Tiger Lotus growth rate - almost annoying
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
Spar
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Tiger Lotus growth rate - almost annoying

Seems hard to believe, but I have Tiger Lotus stems that are growing at more than 6" a day. Even over night I can tell that there is a final 3" stretch.

my tank is 30" tall, so plenty of room to grow up-ward. but, what is happening is that the lower leaves are not keeping up with the upper leaves. so it is now starting to look sparse because I have to keep cutting off the leaves that make it to the top. On average about 3 per day.

i have heard in the past that the lotus plants will eventually "learn" to stay lower if you continuously cut them down. anyone ever actually witnessed this happening?
100g - Planted Tank (mainly Swords)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v110/cbporter52/
Spar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

My lotus was doing nothing for a long time and then it went into hyper-gro ! I never had this problem when I grew them before.
They can be a strange plant. Just keep clipping the wild running ones and eventually it will slow for you. On my plants now , each leaf it puts out seems to be getting better color and size.

Be patient and stick with it...
Old 01-14-2006, 01:48 PM   #3
medicineman
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman

Ah... I'm quite lucky mine stayed relatively low with nice short stems and dark red wide leaves. What I did is just give some decent high light and cut off the tall ones. Those inside my 25 gal are already 5-6 months right there and they remain quite low (the trend is always growing upwards though). I havent seen them on hyper gro so far. Perhaps the one inside your tank are feeling at home
I'd be glad to have such lotus so long they grow short. One word about those lotus is that never restrict their room of growth, otherwise the leaves will deform (lesson learned) and you will want to remove them later on.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
aquamoon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

the trick to getting low growth with lillies"lotues" is NOT TO LET THE FLOTERS REACH THE TOP ..............ONCE it hits the top it knows that it can..and will.....keep them cut and it will learn to grow more compact(good lighting will help too).........they will try to send floters once its got a good root system going.........
removing the seed pod will help slow down the growth of the mother plant and help the seed pod to germanate(spell check)

Kevin
aquamoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2006, 07:36 AM   #5
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Yeah, when they grow in hyper mode, just torture the sucker. It will stunt eventually with lots of wacking. I moved it from my high light to a lower light tank, and now it has nice small leaves and is growing more slowly. I am probably going to give it away if it goes into hyper mode again. I think red tiger lotus are a hard to kill plant. I once had a fungus on this plant almost a year ago. All the leaves fell off due to a stem rot. Kept it in the substrate, and up it pops 3 or 4 months later, going gang busters round two... Now its in round three and growing more slowly, after wack wack wack.

Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2006, 08:45 PM   #6
AliceH
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am not sure but my tiger lotus has one fully opened blossom now and the second one is coming to the top of the tank as I type. I have always allowed a few floaters to keep my danios away from openings and because I like the look of the tall stem. I do notice that the more often I trim back the floaters the more submersed leaf growth i am getting. It's a really pretty plant now but keeping the floaters in check is a daily chore. I just clip out the older leaves each time a neqw one heads for the surface. I've had it in this tank for 15 months now.
Alice
AliceH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.