What Filter Media Do You Use?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 09-26-2003, 07:59 PM   #1
mattrmiller
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

OK, so I have an AquaClear 150 on my 20 long, and an XP2 on my 29 gallon. In both filters all I have is sponges and bio stars (even in the AC 150). They seem to be doing really well, I was just wondering what other people used in their filters. I know that most do not like carbon on planted tanks, but what about the other filter media that removes ammonia.

The reason I ask is because I think I need to find a finner sponge for my 150, because particles are still making it through. I also have a concern that I should be using something else as well, even though everything is going well.
mattrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2003, 08:08 PM   #2
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

Matt....

I have 2 FILSTAR XP3's on my main tank....100 gallon...using the ceramic media from petsmart in the upper chamber....in the lowest one I have the provided sponge........I clean once per month cuz im OBC as wasser and others would say..but i alternate a couple of days between.....nothing else on filtration for that.....10 gallon and 15 gallon using whisper 200 filters with some spare ceramic from the 100 gallon....works well...

Mike

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 08:31 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I just set up an Aquaclear 200 on a 20g tank and left off the carbon. I put the foam block on the bottom and lava rock on top. I might add another layer of polyfill (quilt batting) to help with fine particles.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

I'm running a Fluval 204. I have the foam pad on the side and ceramic in the bottom 2 baskets. I was running some polyfill in the 3rd basket for a while, but didn't see much benefit so I took it out.

Now I'm running a couple of tablespoons of crushed coral in the third basket to bring up my KH.
DLeDeaux is offline   Reply With Quote