"Is ADA substrate the Magic ingredient for breeding SHRIMP ? ? ?"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 02-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
SupaTank
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

"Is ADA substrate the Magic ingredient for breeding SHRIMP ? ? ?"

Okay, so I've tried everything over the past 13mth to keep my shrimps alive and breeding, but nothing seem to work? The only thing that I haven't try is ADA aquasoil, which from every videos/articles I read online, all seem to claimed that they have great success in breeding shrimps after switching. Does AS really make that big of a difference; is it the missing magical ingredient? Has anyone else had any success in breeding their shrimps in just gravel, sand, floramax, tap water, fish food, algae wafer, basic etc...?
SupaTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

What kind of shrimp, what kind of water params are you trying to keep them in.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
danielt
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can tell you from my experience using inert gravel that they don't require any special substrate.

Wait for someone who uses AS to tell you why as I haven't tried it myself. The only thing that's crucial to shrimp is stability in water parameters.

Keep everything as low as possible and they will do just fine. Ammonia is the main killer and Nitrates can stress them. The food is important as they have different needs than fish. You will need high Calcium content food so they can molt and build their shell.

If you don't have access to dedicated food you can improvise easily something better than fish food. Look for snail jello and shrimp homemade food recipes. They are better than plain fish food.
danielt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

i use all kinds of substrate, gravel, sand, and fss. i have never used aqua soil. depending on the type of shrimp it will help. need to know what kind of shrimp you have and what your parameters to be able to help.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
chou
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

ada amazonia helped me breed PFR shrimp, It also helped me grow my plants in all 4 of my tanks
chou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

It is the magic ingredient for most people that want to breed Crystal Red and Tiger shrimp. Other substrates are fine for most other shrimp.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Betta Maniac
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)

As others have said, it's all down to the kind of shrimp you want to keep and what conditions the ones you get were kept in.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #8
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It has to be your parameter and not the substrate alone. I've tried almost every type of substrate except Akadama and UP Shrimp Sand or those introduce later in 2012.

The key element to breeding is keeping the parameter stable and not fluctuate too much. Also another important thing is NEVER rush. Let the new tank cycle for at least 2-4 weeks before introduce shrimp. You can speed up by providing water from old tank but doesn't mean you can rush putting in livestock.

From experiences, ADA or active soil help lower PH which is ideal for some CRS and such, it does provide nutrient to plants. But other gravel and soil can do almost the same thing with additional addictive. I've breed shrimp in Home Depot play sand to expensive soil like ADA.

I've successful using Peat Moss filtered water to do my water change and keeping PH at a constant 5.8 in my cheap sand tank. So ADA soil is not the only way to lower PH.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
shift
Wannabe Guru

Default "Is ADA substrate the Magic ingredient for breeding SHRIMP ? ? ?"

For neo shrimp I use inert gravel and tap water. For crs I use 50/50 tap and RO water with fluval stratum subtrate. Seems to lower the ph to a happy level
10G - CRS/CBS | 10G - Red Rilli's | 10G - Yellow shrimp
shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 PM   #10
SupaTank
Algae Grower

CRS shrimp and oebt shrimp

Dirted tank / special kitty litter/ floramax/florite top
water parameter:
ph :7.0
kh :40/80ppm
Gh :30/60ppm
amo:0
nit:0
nitrate:0
degree:70f
Old 02-20-2013, 10:28 PM   #11
SupaTank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post
I can tell you from my experience using inert gravel that they don't require any special substrate.

Wait for someone who uses AS to tell you why as I haven't tried it myself. The only thing that's crucial to shrimp is stability in water parameters.

Keep everything as low as possible and they will do just fine. Ammonia is the main killer and Nitrates can stress them. The food is important as they have different needs than fish. You will need high Calcium content food so they can molt and build their shell.

If you don't have access to dedicated food you can improvise easily something better than fish food. Look for snail jello and shrimp homemade food recipes. They are better than plain fish food.

How long have you been keeping shrimps and what type?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #12
SupaTank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexinverts View Post
It is the magic ingredient for most people that want to breed Crystal Red and Tiger shrimp. Other substrates are fine for most other shrimp.
lolz, that exactly the shrimps i am trying to keep. I thought as long as the water parameter was stable, i am good?
Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #13
CookieM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaTank View Post
CRS shrimp and oebt shrimp

Dirted tank / special kitty litter/ floramax/florite top
water parameter:
ph :7.0
kh :40/80ppm
Gh :30/60ppm
amo:0
nit:0
nitrate:0
degree:70f
Do a Peat Moss filtered water. That's your only option if you are not using active soils. Search about Peat Moss on this forum you'll find many method of doing it. Remember to buy straight Organic Peat Moss.
CookieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Lexinverts
Maestro of Invertology

PTrader: (42/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupaTank View Post
lolz, that exactly the shrimps i am trying to keep. I thought as long as the water parameter was stable, i am good?
You might have success with peat moss or just keeping stable the params you indicated, but you are more likely to have success if you get ADA New Amazonia and use that. I wouldn't start a new tank with anything else if I wanted to breed Crystals, Taiwan Bees, or Tigers.

Save yourself time, money, and frustration in the long-run and start with the best kind of soil from the beginning.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=338362
Lexinverts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #15
SupaTank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielt View Post

High calcium content food never really cross my mind since I figured the special kitty litter would be enough since it made out of something with calcium in it. I was also under the impression that variety was the key, so i bought all the high quality food i can get my hand on from my LFS; all omega brand food, different algae waffer, blood worm, spirulina, spinach, dry, frozen you name it.

Tags
ada aquasoil vs other, crs breeding, vanish crs