New B. Aubertii question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-19-2006, 04:16 AM   #1
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Question

New B. Aubertii question

I've only had this plant a week so its adapting to a new environ. The leaf spikes that are still around have turned a salmon pink on the tips (which is very pleasant to look at). Many are melting so to speak. Would I be advised to just trim all the top and let it regenerate a whole new top, or just sit tight and let nature do its thing? I haven't really seen any new growth yet, save for a few flower spikes that probably were developing when it was out of water... Thanks for any help. I have never grown any Blyxa species.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2006, 04:50 AM   #2
observant_imp
changing to CherylH

PTrader: (11/100%)

You're going to love this plant. I just leave mine alone--it will drop any leaves it doesn't want on its own. Mine is sometimes green and sometimes salmon. I imagine the color varies with what's in my water (gh, kh, co2, and ferts). I have sloppy habits and this plant always looks great.

My tanks
observant_imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:41 PM   #3
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks Cheryl. Thats good to know. I was reading that B. japonica likes really soft water. So I'm guessing the aubertii does as well. My GH creeped upto 8 on the last test, so I yanked out some crushed coral, and after a water change I'm back to 6. I'm going to do another water change in a few days and get it down to 4 or 5 GH, so hopefully that will help. I'm also getting my NO3 down at the same time which might help color up some E. stellata.

And I really like this plant too! The salmon pink colored tips next to green is too cool.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Old 01-20-2006, 02:14 AM   #4
Bert H
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
I was reading that B. japonica likes really soft water.
Idon't know where you read this, but I can assure you it's not true. I have lots of happy, healthy japonica with kh of 10 and gh of 12. I have also grown albertii with no problems.
Filstar pimp #19
Bert H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:22 AM   #5
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Would I be advised to just trim all the top and let it regenerate a whole new top, or just sit tight and let nature do its thing?
Bob,
You need to trim B aubertii like you would a rosette plant, by peeling the damaged leaf off at its base. If you trimmed off the leaf tips the cut edge would just brown and the whole leaf will slowly melt away.

The fact that I've been able to keep the aubertii that Bert sent me a long while ago is proof that it doesn't need soft water. My KH/GH is 12/16 and can get as high as 16/22 during the summer.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:59 AM   #6
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert H
Idon't know where you read this, but I can assure you it's not true. I have lots of happy, healthy japonica with kh of 10 and gh of 12. I have also grown albertii with no problems.

Thanks Bert. I read that in of Peter Hiscock's "Encyclopedia of Aquarium Plants". Good to know it can take harder water as mine can certainly creep up since I use crushed coral to replenish the KH. It seems that most plants adapt well to different water.

And Bill, that's good to know on the trimming tip. I did trim some mid leaf and yes, they melted away. Thanks again! BTW, the Marselia is doing great.And I am really glad I saw the B. aubertii in your tank. I really like this plant!