Need Fish/Shrimp Advice for Fluval Edge
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
bradlgt21
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Need Fish/Shrimp Advice for Fluval Edge

I have a fluval edge, the 6" version. I swapped the Halogens for LED's and have a really nice planted setup, I love the plants in it I just can't figure out the fish. I keep getting Micro Fish like Rasboras but they keep jumping out the little top. I am down to 1 left and after restocking multiple times I am done with the microfish route. Dwarf shrimp I also keep failing on, about once every six months I get a dozen cherry shrimp, I never see them breeding and before I know it I have 2-3 left. I don't know what it is with small inhabitants and this tank. I even put Cuprisorb I think it is called in the filter, which filters out any copper in the water and I switched from Tahitian moon sand to Fluval Shrimp Stratum.

So does anyone have any other suggestions on fish or inverts? I was thinking a Betta but I really don't like the idea of keeping one in a sealed top tank, the only opening is a small one with the filter flowing in it, while the betta can probably survive in it the setup is far from ideal in my opinion for a labrynth fish.

Larger inhabitants are doing well I have 3 green lace shrimp in it and they do great but they just sit in the java fern and filter all day you never see them.

Tank has been setup for years, I keep it at 77F and chemistry is 0-0-5 or less with only shrimp and planted it is crazy low in nitrates. Water is 7.8-8.0 ph and pretty hard as my town is on well water.
bradlgt21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (438/100%)

We'll need specific parameters for GH and KH in order to get a better feel for what's going on.

How are you fertilizing?

77 is on the high temperature end for most dwarf shrimp - so keep that in mind.

Also remember that in such a small tank, your fish could easily be stressing shrimp out.
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
bradlgt21
Planted Member

Well off of memory since I am not at home it was like 30 drops to get the GH to change color and KH was somewhere around 12 drops. That was with a API kit.

There is only 1 micro Rasbora left.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

You'll want to test again. Make sure you shake each bottle really well and measure as accurately as you can.

If you get the same results, you definitely have hard water.

If you really have a GH of 30 and a KH of 12, you'll want to start mixing some distilled or RO/DI with your tap water to cut things down. Boraras are fairly hardy but that's way too hard for them, in my opinion. Definitely too hard for most shrimp.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
bradlgt21
Planted Member

What hardness levels should I strive for? Maybe this is why the shrimp won't breed. They used to breed when I lived in a town that had lake michigan water but the last 2 places I have had trouble. I blamed it on the fluval edge and never thought it could be the well water, but both those towns were well water towns.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
bradlgt21
Planted Member

ok so I looked it up and it says cherry can handle 5-15dkh. If my test was accurate at 30dkh that would make sense. I am going to pick up some bottles of RO on the way home today and first test my test kit to make sure it is working correctly. Then start doing gallon water changes about once a week to get the water down to the right range, then figure out what tap to ro ratio is correct to maintain it.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
bradlgt21
Planted Member

I just tested with distilled water to test my kits. Ph and kh tested correct but gh even with 10 drops still looked yellow with distilled which should be green at 1. The kit is old so my gh I can throw out. My results are ph 8.2 and kh 7 with the tank water. I have fluval shrimp stratum which is supposed to remove some hardness which must work because my tap was ph 7.8 and kh 11. The distilled proved accuracy by giving me 7.0 ph and at one drop kh turned yellow with not a single hint of blue after the drop went In so pretty much that means 0.

So now that I bought 3 gallons of distilled a I guess this means I don't have a chemistry problem. Why else arent they healthy?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

If your GH kit is giving you crazy readings like that, it's entirely possible your KH reading is inaccurate. Your best bet at this point is to get a fresh KH and GH kit and test again.

Until both of those parameters are known, it's tough to hazard a guess that would be helpful to you.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
bradlgt21
Planted Member

On my way home from work I picked up a new kh and gh test kit. Results with the new kit are kh 17 and gh 26 from the tap. The water in the fluval edge is kh 9 gh 19. So even in the edge with the fluval shrimp stratum the water is to hard. I replaced a gallon of water with ro and it dropped the tank to kh 8 and gh 16. I plan on doing another 1 gallon of ro later today hoping to drop the gh to like 13. Hopefully this really is the problem and they start breeding again.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

You can't drop parameters that quickly - do it slowly with small water changes every day.

If you want to do it all in one day, this could work: put some water from the tank into a container, leaving enough room in the container to add 4-5 times the volume of water you add initially. Then move your livestock into that container of water.

Once that's done, swap out as much water as you need to get the parameters you desire.

Then start a drip line with airline tubing (tie a knot in it so you can control the speed of drips) from the tank with new water to the container with old water. Slowly, over an hour or two, quadruple the volume of water in the container with your critters. Once they're acclimated, you should be able to transfer them to your tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.