3 10-gallon High School Project Tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
tempestuousfury
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

3 10-gallon High School Project Tanks

Hello All!

I will be a facilitator at a camp come July, and I will be guiding a group of high school students through the process of setting up planted and stocked aquaria (3 of them). I am looking for some articles, tips, journals (with pictures), etc. to provide the students with some examples as well as to gain familiarity with the process as well.

The tanks will be a 12-day process, so high tech equipment will not be used. Also, they are 10-gallon tanks, which I know will seriously limited fish and plant stock options, though the short length of time should make it possible to use plants that will outgrow the tanks as they won't have time for rapid growth.

My own experiences:
I was an avid aquarist for about 5 years, working with small to mid-sized tropical community tanks. I have had very limited experience with plants. By this, I mean I never specialized the tanks with respect to lighting, CO2, or fertilizers.

If you have any questions or need clarification, please let me know. I am running between various forums, articles, and books trying to become more capable of leading this activity, and any help I can get will be greatly appreciated.
tempestuousfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #2
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

the problem is a tank wont cycle in 12 days so it will stress any fish that go into it and the students wont learn the nitrogen cycle that needs done before adding any live stock.
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
Gtdad2
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

Perhaps you could run your intended filters on established tanks ahead of time. If not on established tanks, then you could set them up on a bare tank and use ammonia to fishless cycle.
The Fraternity of Dirt #58
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...k-warning.html
RAOK CLUB #20
Gtdad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #4
tempestuousfury
Algae Grower

I am hoping to run several sponge filters in a 20 gallon tank and bring those with me to the camp. Anyone have any ideas for how I could aerate the tanks during the drive? I would think it would be feasible to set up 2 air pumps with the DC ports in my car...

Also, it is definitely true that the cycles won't complete in time, especially as the addition of plants and fish won't occur until the 2nd week or so. However, with the above-mentioned attempt as well as instating several water changes, I would hope to at least give the students a taste of the cycling process, rather than having them complete the cycle themselves. Plus, I have created a log that I am using on my own cycling tank, so that will hopefully serve to introduce them to the process.
tempestuousfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:50 AM   #5
Django
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestuousfury View Post
I am hoping to run several sponge filters in a 20 gallon tank and bring those with me to the camp. Anyone have any ideas for how I could aerate the tanks during the drive? I would think it would be feasible to set up 2 air pumps with the DC ports in my car...

Also, it is definitely true that the cycles won't complete in time, especially as the addition of plants and fish won't occur until the 2nd week or so. However, with the above-mentioned attempt as well as instating several water changes, I would hope to at least give the students a taste of the cycling process, rather than having them complete the cycle themselves. Plus, I have created a log that I am using on my own cycling tank, so that will hopefully serve to introduce them to the process.
You can always plant a bunch of fast-growing, maybe stem plants, plants whose metabolism is faster and that use up more ammonia faster, and introduce a small number of small fish right away. this can be a little tricky, but if the light is right, the photoperiod is right, the fertilizer is right and the temperature and other water parameters are ok, substrate is right, it will work out. You will only have to run them for a few weeks anyways for teaching purposes. Ask for more on the "silent cycle" and google it if you want. It is not as difficult as it may sound, if you have enough information on hand and perhaps a pro to guide you. Good luck.
Django is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 AM   #6
merritt1985
Planted Member

They sell battery powered air pumps. You can find them in the fishing section of most walmarts or you can order them off Dr Foster and Smiths, they have a three pack for around 15 dollars.
merritt1985 is offline   Reply With Quote