Bucks 56 Gallon Journal - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-08-2003, 11:17 PM   #31
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Dave... check out this link ...
Ludwegia Variety's ...it shows just how diverse the Ludwegia actually is throughout the U.S.
There are many , many varieties of Ludwegia but you may note that the stem growth is common for many. The leaf variations are numerous.
Most of the photos at this site show "emersed" growth making it difficult to say which is which but it is excellent for narrowing down the types you may find by region.

I started this plant from 2 tiny seedlings and what a trip they have led me through.... to much fun. !
This is there humble beginnings from a pond at the golf course, my buddies thought I was nuts throwing a handful in an empty ice bag( from the beer...LOL), then it spent the night in the truck and I planted it the next day... these are the only 2 surviving stems a week after planting. :evil:

The "big stem" is 2" tall here...

Not a bad find if I do say so myself... I like it almost as much as my Val's ! :hehe:

Old 10-14-2003, 02:05 AM   #32
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Well Im gonna kill 2 birds with one stone here....

This is the new look of the tank after me and Marcel redid the aquascape... I really like it too Marcel... thanks again bro Those wild stems have really brightened up just as did the Blyxa again... we gotta figure out what the reasoning is for the color difference between the 2 tanks....

Also the eggs after 30 hours are doing great and I have only lost 4 out of all of them, they turned white on me when the leaf broke the surface of the water by a smidgeon. Next to the tank I set up a little Brine Shrimp hatchery in hopes that the eggs will hatch.

Old 10-14-2003, 02:50 AM   #33
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Ooooh, A brine shrimp hatchery! Whats involved in that?
:mrgreen: I gotta start thinking about hatching some brine shrimp of my own to feed the little fry when they come.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:42 PM   #34
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.lemay
Ooooh, A brine shrimp hatchery! Whats involved in that?
It's extremely difficult... you need a clear plastic bottle, water, (sea) salt, an air pump with air stone. And brine shrimps eggs. They hatch in about 20 hours, depending on the temperature. If you do two alternating bottles, you have a never-ending supply of shrimp babies. The trick is to get them out of the bottle easily. Haven't done that for a while, but I recall they are extremely attracted to light, so you can direct them either to the top or bottom. There are "Brine Shrimp Hatcheries" available in pet stores, if you want to get fancy...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:40 PM   #35
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I used to use a 2l bottle flipped upside down with an ait tube out of the cap with a valve on it. When is came time to collect them, shine a line at the bottom of the bottle for 15 minutes so they all attract to the bottom of the bottle and then flip the valve open and drain shrimp portion into another container.. net those out, rinse 'em off and let your fish have at it.

On a side note, is there a shelf life to the brine shrimp eggs?

Oh yeah.. Buck.. the tank is looking wicked good. Even if the vals are still in there
Vinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 05:15 PM   #36
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Well Guys and Gals...

BAD NEWS :evil:

All future discussion of this tank R.I.P. will be discussed HERE
Old 10-15-2003, 01:13 AM   #37
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

GEEEZEEEEEEEEEEEE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ohh Buck I didnt realize til just now that this was the tank that you and Marcel were working on! Still on pain meds for the knee here. I am really sorry to hear that!

Mike :cry:

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote