Now that they raised the price on it, for not much more I can get the GLA paintball reg for our new tank. My Aquatek works but the needle valve frustrates me in that I have to adjust it every so often.. for $80 I didn't mind so much, but at their new price ($149.99) I'm thinking of buying a different product.
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:43 AM   #12
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCichlids View Post
They've only raised the price temporarily. I believe they were having trouble getting them in but someone said they will be back down come May
Yeah if you read their ebay add it says they will be back down in price 5/10/2013.
I've never had problems with my aquatek needle valve probably only moved it once or twice to tweak it around and its stayed there.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #13
Brian_Cali77
Wannabe Guru

I guess I missed that little part about the "temporary" price hike. I own two Aquatek paintball regs, they both behave the same. One actually runs 24/7 not on a timer and sometimes the solenoid valve actuated in that I have to un-plug and plug it to get it running again. Anyway, just because they're low in stock doesn't seem right to bump the price that high. Just backorder the darn thing and don't take advantage of the consumer like rising gas prices. I've also noticed that they did something similar to their full sized regulator in that they're selling it as only the indoor plant option and selling the brass bubble counter separately - when it used to come with it... I find these recent shifts in Aquatek distasteful and I think I'm going to spend my money with GLA on my next regulator..

Edit: OP - sorry if I hijacked.. I suppose this has some relevance in why my interest shifted to the GLA atomic regulator v2. Thank you for your insight on it again!
Old 03-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
kperera
Planted Member

I also wanted to say that the GLA customer service has been outstanding. Orlando replied to all my emails about the reg almost immediately, and I got the reg back just a couple of days after I shipped it to him for service!