Where are all the fish people at?!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > North Carolina

Old 02-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #1
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)

Where are all the fish people at?!

NC has got to be about the worst state LFS-wise...there's next to nothing and hardly anyone keeping any tanks up around here! We should all open a multi-owner LFS to cater to and promote planted tanks!
I can dream, right?

We should at least get our sub-forum a little more active!
SouthernCichlids is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernCichlids View Post
NC has got to be about the worst state LFS-wise...there's next to nothing and hardly anyone keeping any tanks up around here! We should all open a multi-owner LFS to cater to and promote planted tanks!
I can dream, right?

I need to drive 90+ miles to a real fish store.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #3
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven p View Post
I need to drive 90+ miles to a real fish store.
I've got an 89.3 mile drive to one tomorrow haha
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
ceech1
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am lucky here in Norway. My local pet stores are close and 3 always have high quality fish and are always able to order wild catch or f1 grade as long as you are will to pay.
ceech1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
Amy9
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to Amy9

Quote:
I can dream, right?

+1 on that!! So frustrating having to drive so far and not having anyone else around that keeps tanks.
Amy9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
junglefowl
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (46/100%)
Default Where are all the fish people at?!

I have been selling lot of packages of plants online, and also buy all my plants online as well
junglefowl is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Well, there's a handful of generic pet shops around here in Greensboro, most of which have a handful of simple plants. But the nearest aquarium store isn't too far ...maybe a 25-minute drive west. Then there's Raleigh, about 75 minutes east. And Charlotte, 2 1/2 hours south.

There used to be a really nice, big place here in town - Aquamain's - but it went under a few years back.

I've found the Sales forum to be the easiest source for anything specific. Every once in awhile, I'll want a "neat" fish and head over to Kernersville to see what they have. Not a huge selection, but usually a few semi-exotics.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglefowl View Post
I have been selling lot of packages of plants online, and also buy all my plants online as well
That's what I've been doing but sometimes it's nice to walk into a store, stare, and get ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Well, there's a handful of generic pet shops around here in Greensboro, most of which have a handful of simple plants. But the nearest aquarium store isn't too far ...maybe a 25-minute drive west. Then there's Raleigh, about 75 minutes east. And Charlotte, 2 1/2 hours south.

There used to be a really nice, big place here in town - Aquamain's - but it went under a few years back.

I've found the Sales forum to be the easiest source for anything specific. Every once in awhile, I'll want a "neat" fish and head over to Kernersville to see what they have. Not a huge selection, but usually a few semi-exotics.
I'm in Greensboro as well, I go out to Kernersville for most of my fish but I sure miss Aquamains. You could find just about anything there even though their prices were a little steep sometimes.

Raleigh and Charlotte are just too far of a drive, especially with the way our gas prices are looking now.

SNS and Aquabid have definitely been the first place I look for stuff lately
Old 03-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
marcnc
Planted Member

Local places around raleigh are not bad for fish selection, but plant selection is not good at all.

Mostly I just order plants online.
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
marcnc
Planted Member

Quote:
That's what I've been doing but sometimes it's nice to walk into a store, stare, and get ideas.

I'm in Greensboro as well, I go out to Kernersville for most of my fish but I sure miss Aquamains. You could find just about anything there even though their prices were a little steep sometimes.

Raleigh and Charlotte are just too far of a drive, especially with the way our gas prices are looking now.

SNS and Aquabid have definitely been the first place I look for stuff lately
What stores are in Kernersville? I have to go visit some family in a few weeks that way, maybe I will stop and check out LFS. Do they have much of plant selection as I will be needing plants for my new 90.
marcnc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #11
SouthernCichlids
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcnc View Post
What stores are in Kernersville? I have to go visit some family in a few weeks that way, maybe I will stop and check out LFS. Do they have much of plant selection as I will be needing plants for my new 90.
Aquarium Center of NC (They have a facebook that they update regularly)
They hardly carry any plants other than some common stuff, but they have some nice semi-exotic fish and can special order almost anything. Great saltwater selection, african cichlid selection and display tanks, definitely worth checking out while you're around!
Old 03-03-2013, 06:51 AM   #12
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

My AC bill in Lake Norman was huge. When it's 99f every day from March to November I wonder how many people actually keep aquariums in NC. I had reef tanks when I lived there and it was *expensive* to keep them. $500 AC bills? YA!
I never found a local place (Charlotte's 20 minutes south of where I lived) so I hooked up with a guy in Orange County Ca. who did me right, but shipping was killer.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
ngpbeaver

Check out Fish Fish Fish in Plymouth, NC
ngpbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #14
Jett
Algae Grower

Default Where are all the fish people at?!

There is a place in Shelby, NC where I am from called Fins and Critters. They had a decent selection of fresh and salt water fish. They also carried plants the last time I checked a few months ago, but I never looked closely at them since I had a plain aquarium. Next time I'm home I'm going to see what they have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 01:53 AM   #15
Kenfz6
Algae Grower

I attend Aquarium Outfitters in Wake Forest (just north of Raleigh). Nice assortment of fish, same old story on plants. Running low tech, Kurt usually has enough for me. That being said, I have gotten some nice mosses here.

He has had some terrible reviews in the past, but has gotten some new staff. I enjoy hanging out there unless they are busy, then staffing issues seem to show up. However my wife and I like that store better than the chain stores here.

I have found having TPT on the Iphone handy if I am ready to purchase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.