Whats your favorite fish?!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Mattymo92
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Whats your favorite fish?!

Today I was just thinking to myself about which fish Ive enjoyed the most and it occurred to me that it wasn't necessarily the most beautiful fish but instead the fish with the most personality and interesting behavior! (Not to say that beauty and interesting behavior are mutually exclusive though)

So, What fish have you enjoyed keeping the most? Which were most interesting? which had the best personality?

In my experience, Ive always found that in freshwater cichlids have always had the best personality and interesting behaviors. Both African and South American. And in saltwater, I can say without hesitation the porcupine puffer is my favorite! Its like a dog stuck in a fishes body! Mine used to follow me up and down the tank and when hungry would try to get my attention by spitting water out of the tank at me! (if youve never seen this before its definitely worth a google video search or youtube search)

Can't wait to read about all of your experiences!

- Matt M.
Mattymo92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
babydragons
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

My favorite fish was an impulse buy. He was a baby flag fish. I thought he was so cute ans he was really active for less than 2 inches. I asked the ppl at petland if he was peaceful and of course they said yes. He was great and always really responsive when I was near the tank. It wasn't until later that I found put he was a ciclid and that's why all my other peaceful community fish died. This all happened before I really got into keeping a tank
babydragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

i love my peacock gudgeon fry, i guess they are juvies now. they eat right out of my hand, they always seem so happy.

and my gardneri killi (steel blue) he is super fun to watch paddle around, and has given me both a baby steel blue killifish, and cross of steel blue and striped panchax babies.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
ADJAquariums
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I really like my Panda Garras, they hang out in the weirdest of spots and positions and are so funny to watch play with each other and swim about the tank, i love Panda Cory's as well, so beautiful and fun to watch swim around and sit together in a school. they are also hilarious during feeding time.

Then I saw it. I saw a mom who would die for her son. A man who would kill for his wife. A boy, angry and alone. Laid out in front of him, the bad path. I saw it. And the path was a circle. Round and round. So I changed it.
-Joe (Looper 2012)
ADJAquariums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Microsynodontis sp. niger

My favorite fish of all time.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Barbgirl
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Just got a Honey Gourami and so far he's my favorite! He has tons of personalty and some serious attitude. Definitely holds his own against the !@#$% silver tipped tertras that torture everyone haha.

In a very close 2nd has to be tiger barbs, I know they can be little devils but tons of fun to watch and very brave
Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
LB79
Wannabe Guru

#1. Keyhole cichlid Cleithracara maronii. Humble and beautiful in its own quiet way. To see its real beauty, you have to have a breeding pair with fry.

#2. Buffalohead cichlid Steatocranus casuarius. These are the bulldogs of the cichlid family. Chill and passive unless riled up (which happens fairly easily). They also have verying personalities, and each one is a little different than the rest.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
Fishmommy
Planted Member

Default Whats your favorite fish?!

My favorites used to be my chocolate gouramis, but I am now pretty stoked about my blue eye forktails

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Fishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
seafarer55

German blue ram very awesome fish!
seafarer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
shift
Wannabe Guru

Lately i have been obsessed with CPD's.

Pic i took the other night
10G - CRS/CBS
10G - Red Rilli's
10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Chocolate gourami by far. Beautiful fish and has an air of grace to it that can't be matched.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #12
dastowers
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ottos, they work hard for their meals and contribute in a visual way keeping the planted tanks clean.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #13
marko d
Algae Grower

Havent kept a whole lot of fish, but as of now it's the blue rams. I was really into dwarf honey gouramis but after losing 2 of them and replacing them with a m/f pair of GBR, the rams are everything the honeys were + sweeter colors. I did love that sunset honey tho, RIP!

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android
marko d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #14
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Peacock Gudgeon but starting to really like cories and plecos.

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic Delight View Post
i love my peacock gudgeon fry, i guess they are juvies now. they eat right out of my hand, they always seem so happy.

and my gardneri killi (steel blue) he is super fun to watch paddle around, and has given me both a baby steel blue killifish, and cross of steel blue and striped panchax babies.
I am so jealous of your gudgeons! I have 2 juveniles, and I love them. They're completely unafraid of rams and flag fish, and come right up to the front of the tank to say hi to me whenever I'm around. These little critters are beautiful and I hope to someday have a brood to raise too.

AD, you have fry so I bet you can tell me this definitively. At what point in their size/age/development can you determine their sex? Mine are around 1.5"-2" now and I think I'm just beginning to see the cephalic hump on one. His head is definitely more humplike than the other, which is narrower and looks to me like a female. Trouble is, they're almost identically colored and based on what I've read, they shouldn't be. And iirc, the males have red eyes. Both of mine are black eyed.

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers (you lucky dog!)
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
behavior, experience, favorite, fish, fun