6.6g Underwater Bonsai
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
poppyseed
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

6.6g Underwater Bonsai

FTS:

Let me start off by saying that I started perusing these forums probably over a year ago. The inspiration was unbelievable, and I tossed around ideas for what kind of tank I wanted. I settled on a bonsai-like theme and have been ever-so-slowly accumulating materials while juggling college life and work.

I'm working with a 6.6 bookshelf aquarium
coralife light fixture, 2x14 watts (I'm hoping the close proximity to the substrate will be enough light for the carpet plants I want)
I'll be using DIY CO2 after the tank is filled, but I am going to try a dry start

This is my first serious planted tank before this I only ever had an anubias/crypt in a low-light tank.

I put together the hardscape today and am expecting plants probably in a couple days.

This second picture I tried to label but you can't really see as well as I thought.

the purple is blyxa japonica
the small green strokes next to the purple is dwarf hairgrass
the yellow lumps are anubias nana "petite"
the strange green ovals are dwarf baby tears
pink on the tree I made is fissidens
and the purple blotched on the rock is where I may embellish with some moss or riccia

Last edited by poppyseed; 02-02-2013 at 05:17 AM.. Reason: pics man
poppyseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
DvsDev
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think it'll look real good, I really like the wood that you have and can see it turning out real nice once it fills in.
DvsDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #3
NeuRon
Algae Grower

That is a nice pice of wood to work with! Fissidens should look great... ...but I bet anything would (subwassertang would be a twist).

Nice plant choice and layout.
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:32 AM   #4
Tenzo
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Tenzo

All this talk about subwassertang trees... I'm going to make one lol.
Tenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
ulysses

I fear your stand may be inadequate. The pressure from the sides of the tank once filled may result in a leak or worse. Is this where the tank will rest once filled?
ulysses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
poppyseed
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
I fear your stand may be inadequate. The pressure from the sides of the tank once filled may result in a leak or worse. Is this where the tank will rest once filled?
No worries! The tank is just temporarily there until I get my tv onto the wall. I realized after posting that it probably seemed like its final resting place haha.

And about the subwassertang, I had considered this too but I wasn't really sure if it would clump the way I want. In some photos it looked very seaweed-ish but in others not so much. Fissidens, from what I've seen, is that kind of dense tree look I wanted (or so I hope!).
Old 02-10-2011, 04:19 AM   #7
NeuRon
Algae Grower

Can't blame you for going with a look you know you want. I agree, it should end up being very nice. Again, that's a very nice looking piece of wood for it.
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:39 AM   #8
.Mko.
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Always a fan of bonzai trees and moss tree set ups =) I will follow this thread with pleasure. great start btw can't wait to see those plants in.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
TheNailman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

can't wait to see the progress
TheNailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

If you haven't reinforced the edges with silicone (and you haven't filled the tank yet), I HIGHLY recommend it. I've got three of these tanks and one of them leaks. It's maddening. And if you look at the reviews online, I'm not the only one with a Bookshelf that developed this issue.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #11
poppyseed
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeuRon View Post
Can't blame you for going with a look you know you want. I agree, it should end up being very nice. Again, that's a very nice looking piece of wood for it.
Thanks! It's actually from some manzanita badcopnofishtank sold me a while ago. I took a piece I liked and used epoxy putty to put some smaller branches where I wanted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Maniac View Post
If you haven't reinforced the edges with silicone (and you haven't filled the tank yet), I HIGHLY recommend it. I've got three of these tanks and one of them leaks. It's maddening. And if you look at the reviews online, I'm not the only one with a Bookshelf that developed this issue.
You know, I remember reading about this a while ago. I had the tank filled with water for quite a while to see if there were any leaks (and they're weren't at the time). How long did it take for this to happen to you? And do you know where the leak spot was?
Old 02-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #12
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

Never did find where it was leaking from. Leak developed about 6 weeks after I filled it. The second one has never leaked (knock on wood) and I prophylactically sealed the third one before filling it.

Love the tree, BTW.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #13
WaterLogged
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

Your tank is looking fantastic!!! I will be watching this develop for sure! I am excited to see where you go with this! Good luck with your tree, the wood you chose looks perfect!
WaterLogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #14
poppyseed
Planted Member

I got my plants in today!

The baby tears looked nice and green but the hairgrass was a little brown looking and arrived in some hard to distinguish lumps. I don't have any experience with either of these plants, so I'm hoping they are planted correctly.

Please ignore how grimy the tank looks, I think it's a mixture of evaporation lines, sprayed water, plastic wrap and some unavoidable scratches on the acrylic.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #15
gBOYsc2
Algae Grower

Great start. I think this tank will look amazing once matured. If you break your HC into many many small peices and spread it out a lot it will fill in much much faster. If you have the patience and time I would even recommend planting 1 stem at a time. It will take a few hours but it will spread 100x faster. Just make sure each peice you plant has a little bit of root and it will take off in no time.