Salvaging my gorgeous hardscaping
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 02-26-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
sarazorz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Salvaging my gorgeous hardscaping

Hello lovelies!

I have a few questions about salvaging my awesome rocks.

Recently my tank had become infested with the blue-green cyanobacteria, "BGA" whatever you want to call it...and I was able to remedy this and my tank is fine, however my rocks are not. I took them out of the tank and set them aside, a month later remembering that I had just let them sit in a bucket to dry.

Now I have these pretty rocks with a coat of dried BGA on them. My parents, who both hold a PHD in Chemistry, have assured me that it's alright to soak these in bleach water to kill off the scum. After that, I'd just soak them in de-chlor water for a while, to make sure all the chlorine has been removed from the porous rocks.

Seemed legit to me, coming from Chemists. But these aren't zoology chemists, they're big oil/big pharma chemists; both have attitudes like "oh well, if it kills your fish just buy some more fish". These are the same people who also told me "instead of wasting money on a water testing kit, just buy a cheap fish and throw it in there to see if it lives". (You have no idea what it's like having people like this as parents).

Anyway, I digress...this isn't a therapy session! My question: is it alright to bleach these, thoroughly de-chlor them, and reuse them? Or shall I try another method. Perhaps vinegar?

Bonus Question: What type of rocks are these? I was thinking some type of limestone... Not sure though.

Sorry for the long post I've been drinking. Thank you! <3
sarazorz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.