Benefits of manganese?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
kroner19
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Benefits of manganese?

I have some MnSO4 and can't find any info as to how to dose this and when. I do EI dosing on my 55 gal and can't find this specific fert on any of the calculators out there. Does anyone know how much (in tsp) and how often I should dose this? And on what day, micro or macro?
kroner19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (94/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroner19 View Post
I have some MnSO4 and can't find any info as to how to dose this and when. I do EI dosing on my 55 gal and can't find this specific fert on any of the calculators out there. Does anyone know how much (in tsp) and how often I should dose this? And on what day, micro or macro?
This is a trace element and not something you dose like you do other ferts. My suggestion is for you wait until you have more experience before you even begin to mess with this.

The Junkie
mrkookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #3
kroner19
Algae Grower

Ok, but how much more experienced does one need to be to dose this? My plants are doing great. I have my CO2 all figured out, my dosing regimen down to a T, my photoperiod is as long as I know I can get away with. I have very little, if any algae in my tank. Right now I think I'm getting pretty good with this whole planted tank life style. So why not add another trace element and see if I can get even better results. I mean, why would even offer this as a fertilizer if no one is going to use it? Theres got to be some benefit to adding some MnSO4 to the tank I just can't find much info on it (besides what deficiencies to look for that are the result of low Mn) or a fert calc that has it as one of the choices.

If anyone else knows some more about this trace element I would love to hear about it. Or if someone knows how my much I should dose and how often please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Mike
kroner19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
happi
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (20/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi

hi mike,

i use extra Mn in my own fertilizer, look at my signature for the benefits of the fert i worked on. you can calculate it at http://calc.petalphile.com/ and its called MnSO4.H2O

Mn is used in higher amount after Fe IMO in aquatic plants, however just like iron it is not very stable, soon as you add it to the tank it might be undetectable by end of the day. that is why dosing traces everyday is better than dosing 3x week.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Ok, but how much more experienced does one need to be to dose this? My plants are doing great. I have my CO2 all figured out, my dosing regimen down to a T, my photoperiod is as long as I know I can get away with. I have very little, if any algae in my tank. Right now I think I'm getting pretty good with this whole planted tank life style. So why not add another trace element and see if I can get even better results. I mean, why would even offer this as a fertilizer if no one is going to use it? Theres got to be some benefit to adding some MnSO4 to the tank I just can't find much info on it (besides what deficiencies to look for that are the result of low Mn) or a fert calc that has it as one of the choices.

If anyone else knows some more about this trace element I would love to hear about it. Or if someone knows how my much I should dose and how often please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,

Mike
Mike from my understanding, Manganese is already in your water supply along with calcium and magnesium. You may not need to dose it anyway.

If you are using RO water and using some type of GH buffer Mn is supplied that way as well. The way I see it, if your not seeing deficientcies and the tank looks good why bother.
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #6
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
Mike from my understanding, Manganese is already in your water supply along with calcium and magnesium. You may not need to dose it anyway.

If you are using RO water and using some type of GH buffer Mn is supplied that way as well. The way I see it, if your not seeing deficientcies and the tank looks good why bother.
he is talking about Mn (manganese), not Mg (magnesium). Gh booster does not contain Mn.

Old 02-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #7
Darkblade48

I share the same confusion that some other users have; why are you trying to dose manganese (Mn) into your aquarium?

A good trace mix, such as CSM+B, will already contain the necessary amount of manganese.

If you are dosing for sulfates, potassium sulfate is a much better chemical to use.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #8
latchdan
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by happi View Post
he is talking about Mn (manganese), not Mg (magnesium). Gh booster does not contain Mn.

The gh booster I use contains manganese (seachem equilibrium) I checked before I
posted. I figured other brands did too. I'm not confusing magnesium with manganese for both are in seachems gh buffer
latchdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #9
Darkblade48

According to Seachem's website, the amount of manganese in their Equilibrium buffer is 0.06%

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...uilibrium.html

For comparison, the amount of manganese in CSM+B is 1.87%, which more than meets the needs of plants.

In either case though, manganese is really only needed in trace amounts; you are likely to notice other deficiencies before a manganese deficiency.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
happi
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
The gh booster I use contains manganese (seachem equilibrium) I checked before I
posted. I figured other brands did too. I'm not confusing magnesium with manganese for both are in seachems gh buffer
sorry i thought you were using Tom barr GH booster.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #11
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Thanks,

Mike

Let us know how much more healthy your plants grow after adding this. Before and after pics would be great too.

The Junkie
Old 02-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

i added it to my CSM+b + chelated iron mix just for fun
i noticed no better growth results, color, or size
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
mrkookm
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Blazingwolf View Post
i added it to my CSM+b + chelated iron mix just for fun
i noticed no better growth results, color, or size
Too many factors

The Junkie
Old 02-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
Jeffww
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Mn is actually lower in csm than other mixes.
Jeffww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #15
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkookm View Post
Too many factors
This is under the impression plants actually need more of it?
i overdose trace elements as it is.. dont really have much of a growth issue.
my blyxa took over my 75 in two weeks. my ludiwiga cuba is growing about 3 inches per week
ludwigia repens has side shoots everywhere. i can't count its growth rate like that
ludwigia red. is 2 inches per week at 2 inches above substrate
at 12 inches above substrate it was about 3 inches per week and lots of side shoots
rotala colorata is close to 5 inches per week