FASCINATING egg development:) Update 3/3 Post #79!!!! - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #31
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

The idea is fantastic, but many breeders use egg tumblers. I believe its to equalize water movement around the egg. Maybe the area of contact with the sponge is the area of staleness. Perhaps a more tumbleresque design would work better?
Bananariot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #32
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Is there any reason I couldn't put the eggs within the airspout (for lack of a better term) on top of the sponge filter? Because the spout sticks out of the water so it's not like they'd float away. Of course, might be a rude awakening when they hatch...of course IF they hatch. Cause if someone thinks that's a good idea I can move a cluster of eggs to that spout. Had another egg turned orange I had to remove
ravensgate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #33
MABJ
Invert Warrior

PTrader: (12/100%)
Default FASCINATING egg development:)

I'd say stick an egg there it you think it might be worth it.

New to shrimp? Need help? Check out these threads:
|Essential tools to buy|List of inverts|Sage advice|

Mark A Belcher Junior, a proud member of the DBP Club.
MABJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #34
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Is there any reason I couldn't put the eggs within the airspout (for lack of a better term) on top of the sponge filter? Because the spout sticks out of the water so it's not like they'd float away. Of course, might be a rude awakening when they hatch...of course IF they hatch. Cause if someone thinks that's a good idea I can move a cluster of eggs to that spout. Had another egg turned orange I had to remove
I would be concerned about the eggs sticking to the side of the plastic because the bubbles may push it out of the water and stick it to the side.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 PM   #35
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Well then I'll just leave them as they are. I'm sure this won't be my last opportunity to try all the different methods. Unfortunately.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 PM   #36
Bananariot
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensgate View Post
Well then I'll just leave them as they are. I'm sure this won't be my last opportunity to try all the different methods. Unfortunately.
Yeah I made an egg tumbler....but the netting on the bottom was too big and snails and other shrimp were able to suck out the eggs from the other side :\
Old 02-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #37
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

I just noticed aren't sponge filter is the dirtiest place in the tank? So maybe the eggs are trapped by all kind of stuff in the tank.
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #38
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
I just noticed aren't sponge filter is the dirtiest place in the tank? So maybe the eggs are trapped by all kind of stuff in the tank.

This is a sterile tank, NOTHING is in it, the sponge is a 'virgin' sponge and has never been used and the water is straight remineralized RO water. So to answer your question, in this situation no
Old 02-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #39
MABJ
Invert Warrior

On a side note, just like Pasture's experiments way back when, bacteria and life is everywhere. So the tank technically isn't sterile. Hence the fungus that grew on that poor eggie :/.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 AM   #40
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

True, true...but it never looked like fungus (not that I'm used to seeing). The egg started changing shape before I saw anything on the outer side happening. Doesn't mean it wasn't fungus, just worth noting
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #41
jshoker
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Please keep us updated...we're rooting for Eggy!!!
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #42
MABJ
Invert Warrior

Ah true. Fungus wasn't the right word. It looked like some type of organism that feeds off dead things, I doubt it was appendages of any sort ;(

Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 AM   #43
HiepSTA
Planted Tank Obsessed

i didnt read through the whole thread but this "splitting" is not normal and i think the egg/shrimp is dead.
the egg stays the same size the whole time.

in the coming weeks i will be photographing CRS eggs under a microscope as they are developing, ive done this before last semester without photo-documentation, just observing. this time i will photograph and take videos for everyone to enjoy, you can see many details such as individual pigments (red pigments and white pigments in the CRS), legs, tail, organs, and cell-like structures inside the egg. you can even see its heart beating.

head up for an exciting thread coming soon!
Old 02-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #44
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Can't wait!
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #45
ravensgate
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiepSTA View Post
i didnt read through the whole thread but this "splitting" is not normal and i think the egg/shrimp is dead.
the egg stays the same size the whole time.
Yeppers, and that's another reason I wanted to photograph it. Either it was going to go to the good side or to the bad side and it seems once the split develops that signifies the death of the egg. But the interesting thing is, as they die I try to separate them out and remove them. Well, they have tails and legs and antennae, just the front half is still 'egg shaped' so I'm wondering if it's the outer 'shell' of the egg (for lack of a better word) that is dying. I'm losing them left and right now but only the eggs that were in clusters I couldn't separate. So fungus or microorganism or whatever it is, seems to attack all eggs in the cluster (like a fungus but doesn't appear to be fungus). In hindsight I possibly could have been better off if I would have separated them into individuals but it's more than slightly difficult without damaging the egg...at least for me it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiepSTA View Post

in the coming weeks i will be photographing CRS eggs under a microscope as they are developing, ive done this before last semester without photo-documentation, just observing. this time i will photograph and take videos for everyone to enjoy, you can see many details such as individual pigments (red pigments and white pigments in the CRS), legs, tail, organs, and cell-like structures inside the egg. you can even see its heart beating.

head up for an exciting thread coming soon!
Would love to see this and also know how you are getting them to hatch in the first place

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.