Fountain Help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 09-26-2003, 11:04 PM   #1
Spar
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I have a 110 gallon paludarium that is 45% full of water (~50 gallons). I have been looking into getting a bell-shaped koi fountain for the water area. I plan on hooking it up to my Fluval 304 (260gph). Has anyone had any luck with a similar idea to this? Even if I have to switch away from bell-shaped I'd still be happy. The only pre-req's are that it not have more than a total diameter of 1.5 feet (18 inches) wide from where the water falls. Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Cliff
100g - Planted Tank (mainly Swords)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/cbporter52/
Spar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #2
Zurp
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Are you saying that you want to put a cement lawn ornament inside your tank?
Zurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 12:09 PM   #3
Zurp
Planted Member

speaking of cement, have you tried looking at a small cement mixing tray? The are about 6in. - 8in. deep, and about 16in. wide by 24in. long. They are even smaller if you cut off the rounded lip around the edge.

Just throw a plexiglass section over 1/4 of the pond where the land is, and build the land on top of that if you need more land.

My vivarium has a Dish-Pan basin with the rim cut off, and rocks forming the new rim. The rocks overhang by quite a bit, to provide shelter for the fish and my tiger salamander when he is in the water. The Dish-Pan basin is a rectangular shape, with rounded corners, about 3in. deep. Only cost me about $2.00... and I think the small cement mixing basins only cost about $5.00...

Still doesn't sound good, try an "Under the bed" container, or a cheap dorm-room trash can... all about $2 - $7, and cut them down to size with a razor.

Decorate them with Flexible Fish-Tank caulking and a layer of sand or stone for a real natural look. (No painting, that will poison the creatures)
Old 10-04-2003, 05:55 PM   #4
Zurp
Planted Member

This is the basin concept, not sure if this is what you are after. Coat the inside with a thin layer of fish-tank caulk, and then sprinkle and press play-ground sand into the caulking. This should give you a semi-natural looking pond, except for its rectangular shape.