Vienna Aquarium & Pets in Northern VA
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Virginia

Old 01-22-2006, 06:00 AM   #1
endparenthesis
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Vienna Aquarium & Pets in Northern VA

This place is pretty impressive... tanks and plumbing sprawled out all over the place. They have a ton of stuff for salt water folks... not so much for the planted aquarium, but certainly more than the average fish store.

Make sure you go into the very back room where all the koi are. There's something surreal about walking through a gauntlet of koi/goldfish bins and having hundreds of fish swarming toward you thinking you're the feeder. Expect to get splashed.

303C Mill St. NE
Vienna, VA 22180
(703) 242-0553
endparenthesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Roan Art
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pros:
best FW fish selection in NoVA
decent SW fish selection
carries a few "hard to find" FW species
Koi tanks are cool
pretty decent prices on tanks
large shop
large tank display in side room off koi "garage"

Cons:
very unfriendly staff and owners
not as knowledgable as they could be

Summary: Great place for adults. Leave the kids at home. If they even lean over the koi vats, which are not roped off and there are no signs asking people to stay away, your kids will get yelled at and rather rudely.

Just my 2 cents
Roan
75g Boeseman's (Melanotaenia boesemani), Goo obo Gudgeon (Allomogurnda nesolepis)
75g Lake Kurumoi/Flame (Melanotaenia parva), Crimson-Spotted (Melanotaenia duboulayi)
75g (TBA)

Others, Planted and Non-Planted
10g Temp., GSP
20g Temp., Red Cap Oranda
65g Silver Dollars, Rasboras, Rummy Nose Tetras

Many other tanks and fish too numerous to mention
Roan Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
edrock200
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I've been going here for a while with no problems. I find the selection of items (not plants) is great, but the prices are really jacked up....but if you need something immediately (including plumbing) they've got a good selection. The last poster had a much different experience from me. One guy that I normally talk to seems to know his stuff (at least on reef tanks) and is always helpful. I take my 3 year old son and he's always looking into the koi tanks, and everything else for that matter, and has never been yelled at. I guess YMMV. Either way, if you need something in a hurry I would recommend this store, but prices are like 200-300% higher than online and about 50-100% higher than most other B&M's.
edrock200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #4
NicoBlahs
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Edrock summed it up nicely. I would only go back there if there was a fish emergency, and I needed something desperately. Although the selection is better than most places I refuse to give them my business because the staff was extremely rude, aside from one gentleman who helped me in fish once. . . , and their prices seemed were so inflated. Its a shame they are so close to my home.

Although their selection isnt as big as Vienna Pets, the people at Fox Mill Pets are eager to please. If they dont have what you want, and you cant find it online, they offer to order it for you and it should be there in a couple of days.

~Nic
NicoBlahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
edrock200
Planted Member

One additional note, I went to the store again this last weekend with my son and the store WREAKED of smoke...I mean like someone had smoked a pack in there...I was very disapointed.
edrock200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
caymandiver75
Planted Member

Have you guys ever visited Congressional aquarium in Rockville? That place is very impressive with tons of everything. Salt water, fresh water, plants, equipment, etc. Also there is a place called Scales tropical fish a few miles north of the beltway off exit Colesville road. They are new and HUGE! and their fish are all in very good condition and they also do custom work like making their own driftwood etc.
55 Gal, Fluval 305, GE 9325K CF 55x2 (7hrs/day), Coralife T5 56 watts (used in conjunction with the GE 9325's 2hrs/day.), Eco-Complete substrate, EI Dosing, Flourish Excel, 200 watt heater, Pressurized CO2 with Rhinox 2000 diffuser, Coralife Turbo Twist 3X - 9 Watt U.V. Sterilizer on 24/7.
caymandiver75 is offline   Reply With Quote