My New Herp...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
scbrooks87
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

My New Herp...

Hey everyone... New to Herp here. I have been working on an aquarium journal for a while, and in the meantime, my fiance and I got a snake... well she really is taking the reins on this one mostly, but I get to do some of the research lol.

Anyway, we got a baby corn snake... I used to have a corn back when I was just a kid, my parents took care of it. I don't remember a whole ton about them.

We got a zilla snake starter kit for it, is a 20 gallon long enclosure, daytime light/heat lamp, and night time heat lamp. Also a little rock hide, a water dish, and we picked up a fake tree thingy for it to climb on.

So now I'm wondering, what did we do wrong? And what do I need to replace? lol. From my research it seems they like humidity between 40-50%, and temperature around 75ish? Does that seem right? We live in so-cal, and so we tend to have a dry climate... what's the best way to add humidity? Mosses? Wet substrate? Misting? Suggestions? lol

In general, is there anything I should really really know to make sure I do right by this snake? We plan to feed it once every other week with thawed frozen mice. That's what the pet store has been doing. Does that seem like it's enough feeding? Or should it be more frequent?

Thanks for any and all info!
-Scott
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 04:05 AM   #2
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

if it is a baby i would feed every week. misting the substrate 1x a day works well for humidity, esp make sure the substrate in the hide box gets a good mist. substrate should be 100% dry by the afternoon/evening.

feeding can be tricky. when small i would feed mine, wait till the 'bulge' in their belly was gone, wait 2 more days then feed again. this may start as 1x per week then advance to 2x per week as they get bigger. after 2-3 weekd of 2x a week feeding it's time to move up to the next larger size mouse.

HTH and that is what I did with success
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:17 AM   #3
scbrooks87
Planted Member

Thanks for the info! I'll get a spray bottle of regular water to mist with for humidity during the day when the main light/heat lamp comes on. I was using the spray stuff that came with the zilla enclosure but it has a very odd smell to it and I don't really want to use it till I learn more about it.

So I supposed I'll be feeding this little snake sooner than later, they said they fed every other wednesday and this wednesday would be it's normal feed day.

Oh and for those interested till I get a pic on here, I am almost 100% sure it would be considered an Anerythristic color pattern. It looks a LOT like the snake in the top right of this little pic:

Any way to tell gender at this young age? We want to name him or her, but don't wanna get gender wrong lol.

-Scott
scbrooks87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

probing is the only way I know of determining sex with any accuracy.

I'll let you google it.
dprais1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
dreamwallaby
Algae Grower

I would not do the heat lamps. I have 6 corn snakes myself and they need belly heat. You should get an under tank heater. Check out www.cornsnakes.com
Old 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Tabberwok
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

if it's a baby def feed more often. until mine are about 15" I feed small meals every 5 days
Tabberwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #7
TDerivan
Algae Grower

+1 on the belly heat. I don't like heat lamps for snakes.
+1 on feeding every 5-7 days. They need food more often when they're young.
I've never had an issue with my corn snakes and humidity. As long as it's not desert dry it shouldn't be a problem. If you're worried though, just make sure the little guy has a water bowl big enough for him to fully submerse in. You can also offer him a moist hide (plastic box with moistened sphagnum moss inside).
As far as naming goes, unless you plan to breed you don't really need to worry about the sex of the animal. He won't care what you call him. As long as he gets his meals and stays healthy he'll be happy.
TDerivan is offline   Reply With Quote