Bucks 56 Gallon Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-26-2003, 12:47 PM   #1
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Since I had to break the tank down for the move to my new house, I decided to delete the old journal and start fresh with the photos of the tank as it looks now. No sense in having a bunch of photos of a tank that looks nothing like it did before... :hehe:

Everything is growing great now that the CO2 has been added. I think this tank is gonna be hands off now since adding the latest plants I recieved from Marcel... thanks bud

I added some glosso in the front right corner of the tank, I am hoping it does well since I have never tried growing it before.
Also added a few plants of tennelus and a little Blyxa in front of the Balansae's.
Another plant I have high hopes for is the "native" plant that is in the front right corner. Its a lot like the hygro's in the way it grows but since adding CO2 it has taken on a real nice looking "burnt orange" color to the leaves. Now I just need to identify the plant, any help there would be appreciated.

Also, I guess I do have a female in the trio of Angels... here she is guarding her eggs on the sword leaf right in front of her...

There is no way that plate of caviar is going to make it through the night :cry:

Old 09-26-2003, 12:55 PM   #2
DLeDeaux
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via ICQ to DLeDeaux Send a message via AIM to DLeDeaux Send a message via MSN to DLeDeaux

Looks nice Buck. I love the black substrate.

What is the plant in the lower right corner on the top picture? It looks like a certain plant I have in my tank that I have yet to identify 100%. It grows like gangbusters!
DLeDeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2003, 12:57 PM   #3
Bert
Algae Grower

Tank looks great Buck! Congrats on the angle spawn.

Bert
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2003, 01:25 AM   #4
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Discussion on that plant can be found in this topic... http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/vie...amp;highlight=

Well Bert it was just as I feared... there aint an egg left... :hehe: Dinner was served as soon as the lights went out last night I guess.

But worst then that... somebody ben messin wit muh GLOSSO ! :evil: This could get ugly folks... LOL
Old 09-27-2003, 02:06 AM   #5
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

That glosso is gonna look fantastic once it fills in up front! Who do you suspect is disrupting your glosso? My Clown Loaches can get a bit rowdy in rustling through the glosso in my 55g and tend to uproot freshly planted shoots, but once it is established, the glosso seems to be able to stand its ground.
Sad about the Angel's losing their eggs to those nocturnal carnivores! Every time it happens to my Angels it almost seems like the parents are sad the next morning. They swim round and round the leaf they laid the eggs on and seem to be saying "I'm positive we left them right here before we went to bed and now they're just... gone!"
Old 09-27-2003, 12:08 PM   #6
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

I think I have found all the criminals in my tank...

The glowlight tetra gang had caviar for dinner and believe it or not the male Emperor Tetra is uprooting and nibbling it appears on my glosso. He has marked a small territory in the Lotus leaves just to the left and every now and then he does his perimeter check and gets attracted to it for some reason ! :evil:

It dont matter though , there is no way in hell I could ever net him in this tank anyways ... whatever happens... happens in this tank now

This tank should fill in nice I hope.

My bristlenose "pair" are also showing signs of breeding as well. I am feeding them more zucchini these days, the guy that breeds them locally says that the zuc's in the diet are the key he feels... we will see.
Old 09-27-2003, 02:23 PM   #7
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Buck: you can plant the glosso deeper with just the tips of the leaves showing. The plants will send off runners with new growth and the old leaves will die off. This should protect them from being uprooted till the new growth begins. Once the new runners take root they will be very secure in the substrate.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2003, 02:59 AM   #8
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

ALGAE GROWTH !

Ohhhhh no.....
Its a pretty green hair algae and its only on one side of the tank (the front of course) !!! :evil:

What a coincidence that the front of the tank is the only one to see natural light. As the year grows longer and the sun sets differently, I have a nice beam of "sunset" direct light on my tank face at an angle.

How can only 20 minutes of this light effect my tank face...geez
Old 10-03-2003, 06:13 AM   #9
metallhd
Algae Grower

I had a similar problem, with the tank angled near an east-facing window with a big tree for sunlight to pass through. Fortunately, with the tank sitting at 45 degrees to the wall I can cover the side that's just not visible, and have not had a problem with growth on the glass since. In my experience I have found even a small amount of sunlight is all it needs - not too surprising when you consider what a simple organism it is.
metallhd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2003, 12:31 AM   #10
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

I took this photo this morning after some heavy trimming. My balansaes are still mad about the move I guess and all the larger leaf stems of it were badly attacked by algae. Each leaf was dying that had the algae on the stem so I had to clip them :?
On a good note though the glosso is taking hold and my native acquired Ludwegia variety (front right corner) is just gettin sweeter by the day with the CO2. Somehow I need to work a stand of this into the tank through clippings.

I also stood up the driftwood in the center and put the java ferns up there, the bristlenose pleco's seem to like it upright better. They were steering clear of it a bit more when it was on the bottom, I think the cory activity irritated them, dunno. :roll:

Anyways Im kinda stumped, If anyones got suggestions for the look I sure am up for some cuz I still just feel Im missing something here.

Old 10-06-2003, 12:53 AM   #11
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

I'm coming over this weekend, I'll bring some stuff over from my tank. We gotta do something with those vals, I hate vals :twisted: .
Heres what I had in mind.Maybe move the vals all to the right or left corner. Move the lotus over to one side or the other. Move the ludwigia over to the opposite corner of the vals. We'll work on the rest when I get there Sunday.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:59 PM   #12
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

:shock:

You said HATE and Val's in the same sentence ? :hehe:

Ohhhhhh Noooooo !!... I luv my Val's !
The "ludwegia" was never really meant to stay there, it was just a place to put 2 small stems to see how they liked this tank, they started in the Nano and since that is gone they needed a home. Now that I see how beautiful they are I am definately planning to move them. I am just growing them out in that spot to get some nice stems to cut.

Now,
Would you consider building around the Lotus's ? The dang things just started to take off ! LOL

This oughtta be interesting.
Hey that Blyxa is doing very well, its turning a real nice bright green in the last couple days. Its almost as bright a green as the glosso now.
How does that stuff propagate? Runners? Splitting Rhyzome? Kool stufff indeed. Thanks again for it, always fun to try something new.

Sunday oughtta be a blast bro...

A Barbeque, The Patriots whoopin on the Giants , *maybe a beer*, and guttin out Bucks Vals ! :shock:

:hehe:
Old 10-07-2003, 01:16 AM   #13
Guttboy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Guttboy

GO PATS! GO SOX!

10 Gallon...20 Endler's live bearers planted, peat/kitty litter/sand substrate

15 Gallon...Just Schultz Aquatic Plant soil
Guttboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2003, 01:28 AM   #14
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

Is your weedwacker working OK, 'cause I can load mine into the truck to take care of those Vals :twisted:
Well at least the blyxa is doing well in somebodys tank :roll: . It reproduces thru side shoots, kinda like runners but usually above the substrate.
I think we can leave the lotus almost where it is, just over a little off center.
I can't wait to come over and watch the Giants plow the Pats. :lol:

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

Old 10-07-2003, 01:34 AM   #15
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

Marcel...

I won't question your taste in football teams (Jints!!!), but Buck's Vals are pretty sweet! Vals and Angels really go well together.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.