55g Plant options.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 02-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

55g Plant options.

I've been put in charge of taking care of a 55 gallon tank at my girlfriends work. She works at a pre-school and they keep killing their fish.

I've told them I would take over cleaning it and such and suggesting fish options that are more hardy.

I haven't had a low light take in a while and I was wondering if I could add some plants in it. Just has the stock florescent lighting so I'm sure its minimal.

I wouldn't be able to do any fert dosing or co2 since I would only see the tank 1 time a week and these people are pretty clueless.

I currently have water wisteria and anacharis that I could give them clippings of possibly keep them floating or something. Would these live? I've seen some stores carrying water lettuce as well if something like that would do well.

The tank is pretty barren right now just regular gravel and a few fake plants. If I can talk them into it might get a piece of driftwood or add some rocks/pots. (add java moss too if it would grow).

Any help would be awesome thanks!
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
blue1delta
Planted Member

java moss would grow. I have a low tech 55 gallon I have needle, narrow, trident java fern, amazon sword, crypts, java moss and dwarf sag that are all growing in the stock light housing with t8 bulbs
blue1delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
lochaber
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Low tech is probably the way to go, less stuff to go wrong.

Is the tank used in any sort of instructional manner, or is it mostly decorative and something for the kids to stare at?

I've had pretty good luck with aponogetons in the past, and one of the neat things about them is how they will eventually throw up an emergent flower spike. Just thinking a plant that will noticeably grow or something like that might be interesting for the kids.

Not sure about the fish options, I'd probably be prone to throwing a bunch of feeder guppies and snails in there.
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
BBradbury
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Your 55 G Tank

Hello latch...

Good for you for helping out! Low light tanks take minimal work if you stick to the right plants. You can easily create a nice looking tank by floating Anacharis (Waterweed) and Pennywort.

I have quite a bit of Anubias nana covering the bottom of my low tech, low light 55 Gs. You can attach the plant to lava rock or to weighed pieces of driftwood. I use local driftwood and rocks I find along river and pond beds.

If you get a little creative, float the driftwood and attach the Anubias plants to it. I use long strands of sewing thread that match the color of the wood.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #5
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochaber View Post
Low tech is probably the way to go, less stuff to go wrong.

Is the tank used in any sort of instructional manner, or is it mostly decorative and something for the kids to stare at?

I've had pretty good luck with aponogetons in the past, and one of the neat things about them is how they will eventually throw up an emergent flower spike. Just thinking a plant that will noticeably grow or something like that might be interesting for the kids.

Not sure about the fish options, I'd probably be prone to throwing a bunch of feeder guppies and snails in there.
They just said they wanted the fish to be fisible, don't think they are using it as instructional or anything. I was also thinking about the snail idea, the water here is pretty hard 12kh 12gh, so that should work out. I'll try out some of the plants everyone suggested, I forgot about anubias.

Also, should I suggest they replace the bulb, I'm sure its the original one and never been replaced. Or would that not matter much since its so low light?
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote