LED = washed out color? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
The ! was meant to be a ?..just noticed that.

Sure on paper it should work but can you make it work for the source is the question. I thought you knew of a LED fixture that did this well is all I was looking for.

from my iP 5 via Tapa.
Read up on the term Color Rendering Index.

Retail aquatic plant led light sources generally use only a few led's of limited spectral distribution. In order to see lifelike colors at there best [if that is the goal], a diy approach is you option. One company that does that is Build My Led. It has an app were you can design the system an they will build it for you. Acan Lighting has a retail led light source called Prism 600. They also use multi-color leds. And lastly I just came across this company [Radion] which has an multi-color led aquarium spot light.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...898&highlight=

One of the forum members has lights from Build My Led and photos of her tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=198196
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #17
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
Read up on the term Color Rendering Index.

Retail aquatic plant led light sources generally use only a few led's of limited spectral distribution. In order to see lifelike colors at there best [if that is the goal], a diy approach is you option. One company that does that is Build My Led. It has an app were you can design the system an they will build it for you. Acan Lighting has a retail led light source called Prism 600. They also use multi-color leds. And lastly I just came across this company [Radion] which has an multi-color led aquarium spot light.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...898&highlight=

One of the forum members has lights from Build My Led and photos of her tank
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=198196

I should have better explained better what it is I was trying to point out, since it was left open for misinterpretation/confusion.

So let me try again.

Let’s say we have a 1 6000K & 1 5000K LED system, do you think the resulting 'CRI & CCT or (color rendered if you want to call it that) will be similar to comparable configured T5HO fluorescent? That is the question.

CRI is great and while it sounds good none of us really want accurate color representation to "natural' light. I believe we all relate a natural lights color as being ‘washed out’ for our application ...unless I'm the only crazy one that think it does for our application

So while the whole CRI talk sounds good there's more to it than that since a lights color reproduction is what makes plants give us the wow effect when given the right conditions. With LED (like halides) I am still waiting to see plants wow me 'color wise. We know the LEDS like halides WILL make a plant grow and color up like no tomorrow, but it will not look close to the colors achievable from a good florescent based lighting, and what the OP is asking about.

I'm open to change and why I asked if there was a fixture you know of. Buildmyled, while it has some great options does not fit the bill regarding resulting plants colors due the rendered colors as explained above. Again, not because it’s a BML system, it’s just an LED thing. It may be good for some, but I haven’t seen any pictures so far that matches the comparison example above.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #18
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I should have better explained better what it is I was trying to point out, since it was left open for misinterpretation/confusion.

So let me try again.

Letís say we have a 1 6000K & 1 5000K LED system, do you think the resulting 'CRI & CCT or (color rendered if you want to call it that) will be similar to comparable configured T5HO fluorescent? That is the question.
No.
T5HO is just a bulb type designation. It says nothing about the spectrum distribution so they can't be compared unless you have a spectral distribution graph.

Quote:
CRI is great and while it sounds good none of us really want accurate color representation to "natural' light. I believe we all relate a natural lights color as being Ďwashed outí for our application ...unless I'm the only crazy one that think it does for our application
Why not accurate as possible color reproduction ? It you think colors are washed out then you've not seen a planted tank under natural sunlight.

Quote:
So while the whole CRI talk sounds good there's more to it than that since a lights color reproduction is what makes plants give us the wow effect when given the right conditions. With LED (like halides) I am still waiting to see plants wow me 'color wise. We know the LEDS like halides WILL make a plant grow and color up like no tomorrow, but it will not look close to the colors achievable from a good florescent based lighting, and what the OP is asking about.
That is your choice to render plant color any way you wish.
Go to this thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...906&highlight= and look at the red plants at the designated time under natural light. Does that wow you ?

Quote:
I'm open to change and why I asked if there was a fixture you know of. Buildmyled, while it has some great options does not fit the bill regarding resulting plants colors due the rendered colors as explained above. Again, not because itís a BML system, itís just an LED thing. It may be good for some, but I havenít seen any pictures so far that matches the comparison example above.
Companies until recently have only offered a limited selection of leds which would could lead to a an unimpressive washed look do to limited spectral distribution. I think Acan lighting was the first company in 2011 that came out with multicolor led lighting. So in order to see glorious color it's necessary to have a wide gamut light source. Single fluorescent lights don't because they typically use only 3 phosphors. With led lighting you can diy tweak to make color pop as you like.
Only two fit the bill so far, multicolor led fixtures and plasma lighting.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
sunyang730
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I always use the ray 2 and I always have good result on it. The only thing I can think of for the hair algae is because it is too strong? They do give out alot of PAR. I am happy with my plant and they are growing very nice.

Please forgive me for my grammar mistakes!
sunyang730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

BULB SELECTION

tank with two whites on
tank with all 6 lights on
color reproduction is excellent there are led's ou there that can look nice
hard to find though
Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #21
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001 View Post
No.
T5HO is just a bulb type designation. It says nothing about the spectrum distribution so they can't be compared unless you have a spectral distribution graph.
I understand T5HO is a lamp designation, but it was used in context to explain the type of florescent lightning since they are all not equal. When I said comparable I meant even spectral power.

I guess what you are saying is that all LED can be made to look like florescent lighting since that's the only way to make the plants look as vivid. Forget they are using different methods (gas, arcs..etc) of generating light which impacts the color appearance.

Quote:
Why not accurate as possible color reproduction ? It you think colors are washed out then you've not seen a planted tank under natural sunlight.
I have and it's washed out If we wanted that look I believe we would all be running halides

Quote:
That is your choice to render plant color any way you wish.
Go to this thread http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...906&highlight= and look at the red plants at the designated time under natural light. Does that wow you ?
Perfect example of what we/I refer to as being washed out, even the fishes look blah. The natural light made the plant color up (not the issue) just like an LED or Halide, but the effect is lacking (the issue).

Quote:
Companies until recently have only offered a limited selection of leds which would could lead to a an unimpressive washed look do to limited spectral distribution. I think Acan lighting was the first company in 2011 that came out with multicolor led lighting. So in order to see glorious color it's necessary to have a wide gamut light source. Single fluorescent lights don't because they typically use only 3 phosphors. With led lighting you can diy tweak to make color pop as you like.
Only two fit the bill so far, multicolor led fixtures and plasma lighting.
LEDS brings some cool features to the table, but colorwise for plants it is lacking. Maybe we'll see this in the future.

The Junkie
Old 02-28-2013, 02:02 PM   #22
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I understand T5HO is a lamp designation, but it was used in context to explain the type of florescent lightning since they are all not equal. When I said comparable I meant even spectral power.

I guess what you are saying is that all LED can be made to look like florescent lighting since that's the only way to make the plants look as vivid. Forget they are using different methods (gas, arcs..etc) of generating light which impacts the color appearance.

I have and it's washed out If we wanted that look I believe we would all be running halides

Perfect example of what we/I refer to as being washed out, even the fishes look blah. The natural light made the plant color up (not the issue) just like an LED or Halide, but the effect is lacking (the issue).

LEDS brings some cool features to the table, but colorwise for plants it is lacking. Maybe we'll see this in the future.
The only thing I can say which I've said before is in order to see colors you need a wide gamut of color delivered by a light source. Photons are photons no matter what the visible light source is. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)

A new picture of my washed out LED tank.

TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #24
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post

Your tank looks nice, so I'm not going say it doesn't, but it is my opinion that the resulting colors of what is perceived is better under comparable configured fluorescent lightning.

This is like a iPhone Android debate and we already know which is better

This is where I end my contribution to this thread ends. The OP has more than enough info to make an educated decision.

The Junkie
Old 02-28-2013, 03:17 PM   #25
papwalker
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post

I'm impressed, even with my cynic tinted glasses.
What's the make n model??

Got fish? Go here... http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/

respect to all creatures great and small
papwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #26
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by papwalker View Post
I'm impressed, even with my cynic tinted glasses.
What's the make n model??
Finnex Fugeray, the lower light version they make. If I turn on the blue LED's at the same time it changes the spectrum a bit. This is with those off.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #27
Mumford
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Default LED = washed out color?

Seems like this finnexs are great for tiny tanks, but lose their power in the bigger ones.

But what do I know :P

- Mumford

20 Gallon Long - Work in Progress
Mumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
TexasCichlid
Surrounded by Blyxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post
Seems like this finnexs are great for tiny tanks, but lose their power in the bigger ones.

- Mumford
I have a nice carpet with ~35-45 par at the substrate ( 12-14 inches from the source ). The Ray II has that same par at 18 inches. That gives you some big flexibility on tank depth for a carpet.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
veryzer
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumford View Post

- Mumford
True for the fugeray, I think. But I believe the ray 2 should have plenty of light.
veryzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #30
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Also, I would like to point out that it is hard to capture the real look of lighting with a camera because of all the variables involved like camera type, settings used, computer used, monitor resolution etc.

One lighting example you might like from a photo and see it in person and not like it, same is true of seeing something in person could look better. That is why I like to see various lighting units in person to determine if I like the color spectrum.
So far my favorite color rendition is the ADA Solar I NAG 8K closely followed by the Solar II PC 8K.
A T5 with Midday and Aquaflora is pretty nice as well.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote