Old Peat Granules?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

PTrader: (0/0%)

Old Peat Granules?

I'm going to be setting up a JBJ Picotope 3 Gallon soon, and I'll be using a bit of 3 year old Eco-Complete, fine particles only, and Black Diamond Blasting Sand, 30/60 grit.
I have some Fluval Peat Granules that I bought a few years back.
Should I/can I add these as a base layer to soften the water some and also absorb some nutrients?
I don't know much about adding peat into the substrate.
Also, are there any other affordable additives that I can put in under the Black Diamond? I don't want to dirt the tank, but would like to have nutrition for my plants. I will be using root tabs and ferts when I can acquire them.
Thanks!
A.D.D.i.c.t. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
jack25
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

All of the stuff I read says to put the peat in a mesh bag or pantyhose and stick it in the filter or in the water. That way you can remove them once your gh and ph levels get to your desire levels. I can see putting peat in your substrate will prevent you from easily removing them if you need to later down the road.
jack25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

That's what I was thinking, and in the past that's what I've done. Though I've read people layering peat moss in the substrate itself, so I'm a bit confused on the subject.
I just want to add anything beneficial I can to the substrate that is affordable.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Peat Gravel is very similar to the Miracle Grow Organic Potting soil
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
blinky2088
Algae Grower

I have used laguna peat granules in the past. These are like compressed peat bits (various sizes and shapes) and mixed them with fluval stratum and a bottom layer of seachem fluorite red. Plants do very well.

Just remember that the Peat granules are light and compared to other substrates you are using may always try to rise to surface of the substrate if you are using heavier substrate mixed with it so might not look good, but should work just fine.

If it immediately floats I find Using warm or boiling water, you may want to use r/o water and let it sit overnight and within about 24 hours all should sink

Everytime I pull up a plant I will find roots growong through the peat granules or strangling the granules afraid to let them go.

I know the fluval peat graules look different and are more rounded and similar sizes so you may not find the same results with roots growing through them, but the plants will do fine.
blinky2088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Peat is sub-fossil plant remains from bogs that is usually at least a few thousand years old, so it should be OK to use peat granules that have been laying around for a while.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
crazydaz
Friggin. Conformist.

PTrader: (67/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to crazydaz

Peat grans are great! I use them in my substrate and in my filter. They don't add nutrients for the plants as much as they improve the conditions for nutrient absorption by the plants. Tannins and humid acids that the peat releases help to soften and slightly lower the pH of the water, and convert available iron into a useable form for the plants.

To me, it's a key additive for my tank.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
A.D.D.i.c.t.
Shrimpin' Ain't Easy

Thanks for all the helpful info, I'll definitely put them to good use.