Lots of 20L Threads
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 AM   #1
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to dougolasjr

Lots of 20L Threads

I've been looking through post about lighting 20L, and I can't make a decision about which light to get. I only plan on low light plants . As of now I only need to really light the tank which is housing crays and moss. In the future I might have shrimp and would like to have low light plants. I was going to buy a shop lamp and install it on the shelf above the tank, but the clearance would be an issue. I also raise the level above it to do water changes so hanging a light would be cumbersome when doing that. It would be good to get some ideas from forum members.
dougolasjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #2
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)

Diy leds? Otherwise shop light really is the best option. Maybe 2 diy cfl fixtures near each end would allow space in the middle for maintenance or WC's

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
DerekFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #3
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

I have a 30" dual t5ho on top of mine. High light of course. I suggest either a dual t5no/t8 fixture on top of the tank or a suspended single/dual t5ho. Preferably 24" bulb w/ 30" fixture/reflectors.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
I have a 30" dual t5ho on top of mine. High light of course. I suggest either a dual t5no/t8 fixture on top of the tank or a suspended single/dual t5ho. Preferably 24" bulb w/ 30" fixture/reflectors.
His question is about space restrictions, not just regular light recommendations.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #5
starrlamia
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think a dual would make it medium light, I have a single t8 perfecto fixture and get low light, plants are fine and even growing. (as much as low light plants grow)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
Diy leds? Otherwise shop light really is the best option. Maybe 2 diy cfl fixtures near each end would allow space in the middle for maintenance or WC's

I have a shop light on the lower rack of one shelf and it hangs about 6-8 inches from shelf to bottom of the light which would put the light on sitting on the tank. I also saw some led's (premade) at lowes but supere xpensive to get enough to light the tank.

Ordering DIY Leds seems risky for me. My DIY usually turns out okay but a little MacGyverish on some parts.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekFF View Post
His question is about space restrictions, not just regular light recommendations.

The t5no/t8 on the tank would be fine then, no? Mounting legs are a couple of inches off the top and can easily slide from front to back to accommodate water changes (though, I never have to move mine at all).
Old 08-23-2012, 03:20 AM   #8
dougolasjr
Invert Addict

Quote:
The t5no/t8 on the tank would be fine then, no? Mounting legs are a couple of inches off the top and can easily slide from front to back to accommodate water changes (though, I never have to move mine at all).
Could you point in a direction ie link to a product. I've seen some lamps on amazon and i was never sure about the entire leg mounting options. Some have pictures that make it kinda clear and some its I hope I can mount this when I get it.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #9
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Mounting arms like so:

http://aquaticlife.com/products/277

I use their 30" dual t5ho fixture. Fits very nicely on top of my 20L and the legs are adjustable so it can fit shorter or slightly longer tanks.

Edit: removed the CFL fixtures...none that will fit a 20L sadly
Old 08-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #10
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
I ran 2x18w T5NO on my 20L for a very long time with no problems at all. I did not dose ferts or inject CO2 and did not have problems with algae. The only change I made was to change the tank from a 20L to a 29. I'm still using the same lighting. It's a good amount of light for that size of tank. I would definitely not use T5HO. Make sure it's T5NO.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 04:13 AM   #11
starrlamia
Planted Tank Obsessed

I like hoppys chart from this post
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=105774

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
starrlamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
MartyMA
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougolasjr View Post
I've been looking through post about lighting 20L, and I can't make a decision about which light to get. I only plan on low light plants . As of now I only need to really light the tank which is housing crays and moss. In the future I might have shrimp and would like to have low light plants. I was going to buy a shop lamp and install it on the shelf above the tank, but the clearance would be an issue. I also raise the level above it to do water changes so hanging a light would be cumbersome when doing that. It would be good to get some ideas from forum members.
Just like you, I am struggling with finding a light for my 20 long. A T5NO light is what I absolutely need. I am literally stopped dead in my build because I cannot find one. Everything is T5HO and even with the leg extensions, it is just way too much light. I hope someone can point us to a reliable 30" T5NO fixture appropriate for a low-tech planted tank. I wonder if a shorter length fixture would work - 24" maybe?
MartyMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
DerekFF
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Current USA or coralife

Old 08-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Coralifes are just a flat strip with sliding flimsy metal "legs". Current doesn't sell a normal T5.

Keep in mind, there are no 30" bulbs. 30" fixtures are just 24" bulbs with reflectors.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #15
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

I run a single stock aquarium t8 light on mine and my moss and Erio's love it. Low light ftw.