pH Drop Concern
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
AfricanCichlids
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

pH Drop Concern

Due to financial issues, I will not be able to immediately set up my tank right from the start with live plants, fertilizers, C02, etc. So for the time being I'm just adding 6 neon tetras to my 20 long, and then overtime I'll buy all of the supplies needed until I'll be able to fully convert to a planted tank. The issue I am having is C02 drops pH. So when I take the neon tetras out of the tank to fully remodel it and hook up the C02 and everything else, overtime the C02 in the water will make the pH drop. So what should I do? How do I transfer the neon's safely to the thank without them getting killed by a huge pH drop? I'm stumped..

One option that I was considering is just putting them straight into the tank the second I hook up the C02, and hopefully the pH will drop at a slow enough rate to not stress them out.. Would that work?

Any suggestions for other methods to go about this are welcome.
AfricanCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #2
fishwater
Planted Member

Well, not sure why you would want to run CO2 if you dont have plants yet, but provided the new tank is cycled, move the neons into the new tank before you start the CO2. That way the fish will be in the tank when you start gassing it and won't be experiencing a huge drop in PH. Besides, the drops in PH due to CO2 typically aren't as harmful to fish as is the lack of O2.
Eheim Pimp #533
46g

Last edited by fishwater; 02-24-2013 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: spelling...gah (besisdes..lol)
fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
AfricanCichlids
Algae Grower

I said that I will be getting the plants after the fish have already been in the tank. So i'd be adding C02 after they've been in the tank for a while, so i was worried that the change in pH after being so used to the current one would kill them.

But thank you.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
fishwater
Planted Member

Aha, I see now after reading you original post again....yeah your fish should be fine from the CO2 induced drop.
Eheim Pimp #533
46g
fishwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
AfricanCichlids
Algae Grower

Awesome. Thanks a lot