Aquascape my 20 gallon tall
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Aquascape my 20 gallon tall

Hi all I am working in rescaping my 20 gallon I'm switching substrates from gravel to Eco complete i have cholla wood with moss around it but I'm taking the moss off of it because it doesn't do me justice

Here is my tank currently I'm open to all ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECKSPEED View Post
Hi all I am working in rescaping my 20 gallon I'm switching substrates from gravel to Eco complete i have cholla wood with moss around it but I'm taking the moss off of it because it doesn't do me justice

Did you have this in another thread or another forum?

Can you remove your fish while you redo your tank or not? If you can it will be so much easier and better for your fish too.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:

Hi TECKSPEED,

Aquascaping is a matter of personal taste and style, sort of like the clothes I put on or the furniture I like to see in my favorite room.

What I did was go to the AGA (Aquatic Gardeners Assn) website and check out some of the aquascapes there and picked the ones that appealed to me. Then I tried to incorporate some of those principles in my 'scapes like the 'Golden Ratio' and 'Rule of Thirds'. Here is a 'scape I did with my 20 high 3 days ago, hopefully it fills in well.

20g high; STS substrate; no CO2; Flourish Comprehensive & Flourish Excel (set-up 3/2/13)

|

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #4
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Aquascape my 20 gallon tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi TECKSPEED,

Aquascaping is a matter of personal taste and style, sort of like the clothes I put on or the furniture I like to see in my favorite room.

What I did was go to the AGA (Aquatic Gardeners Assn) website and check out some of the aquascapes there and picked the ones that appealed to me. Then I tried to incorporate some of those principles in my 'scapes like the 'Golden Ratio' and 'Rule of Thirds'. Here is a 'scape I did with my 20 high 3 days ago, hopefully it fills in well.

20g high; STS substrate; no CO2; Flourish Comprehensive & Flourish Excel (set-up 3/2/13)

|
I'm converting from gravel to Eco complete and I have cholla wood and don't know what to do with that to incorporate it into my scape, how deep should i have the substrate?

Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I'm converting from gravel to Eco complete and I have cholla wood and don't know what to do with that to incorporate it into my scape, how deep should i have the substrate?
Hi TECKSPEED,

I am not familiar with cholla wood but the Malaysian driftwood in the picture is only about 1/2" into the substrate.

Old 03-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default Aquascape my 20 gallon tall

Quote:
Hi TECKSPEED,

I am not familiar with cholla wood but the Malaysian driftwood in the picture is only about 1/2" into the substrate.
The cholla wood is wrapped in java moss how would you position it in an aqua scape what do you suggest

Old 03-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi TECKSPEED,

If we want to aquascape then we need to learn some of principles of design. Google 'Golden Ratio' and 'Rule of Thirds' and read up on what principles we can apply to our 'scapes to improve their look and balance.

Maybe the cholla wood fits in what you want your tank to look like, maybe it doesn't. It's your call not mine.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 03-05-2013 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: ..
Old 03-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
TECKSPEED
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi TECKSPEED,

If we want to aquascape then we need to learn some of principles of design. Google 'Golden Ratio' and 'Rule of Thirds' and read up one what principles we can apply to our 'scapes to improve their look and balance.

Maybe the cholla wood fits in what you want your tank to look like, maybe it doesn't. It's your call not mine.

Thanks i will look those up in google!
TECKSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #9
Farmer
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Thanks i will look those up in google!
Yes. That's good advice. That's what I did as well as looking at heaps of other tanks and finding out what I like.

I suggest you find some rocks you like. I say this because I think your chola wood is a little small and.... uninteresting. Certainly on it's own. You can still most likely use it. But I'm sure you can find something interesting to put in your tank.

Linds
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote